Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spamming in RTW forum

smoke's Avatar Positively positive

With Trax gone only a few days the spamming at the RTW-forum is allready getting out of control. I'm not accusing anyone in particular because i too have sinned.

Therefor i ask you, mods to keep an extra eye on this forum in order to keep it running smoothly and not letting it get mucked up by useless posts.

Sincerely -_-
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

I asked you to play nice while I´m gone

PM me few links to the spam topics, i see what I can do.

Thanks smoke. we understand your concern and are working to correct the errors. Trax is doing the work of three human beings in that place as it is.

NM
    Former Patron of: Sbsdude, Bgreman, Windblade, Scipii, Genghis Khan, Count of Montesano, Roman American, Praetorian Sejanus

My time here has ended. The time of the syntigmata has ended. Such is how these things are, and I accept it. In the several years I was a member of this forum, I fought for what I considered to be the most beneficial actions to enrich the forum. I regret none of my actions, and retain my personal honor and integrity.
    Fallen Triumvir

my offer still stands if help is required, if you would like references as to my ability as a good moderator (and admin who doesn't delete forums) please contact magpie at strategyinformer.com or Ashen at totalrome.com

Originally posted by the Black Prince@Jun 24 2004, 03:35 PM
    my offer still stands if help is required, if you would like references as to my ability as a good moderator (and admin who doesn't delete forums) please contact magpie at strategyinformer.com or Ashen at totalrome.com

Thanks, but no thanks
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

JvlivsCaesar's Avatar Civitate
    San Francisco, CA. But I whant to be in Sankt Peterburg.

Originally posted by borispavlovgrozny+Jun 24 2004, 06:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (borispavlovgrozny @ Jun 24 2004, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-the Black Prince@Jun 24 2004, 03:35 PM
    my offer still stands if help is required, if you would like references as to my ability as a good moderator (and admin who doesn&#39;t delete forums) please contact magpie at strategyinformer.com or Ashen at totalrome.com

Thanks, but no thanks [/b][/quote]
    LoL Say no to a dictatorships.
    Caveat Lector

Originally posted by JvlivsCaesar+Jun 24 2004, 11:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JvlivsCaesar @ Jun 24 2004, 11:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by borispavlovgrozny@Jun 24 2004, 06:53 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-the Black Prince
    @Jun 24 2004, 03:35 PM
    my offer still stands if help is required, if you would like references as to my ability as a good moderator (and admin who doesn&#39;t delete forums) please contact magpie at strategyinformer.com or Ashen at totalrome.com

Thanks, but no thanks
    LoL Say no to a dictatorships. [/b][/quote]
    Yes but there must be done something. Today i&#39;v seen the 3rd spam topic on the releasedate arrise and there are at least half a dozen threads that need closing.

But hey, it&#39;s all up to the mods...

-_-
    CAVE CANEM

"CA forced me to buy RTW2. CA made my buy all DLC's. Even the free ones. CA made me push the button."

dictatorships?

where?

everywhere&#33; all forums are a dictatorship jvlivs... this one is a slight exception in that some members have nominal voting rights in the decision making process, buts its really a formalised way of getting regular member opinion on key forum issues, in the same way a vote in a feedback forum works, but wirth the added bonus of excludig those members who don&#39;t participate.

if you have problems with spam, then logiically you take steps to correct the issue, such as appointing extra moderators for that forum.if such a moderator is all ready experinaced, volunteers and is willing, as well as knowing how trhe forum moderation controls work, then that is even better.
    take advantage of any and all assets available instead of investing in new ones...assest turnover..

falx's Avatar Civitate

I just say- use the spam warning tool. I am sure that after you banned the first one the others will calm down and consider their posts.
    It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog.

Agreed Falx, I have been giving warnings and MANY PMs, I hope it will show its effect soon. We mods like to be private about that so one doesnt really see the effect..

