Thread: DELETE

Icon2 DELETE

DELETE
    Last edited by Lord Mongsworth; March 22, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Italian Campaign Historical Retexture / Touch up

Napoleon Didn´t have so much Interest like Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Choki View Post
    Napoleon Didn´t have so much Interest like Empire
    Sorry I don't follow what you're trying to say?

I made a suggestion elsewhere for adding the Russians as a faction during the Italian campaign, either having them start off as just an army or throwing them one of the territories on the outer edges of the map if they can't. Of course, they arrived towards the end of that campaign, outside of the time CA has it set for, but considering the actions of Suvorov in Italy, it's kind of like leaving the Normandy Invasion out of WWII.

It wouldn't be too hard to throw together some placeholder units for the Russians. Just color the some Austrians green to start with and work up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerg View Post
    I made a suggestion elsewhere for adding the Russians as a faction during the Italian campaign, either having them start off as just an army or throwing them one of the territories on the outer edges of the map if they can't. Of course, they arrived towards the end of that campaign, outside of the time CA has it set for, but considering the actions of Suvorov in Italy, it's kind of like leaving the Normandy Invasion out of WWII.

It wouldn't be too hard to throw together some placeholder units for the Russians. Just color the some Austrians green to start with and work up from there.
    They arrived when Napoléon was in Egypt...
    So of course they weren't included, given the fact that the italian campaign is the one of Napoléon, not much of a point of continuing it when he isn't even present.

On the other hand, Suvorov italian campaign would make a great "second italian campaign".
    Too bad the map doesn't include switzerland.

I really hate the fact that the soldiers have bare feet, is this historically accurate?

I've also wondered about the bare feet myself. I mean, really?I would love to get an answer from some history-savvy person.
    Suum cuique

I'm not sure about the whole line infantry thing but definitely some of the soldiers in the revolutionary army would not have had any shoes... Remember these are lower class men who have no money and the state also had little money with which to equip it's brand new army from scratch

It's a bit overplayed, but yes, the newly raised army with hundred of thousands of volunteers often lacked piece of equipment.
    Including only part of a uniform (pants, coats, hat) or no uniform at all wearing civilian dress. Some even lacked muskets.
    This situation was even more dire in the army of Italy as it was a secondary front, most of the supply available were sent to the armies along the Rhine.

Shoes are a costly part of the uniform and one that is used quickly by soldiers always on the march. French soldiers walked a lot, even more under Napoléon's command. Many of them had received already used shoes and didn't receive new ones when they became unwearable.

Now, it's also a part of the myth surrounding Napoléon, he received the command of an army of undisciplined scoundrel lacking weapons and equipment, not even decently uniformed and he pushed them to their limit making them the finest army in europe.

It's probably partly true, like many myths, but as i said, overplayed.

The soldiers probably looked more like a ragtag of brigands rather than soldiers, especially when looking at their well equiped and disciplined ennemies, but if some of them lacked proper shoes (wearing clogs, used shoes with cords, sandals/espadrilles/abarka, barefoot for the unlucky etc), it wasn't the case for full units.
    Last edited by Keyser; March 07, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Thank you for the answer Keyser. I figured it was something along those lines, that is, a shoeless infantryman (I take it cavalry were generally better equipped?) might occur, but that it is very overplayed in the game. Would it not be possible to mod the revolutionary infantry to have some of them wear shoes, while others would be bare footed. Or even better, make all of them have shoes, but of different quality? Some shoes are more ragged and torn than others.
    Suum cuique

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Von Fleischer♔ View Post
    Thank you for the answer Keyser. I figured it was something along those lines, that is, a shoeless infantryman (I take it cavalry were generally better equipped?) might occur, but that it is very overplayed in the game. Would it not be possible to mod the revolutionary infantry to have some of them wear shoes, while others would be bare footed. Or even better, make all of them have shoes, but of different quality? Some shoes are more ragged and torn than others.
    I read somewhere that the cavalry were actually the most neglected part of the army for a time due to the majority of pre-revolution cavalry being middle to upper class or foreign, which meant most of them defected after the revolution. Apparently they had to build a new cavalry wing from near nothing.

Oh and it is possible to change the entire legs mesh and texture but not just the feet at this stage

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mongsworth View Post
    I read somewhere that the cavalry were actually the most neglected part of the army for a time due to the majority of pre-revolution cavalry being middle to upper class or foreign, which meant most of them defected after the revolution. Apparently they had to build a new cavalry wing from near nothing.

Oh and it is possible to change the entire legs mesh and texture but not just the feet at this stage
    Oh I see, interesting! Thank you for the info.

If you ever feel that you can bothered to do it, I, and many others I am sure, would love to have our Frenchmen properly dressed with shoes!
    Suum cuique

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Shoes would be nice, as well as those little silly "Beret Caps" that look like what Gnomes wear !
    RTR RULES!!!!