Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: BETA V: NAPOLEON: TOTAL COMBAT v4.0 (with 20, 30 & 40 stack army support!) MASSIVE 250+ Units Update!

Davius's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATE coming)

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post

Oh and I almost forgot, it might not be a bad idea to add some ammo to units, just slightly. I tend to find my units running out of ammo faster than vanilla.

Yes they do run out of ammo faster since more men are firing, I guess.

Great work, Thoragoros.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATED)

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    quick question Thoragoros. were there any graphic or effect changes in the lastest update. i seem to get some choppy animations in combat now. same settings and PC as I was using with the last version which didnt have the choppy animations. tried both the mass fire and the 2 rank versions. no big deal, just thought I would check.

awesome mod as always! the 2 rank version is actually alot of fun too. not sure which i like better.
    I hae not touched any fx or sfx.

The only files edited in the update are buildings_units_allowed_tables and units_stats_land_tabls

The animations are choppy in what way? Perhaps I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Davius View Post
    Yes they do run out of ammo faster since more men are firing, I guess.

Great work, Thoragoros.
    I will add a bit more ammo in the next release. Not a problem.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    I hae not touched any fx or sfx.

The only files edited in the update are buildings_units_allowed_tables and units_stats_land_tabls

The animations are choppy in what way? Perhaps I can help.

I will add a bit more ammo in the next release. Not a problem.
    Hm I thought that it was only me. I have the same problem. The fps is the same just the animations are choppy. It is not from the units sizes or from the firing drill ( as I thought), because now I am using another mod with the same unit size and mass fire and I have no problem at all.
    P.S As you know my problem dates from the first version
    The mod is really the best that has come out, but for me these animations are a gamebreaker :/
    Last edited by joreto; March 07, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
    &

Quote Originally Posted by joreto View Post
    Hm I thought that it was only me. I have the same problem. The fps is the same just the animations are choppy. It is not from the units sizes or from the firing drill ( as I thought), because now I am using another mod with the same unit size and mass fire and I have no problem at all.
    P.S As you know my problem dates from the first version
    The mod is really the best that has come out, but for me these animations are a gamebreaker :/
    This is very odd, obviously it must be related to the mod then. However, if you look at the pack, I have not touched anything relating to the animations.

Okay, the changes in unit_stats_land were simple enough to achieve, so I'll will start fresh from new files, and re-upload the mod.

Joreto, Gord, when I upload the new pack, could you guys test again and see if the animations are still choppy? I can't tell because on my end because everything looks and feels fine.
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 07, 2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

The Line of Thor

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Thank you Thoragoros for your help and responsiveness. I will be glad to test the new version as soon as it is uploaded
    &

Thank you Thoragoros for your help and responsiveness. I will be glad to test the new version as soon as it is uploaded
    I have tried converting the file type from 'movie pack' to patch pack.'
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 07, 2010 at 02:06 PM.

The Line of Thor

The new version has now been uploaded. It is entitled Total Combat PATCHED

The Line of Thor

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Unfortunately for me the problem is still there. I tested it a couple of times, even with 4 or 5 units in each army and the problem is still there. I have noticed that at the beggining there is no problem at all (just as it was in the previous versions), but when one of the units starts firing (it could be just one of the units, not necessary the whole army) the animations get really choopy (for example the bullets tracers, the movement of the generals bodygard, no matter how far are they from the fight).
    &

Davius's Avatar Senator

Hey, all... a little off track but I started a new Nap/Europe campaign and I'm at turn 21 and Prussia has not joined the Coalition, normally prompting the "Take Berlin" mission.

I'm asking here because before I installed the mod, Prussia always joined the Coalition by like Turn 3 or so, prompting the "Take Berlin" mission.

I realize the mod likely has nothing to do with this!
    Last edited by Davius; March 07, 2010 at 02:57 PM.

It lags because there too many tracers on the battlefield +smoke+ cavalry animations . Turn off tracers and no more spluttering.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

That sounds reasonable, but as I sad I tried it with smaller armies and the choppy animations are still there (the overall fps is not lower than usual). However it is possible that this is the key to the problem.
    &

Battlerager's Avatar Civis

The new version has now been uploaded. It is entitled Total Combat PATCHED
    Which firing system does the patched version contain; 2 rank or FBR? Probably not a major deal anyways, but ya never know.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHamster View Post
    Which firing system does the patched version contain; 2 rank or FBR? Probably not a major deal anyways, but ya never know.
    2 rank fire.