NM
    Former Patron of: Sbsdude, Bgreman, Windblade, Scipii, Genghis Khan, Count of Montesano, Roman American, Praetorian Sejanus

My time here has ended. The time of the syntigmata has ended. Such is how these things are, and I accept it. In the several years I was a member of this forum, I fought for what I considered to be the most beneficial actions to enrich the forum. I regret none of my actions, and retain my personal honor and integrity.
    Fallen Triumvir

falx's Avatar Civitate

Well you could post a &#39;spammer head count&#39; and a flashy warning (without any names) on the main forum page. This should suffice.
    It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. How about we do it like the police? The mods that get the most spammers in a month get promotions and higher pay? And we could have warning quotas. which means that when the month is about to end posters would have to be especially careful because the mods would need to get enough warnings&#33;

Do you have any idea how fast you were posting BOY?

NM

Fallen Triumvir

NM IS RIGHT&#33;

(i&#39;ll help out with modding when i get back to Florida)
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

if all the mods were more diligent in this forum, or another forum mod was appointed to help trax, you wouldn&#39;t have to breach the syntagma to alleviate the problem

Well, something has to be done.

we could create a sub class of spammers . A sort of underworldy class of junkies nd rejected spammers, flamers, etc...the political underclass of TWC...the sewage I like this is dea, because im elitist and have lost all sense of egalitarianism. I say meritocracy all the way
    He that will not reason is a bigot, He that cannot reason is a fool, He that dares not reason is a slave.

ummm yeah, all very nice and all, but exactly how does that prevent the spam?

I have an idea. We send all the spammers to an island (forum) where we let them kill each other in a bloody spam fest.

Lets call the forum... RTW

Fallen Triumvir

containment is not the best policy&#33;

firstly, the only people who should be dictating policy in any one of our forums should be the dictators, sorry, admin, not the spammers, you don&#39;t want to be setting some bad precedent here.

next, where does that leave those loyal TWC members who actually want to discuss RTW in a peaceful and spam free environment.

i think the civitates would be well within their rights to demand and expect some action on behalf of the staff team on this subject. afterall, we have 3 praetors, one admin, and trax to boot, all dedicated to wiping out the spam, supposedly. so far only GEN and Trax appear to be making any head way though.

i would suggest that those members who want to discuss RTW in peace come register at www.totalrome.com where i can assure my modding team and the staff in general have no tolerance of spam. however, that still leaves us with the problem of a spam infested RTW forum here on TWC, and those of us who come here because they like the nature of the place should not be driven out through spam, and a lack of action on behalf of some members of staff.

i say again, it would seem that you need to appoint someone to take care of this forum and assist trax, someone who knows what he&#39;s doing, is not afraid to take action, has experiance, and zero tolerance of spam, and you need to ake this kind of action now, before spamming becomes the accepted norm and not the exception in that forum

I agree with most of your comments, though i want to add some of my own.

firstly, the only people who should be dictating policy in any one of our forums should be the dictators, sorry, admin, not the spammers, you don&#39;t want to be setting some bad precedent here.
    Though i agree with you on this, i don&#39;t think it is desirable to have people dictate what can be said and what not. Let&#39;s make this an enlighted dictatorship. I&#39;d prefer it when the members take some of this burden upon their own shoulders. Call me a hopeless romantic but i think most of our members are mature and responsible enough to live by the rules that have been laid out by the founders. Imho it would be far beneficial when someone responsible goes over the rules once again, makes them known to all members. (pms them or posts them)

I think having a mod stalking the forum 24/7 in an agressive manor will do far worse for the atmosphere than the occasional *spam* Believe me, i&#39;ve seen it happen before. N00bs are easily scared away from participation when they encounter an over-eager mod.

I say again, it would seem that you need to appoint someone to take care of this forum and assist trax, someone who knows what he&#39;s doing, is not afraid to take action, has experiance, and zero tolerance of spam, and you need to ake this kind of action now, before spamming becomes the accepted norm and not the exception in that forum
    Hmmm...now who would be interested in doing that?

But yes, i agree that we must not let *spam* rule the RTW forum, because that is what is going to happen when we let n00bs run around there without properly knowing the guidelines are on which to post.

But i urge you to first look into the current rules, modify them if necessary and make them common knowledge to all.

After that there is still room for tough love...

*samurai2*

sincerely,

-_-
    CAVE CANEM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast