Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications

Default Re: STARTPOS.ESF analysis and modifications

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    Hey, the how to relocate a whole army section doesn't work
    Here it is: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...08#post8727508

Quote Originally Posted by Scythan View Post
    To change the <<<END>>> date of a campaign I believe I have to edit the Startpos file, NOT the save game (sadly) and of course NTF changes out the Startpos file then reloads it upon exit.
    The second, would be to morosely go through every single ESF file uploaded by the NSF mod and change factions one-by-one, file-by-file.
    So I need some help, with the NSF mod how do I want to change the ENDING date of a campaign?
    You are right you have to change all factions one by one in startpos.esf. The right location for that is in victory conditions (CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO in startpos). It is not to much work if you can use Taw's esf2xml tool.

P.S.
    I prefer to change the ending date as the UI is so integrated with the one-turn-is-two-weeks system (saying Early MONTH and Late MONTH) that I feel screwing with the Turns Per Year/Month can only end in tears.
    You feel right about it. Messing with Turns Per Year/Month can cause series problems to AI (passive behaviour).
    Last edited by husserlTW; January 05, 2011 at 05:21 AM.

Scythan's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Here it is: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...08#post8727508

You are right you have to change all factions one by one in startpos.esf. The right location for that is in victory conditions (CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO in startpos). It is not to much work if you can use Taw's esf2xml tool.

You feel right about it. Messing with Turns Per Year/Month can cause series problems to AI (passive behaviour).
    I was worried about that, well at least I know it need be done - so I can do it. Onto the issue of using your Napoleon Total Factions mod, there are millions of startposses out there! Scattered through NTF folders throughout the root and one sitting in a folder called simply NTF within the campaign root, not in a numbered file.

Is there some roadmap or directory of what-startpos-controls-what (i.e. Folder 1 in Campaign's NTF folder is the Italian Campaign etc.) so I can can surgically strike exactly which startpos I need to edit?

And one last addendum; will updating this correctly show on the UI when I go to choose my nation? That is to say, when I click on say, Napoli, will it say "Hold X regions by [NEW DATE]" or is that somewhere else?

Thanks again Hussar, we really should be paying you.

You do not have to do it for all files. First of all have in mind that any change must be done in the file that is in numbered folders campaigns\NTF\x\. The oner that is in the campaigns\NTF\ is the last used and will be replaced next time you'll start the mod.

So change the one in 1 folder and then replace the VC in 2. 1 and 2 are grand campaigns for single player all playable and all emergent. 11 and 12 are the same campaigns but for multiplayer so copy there as well if you like so. The rest are the small campaigns (egypt, italy , peninsulla) with few factions. If you want to make the same there you have to do it again but there are very few factions.

UI takes info from startpos so it will be updated.
    Last edited by husserlTW; January 07, 2011 at 07:33 AM.

Alright Hussar, with your help I believe I almost have this all wrapped up!

In each STARTPOS inside the CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO are many subheadings

From there I believe I go into VICTORY_CONDITIONS_OPTIONS and change each faction, right?

However, this is Napoleon TW and I am not sure what the blocks mean in this game, in Empire it was like World Dom etc., yes? So I do not know which block to change; one block gives a year (1813) and the other says end turn and the # 24 but 24 is the number of turns per year, isn't it?

This has be confused, but I believe when I wrap this up I've finally got the start year changed in NTW!

I think vanilla is 1812 and not 1813. Anyway you change it in first DATE of 1st and 3rd block for each faction. But check also the second just in case because I saw that Austria has in there an entry as well.

In ESFEditor it's listed as 1813 maybe because the end date is december 1812, making the game actually end Jan 1813.

So I am to ignore the line that says

END DATE - 24

right?

Change only the first and third, yes?

But out of curiosity is there anyway to change this within a savegame?

I cannot see you couldn't change the save file as well.

24 is not End Date. End date is a comment written by user (you can write what ever you like in this column), because in Empire there it is indeed End Date.

If you can't see why I can't change in a savegame, where would this be changed at? I don't see any line that mentions Victory Conditions OR CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO

I simply want to make the end date 1860. I don't know where I'd do this in a savegame. Though I understand that the first and third BLOCKS in a startpos under "VICTORY CONDITION OPTIONS" and

<<not>>

"CAMPAIGN PLAYERS SETUP"

right?

