Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast

Thread: BETA V: NAPOLEON: TOTAL COMBAT v4.0 (with 20, 30 & 40 stack army support!) MASSIVE 250+ Units Update!

BrodY's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATED)

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    That is one issue that I can assure you, from a technical point, has nothing to do with my mod.

If the changes I made, to the buildings, etc.. were to cause CTDs they would result in a 'black screen/load screen' crash, the sort of which would make the game either crash while starting up, or crash during battles. The changes I made would not make the game CTD during campaign play, despite effecting the campaign.

Are you using any startpos mods? Or have you made any startpos edits yourself?
    No, sir. I made sure I had vanilla NTW when I installed it. But I'm sure I'll find an explanation for this ^^

Actually, I increased the cannons to scale with the new unit sizes.

CA had 4 cannons per battery with units at 160 men per 'regiment.' That scales to 1 cannon per 40 soldiers. Therefore, to keep that ratio, I had to increase cannons to 10 per battery since units are now at 400 men.

If I didn't increase the number of cannons per battery, a unit of artillery would be useless.

In order to increase thier efficacy to scale with the new unit sizes I would have to more than double their kill rate. While I love lethal cannons, that would look and feel a little silly, given that the cannons already have a very effective kill rate.
    I just increased reloading rates to match the new unit sizes, works fine.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Cozur View Post
    I just increased reloading rates to match the new unit sizes, works fine.
    To be fair, Cozur, I never said it wouldn't work, of course it works. However, the purpose of the mod is to make battles larger overall, and to increase the 'vicersal' feel of the battles. Having more explosions, more rolling artillery fire, is what I am going for.

Also, for the sake of immersion in the game's content and setting, we must keep in mind that the artillery of the era was relatively slow firing and relatively inaccurate, just as CA has portrayed it. So aside from the longer ranges, I have opted for keeping the original CA artillery stats.

If the artillery has the reload rates and accuracy of, say, WWI or Franco-Prussian War artillery, that would be an immersion breaker, which in turn breaks the 'feel' of the battles, and bettering the 'feel' of the battles is what I am aiming for. Of course, whether or not I succeed at this 'feel' is up to you guys.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATE coming)

Also one more question, are muskets more lethal at short range and less at further range? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post
    Also one more question, are muskets more lethal at short range and less at further range? Or what?
    In this mod, while I increased the max range of muskets, I left the 'Range for Half Chance Hit' the same as CA had set it, which is 70. The max range of muskets is now 110.

That means that at any distance at or over 70, muskets have only half their normal chance of hitting their targets.

However, since more men are firing, these factors just about even each other out.

I do plan on slightly lowering kill rates from musketry, but only when I am finished 'tinkering' with morale. I hope to make morale a bit more dynamic.

The problem is, if I decrease the kill rates from muskets without making units have more 'realistic' morale, that is routing before they reach above 50% casualties, battles will always devolve into mindless melees since the AI won't maintain a firing line long enough to inflcit/receive the necessary casualties tobreak.

So lowered kill rates will come when the morale is fixed.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

The Line of Thor

Ok so I just played a battle with the 2 rank fire added. I am a bit confused on how the whole thing works, so is there an initial volley from the first 2 ranks and then random shots from the first 2 ranks? Watching my units fired it seemed like machine guns, and it was mowing down the enemies. So I am just trying to figure out if this was normal, or what. And how does the whole thing work?

@Thoragoros

Can you please add a small mod with the "two rank" fire only?
    I want to try it out on vanilla and to compared it with the "3 rank_fire" and the "mass_fire"....both of them introduced by many moders..
    Thanks..

To be fair, Cozur, I never said it wouldn't work, of course it works. However, the purpose of the mod is to make battles larger overall, and to increase the 'vicersal' feel of the battles. Having more explosions, more rolling artillery fire, is what I am going for.

Also, for the sake of immersion in the game's content and setting, we must keep in mind that the artillery of the era was relatively slow firing and relatively inaccurate, just as CA has portrayed it. So aside from the longer ranges, I have opted for keeping the original CA artillery stats.

If the artillery has the reload rates and accuracy of, say, WWI or Franco-Prussian War artillery, that would be an immersion breaker, which in turn breaks the 'feel' of the battles, and bettering the 'feel' of the battles is what I am aiming for. Of course, whether or not I succeed at this 'feel' is up to you guys.
    Yeah, but with the relative small deployment zones, I often find it to be a gamebreaker that my artillery is going to shoot the back of my own troops. I love the mod, just saying that it can be quite the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post
    Ok so I just played a battle with the 2 rank fire added. I am a bit confused on how the whole thing works, so is there an initial volley from the first 2 ranks and then random shots from the first 2 ranks? Watching my units fired it seemed like machine guns, and it was mowing down the enemies. So I am just trying to figure out if this was normal, or what. And how does the whole thing work?
    With two ranks firing, and the third occasionally firing when it is has a line of sight, yes, givine the larger unit sizes it is inevitable that there will almost always been a number of soldiers firing, just as in vanilla there was always one or two soldiers firing provided there was an enemy to shoot at. This is both historical and intentional.

so is there an initial volley from the first 2 ranks and then random shots from the first 2 ranks?
    Yes, this is vanilla behavior that currently cannot be changed, nor should it be given that it is quite historical for the time. The way CA has the units operating is essentially that after the first volley has been fired, the units will then blaze away at each other. However, it is more historical, and fun to watch, if there are two ranks firing at each other, with the third rank firing when they have a LoS.

As for the 'machine gun effect,' perhaps I should lower CA's original reload time, because all I changed was the range. Increasing it from 80 to 110. I will take a look at kill rates, but as I said, until I fix morale, if the kill rates are too slow, the battles will invariably result in mass melee because the AI won't maintain a firing line long enough for one side to route.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozur View Post
    Yeah, but with the relative small deployment zones, I often find it to be a gamebreaker that my artillery is going to shoot the back of my own troops. I love the mod, just saying that it can be quite the problem.
    If there is a call for it, maybe, but right now people seem to like the larger artillery sizes.

The Line of Thor

With two ranks firing, and the third occasionally firing when it is has a line of sight, yes, givine the larger unit sizes it is inevitable that there will almost always been a number of soldiers firing, just as in vanilla there was always one or two soldiers firing provided there was an enemy to shoot at. This is both historical and intentional.

Yes, this is vanilla behavior that currently cannot be changed, nor should it be given that it is quite historical for the time. The way CA has the units operating is essentially that after the first volley has been fired, the units will then blaze away at each other. However, it is more historical, and fun to watch, if there are two ranks firing at each other, with the third rank firing when they have a LoS.

As for the 'machine gun effect,' perhaps I should lower CA's original reload time, because all I changed was the range. Increasing it from 80 to 110. I will take a look at kill rates, but as I said, until I fix morale, if the kill rates are too slow, the battles will invariably result in mass melee because the AI won't maintain a firing line long enough for one side to route.

If there is a call for it, maybe, but right now people seem to like the larger artillery sizes.
    Ok.
    I can't wait until you figure out the whole morale thing, because I had 1 line infantry that was just mowing down 3 line inf's coming at me. They didn't even make a line they just melee charged me while I mowed them down. They never even shot once. So I hope you can figure it out soon!

This mod sounds great, going to try it out straight away, I will report back in a few hours!

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized

I`ve b playing this mod, and is great, just the militias are to stronges. Another problem is the (3 Ranks fire) make slow my computer.
    other problem is the dead bodyes desapear in some thime!!!!! That is anoying. I need to know if is Something in the mod, or is of N:TW. This never happend to me in total war games
    Last edited by Choki; March 08, 2010 at 05:53 PM.

I wish there was a 2 rank fire only separate mod or a version of this where the unit sizes stayed at default....too many fodder for my laptop orz. Nice work though!

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized

Quote Originally Posted by Choki View Post
    I`ve b playing this mod, and is great, just the militias are to stronges. Another problem is the (3 Ranks fire) make slow my computer.
    other problem is the dead bodyes desapear in some thime!!!!! That is anoying. I need to know if is Something in the mod, or is of N:TW. This never happend to me in total war games
    Bodies disappearing occurs when your graphics settings are up too high for your machine, or some such thing. It is a vanilla absed 'failsafe' implemented by CA, and is therefore hardware related.

Trying lowering unit scale to 'large.'

As for militias, yes, I agree. And in the upcoming update tonight militias will be less powerful.

The Line of Thor

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Thoragoros Thanks a lot!!! Great talent you have modeling Scripts!!! keep working!!! I Going to whait for the next release. +rep.

Can me Edit the 'failsafe' implemented by CA by scripts to leave the bodyes?

Thanks for this great mod really good, is there a way to get the first line to crouch though while the second fires in volleys ? rather than fireing at will.

played for about 2 hours great mod, with a strange problem.
    I read through the topic and saw that some people were encountering animation hickups while maintaining a smooth FPS, well I have the same problem!
    once my infantry opens fire, the animations start to act up, it becomes very choppy.
    As mentioned above my FPS stays smooth at all times, unit scale is at large (300 men) and particle effects are on High.
    Any known solution to this problem yet? This is a great mod but this really kills the game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hozemaat View Post
    played for about 2 hours great mod, with a strange problem.
    I read through the topic and saw that some people were encountering animation hickups while maintaining a smooth FPS, well I have the same problem!
    once my infantry opens fire, the animations start to act up, it becomes very choppy.
    As mentioned above my FPS stays smooth at all times, unit scale is at large (300 men) and particle effects are on High.
    Any known solution to this problem yet? This is a great mod but this really kills the game for me.
    There is no 'fix' for this since this is not mod related, it is graphics and processing power related. For instance, if you play Napoleon Empire Realism with increased unit sizes via the preferences script, you will experience the same choppiness.

This is game related.

You could setting the unit size to large for 300 men per unit and/or decreasing other graphics settings.

There is a 'fix,' I am currently uploading a vanilla fire version of the mod.

The Line of Thor

I have now updated the mod.

The Line of Thor

There is no 'fix' for this since this is not mod related, it is graphics and processing power related. For instance, if you play Napoleon Empire Realism with increased unit sizes via the preferences script, you will experience the same choppiness.

This is game related.

You could setting the unit size to large for 300 men per unit and/or decreasing other graphics settings.

There is a 'fix,' I am currently uploading a vanilla fire version of the mod.
    Thanks for responding, I have another question for you!

What is the difference between the Patched version and the Vanilla version of your mod?
    Sorry if I sound like a idiot, i'm just trying to get the most out of this great mod!