EDIT:

Guys, I'm really sorry for the delay here, but since I can't replicate the problem, and since I didn't touch anything that would effect the animations, it is very hard to locate the issue that some of you are reporting.

Perhaps knowing what you mean by 'choppy' will help.

Do you mean that the animations slow, or that the stop and go? Or do you mean that you are simply getting 'wrong' animations? Also, are these animation 'jitters' only for infantry, or does it happen across the board?
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 07, 2010 at 03:33 PM.

The Line of Thor

joreto's Avatar Tiro

The problem starts when one of the units starts firing(that means that before the two armies engage eachother there is absolutely no problem) and the animations just stop and go. But the camera movement is normal ( there is no fps drop). This choppy animations affects all the units ( inf. cav.....) no mater how far from the fight there are. Also by animations I mean bullets tracers, units movement(that includes fighting, firing, walking, reloading....). I have a suggestion. You can try removing the tracers and the mass and the two rank firing, just to try out if the problem is from the firing drill.
    Last edited by joreto; March 07, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
    &

aus-rotten's Avatar Semisalis

there is alot of great stuff in your mod (I prefer the 2 rank version), the only thing why I stopped playing with it, is the killfest. soldiers dropping like flies everywhere.
    I know you wrote that because of the bigger unitsize, you´re ok with the high lethality, but form me it feels too unrealistic.
    would be great to get this mod with a realistic musket lethatlity.

keep up the good work.

NO GODS -NO MASTERS
    just free minds

my brown power ass in your white power face.

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized (UPDATE coming)

1) Editing the tax system is very doable, I will 'tinker' with this. But how do you mean? Make tax increases more worth the drop in public order?

2) I definitely agree on this, however, certain buildings should take a bit longer such higher level barracks, colleges, etc.., but some of the more basic one are just way out there. I mean, around ten turns for a supply depot? Aren't supply depots temporary stations for armies on the move?

3) Yes, why does a steamship take the same time to build as a brig (5 turns)? Brigs, sloops, lower level frigates should be more in the three turn area, but I'll have to test with this. However I don't want to see the AI spending all its cash on navies, which may happen if I do this since the AI seems to replenish its naval losses almost immeidately if it has the cash on hand.

4) Again, this is possible and actually quite simple. More start cash could make things more 'interesting' quicker. Definitely more starting cash for France though, I still want to see France be tougher.
    I am glad to see you agree on some of my suggestions, the basic buildings faster and higher ups slower is a great idea! About the tax system I guess I mean more of a jump in income and more of an affect on public happiness from each tax setting.

Battlerager's Avatar Civis

Getting rid of the tracers should help people with slow-downs, the mod itself didn't change the animations of the game. It could be the sheer number of animations, however.

Anyone else finding morale to be very touch and go? One of my line infantry units lost ten people to a solid shot, then broke and ran...those were its only losses.

...I'd like a mod to get rid of morale completely, I tend to not worry about realism in some instances. I left the real war in Iraq, I prefer simple gaming enjoyment.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

The problem starts when one of the units starts firing(that means that before the two armies engage eachother there is absolutely no problem) and the animations just stop and go. But the camera movement is normal ( there is no fps drop). This choppy animations affects all the units ( inf. cav.....) no mater how far from the fight there are.
    yeah the same with me. very wierd as the FPS is still high. but it character models are choppy. i am going to load the previous version and double check. i will let you know.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

i can confirm that the last version (the one i downloaded on Friday) has no choppiness at all and runs very smooth. the choppy models only appear in the recent update. as joreto said above when the units start to fire the models get very choppy but the FPS is still good. very odd.

Joreto, Gordo, I managed to recreate the 'choppiness.'

It has to do with the particle effects. I have always played with particle effects on 'High' because I didn't care for the 'cloud' effect above units that is created by ultra. I changed the particle effects to 'ultra' and I received the same 'choppiness' that everyone seems to be getting, but only if multiple units were firing on each other.

However, I was not satisfied, after all, it could still be unique to my mod. To check, I tried JaM's Napoleon Empire Realism, and through the preferences.script I set his units to 400 men per unit to match my mod. I then set up another battle with nothing but infantry on either side, and with particle effects on 'Ultra' I played the battle, and there was choppiness. With particle effects on high, there was none.

So this 'choppiness' is not unique to Total Combat.

I then proceeded to run a second test, I removed mass fire/skirmisher behavior, and this time kept particle effects on ultra. Even with 19 units of 400 men per unit per side and particle effects on ultra, again, there was no choppiness. The choppiness seems to come from the particle effects created by the massive firing.

This is the only way I can recreate the problem on either version of my mod.

The Line of Thor