Quote Originally Posted by Scythan View Post
    If you can't see why I can't change in a savegame, where would this be changed at? I don't see any line that mentions Victory Conditions OR CAMPAIGN_PREOPEN_MAP_INFO
    Good point! Well in a save game you have tio change VC under FACTION and under FACTION\CAMPAIGN_PLAYER_SETUP. The only problem with save is that when you'll start anew game all these will be lost. You cannot copy ot to a startpos because every save has different numbers.

Though I understand that the first and third BLOCKS in a startpos under "VICTORY CONDITION OPTIONS"
    Quit right.

Only needed to know for I already have a game going I would like to extend to 1860. For all new games and please correct me if I am wrong - I change the VC under campaign victory conditions in the first and third blocks under DATE to 1860 in folders 1 and 2 of Napoleon Total Factions and do that for each faction and it shall be permanent? If I have that right I believe I'm ready to go!

Yes you are.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm having a problem with the ESF editor, when I try to open it the icon appears on the taskbar but the window does not open. It worked fine before and I haven't changed anything since I last used it.

Can anyone offer any help?

Amazingly and without warning the same thing just started happening me tonight!

Use Esf Total Editor.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by husserlTW View Post
    Use Esf Total Editor.
    I couldn't locate this tool with a forum search. Would you be so kind as to provide a link? :/

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.
    Last edited by hippacrocafish; January 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

If I want to use the hybrid method to change the startpos for the great campaign as France, how can I make let say Bavaria playable instead of France, so I can start as Bavaria, modify the units and save?

Patrician Artifex

I've seen that, but it says "Open the startpos.esf file with EsfEditor form [NTW]/data/camaigns/mp_eur_napoleon and make these changes: ..."

I want to change the French campaign, not the coalition campagn. Can I do that with m_eur_napoleon?
    Last edited by Steph; June 15, 2011 at 01:42 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Ok, I tried that and was able to play as Bavaria in the French campaign. However, I have immediate victory. I can click on continue and then move my armies.

Is it safe to use this to prepare new armies position with the hybrid startpos mechanism for here?

Can it creates problem when I switch back to the main campaign starting as France?

Also, if I prepare starting position this way in the French campaign, and I want to do the same for the coalition campagin (ie have the same starting armies), cna I just get the set up from the French campaign, or do I need to redo the whole process again?

Same question about region and resources. I have added a lot of resources in the French startpos. Could I copy the whole region array from it, delete it from the coalition startpos and paste?

EDIT: a little more testing later
    - From eur_campaign folder, I edited the startpos. Made France non playable, Bavaria playable.
    - I started the game. I was playing as Bavaria, but the game started with immediate victory. I selected to continue.
    - I moved the Bavarian army and then saved.
    - I opened a copy of the previous startpos (where France is playable).
    - I deleted the campaign_model from that
    - I opened the save, copy the campaign_model and paste it in the startpos
    - In the startpos, I edited CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/WORLD/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION_ARRAY/FACTION/CAMPAIGN_PLAYERS_SETUP/, and change the middle True to False for Bavaria (to make Bavaria non playable again). By the way, the top false was now true. What's that for? Should I put it back to false?
    - I changed the same as above for France (but this time changed the middle false to true), saved and started a new campaign (BTW, the startpos file then is only 28 Mb instead of 30 Mb, is that normal?)

But when I start, I don't get the movie I normally have at the start (maybe because in the save game it says it's already played). I am France, I can move armies, and recruit normally.

However, it seems the fog of war is lifted, I can see the whole map.

Did I miss something or is it correct?
    Last edited by Steph; June 15, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

More or less all are correct. To avoid the victory message you have to add Victory Conditions for Bavaria. About video restore the 4 True/False in [...]\CAMPAIGN_ENV\CAMPAIGN_MODEL in your hybrid as they are in vanilla startpos. To restore Fog of War go in [...]\FACTIONS records of your new hybrid startpos, find Bavaria (it is the 1st one) go in CAMPAIGN_SHROUD and change False to True. Eur_napoleon and mp_eur_napoleon are 2 different campaigns in starting armies, scripts and thus missions, etc.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast