Page 12 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: BETA V: NAPOLEON: TOTAL COMBAT v4.0 (with 20, 30 & 40 stack army support!) MASSIVE 250+ Units Update!

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Napoleon: Total Combat, Thorized Version 2.1

hehe indeed. I made peace with Nappy and thought I could take it easy and focus on Italy and the Ottomans. Then a year later France declares war on me. No problem I think. I have a very experienced stack in Hesse that can take on whatever France has left. I beat them so bad in the first war that I sent most of my troops east....

I was shocked to say the least when Nappy himself advance on my territory in the lead with 3 full stacks. When I sent my spy in for a better look he still had two reserve stacks around Paris. hehe.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    I was shocked to say the least when Nappy himself advance on my territory in the lead with 3 full stacks. When I sent my spy in for a better look he still had two reserve stacks around Paris. hehe.
    That is exactly the kind of feedback I want to hear to let me know that campaign is indeed working properly. No more wimpy one or half stack invasions.

Excellent to hear, and I'm glad your enjoying it. You're feedback has been very helpful.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

The feedback from my Prussian campaign is very positive too. Especialy the battles are really epic and challenging (thanks to the BAI mod of Lutnik too). Also I know that at the moment the Aum mod is not compatible with Total combat, but I was just wondering are you going to include the new AUM units in your mod (if it is possible) ?
    &

i think the best way to do the AUM thing is perhaps to make it compatible instead of putting it in the mod. That way if people want to use it they can. But if people don't then they have the option to skip it as well.

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Yes that's exactly what I ment But the problem is that it might be too difficult to be made.
    &

It can be done, but I doubt if I will. Currently, AUM is still in its very early stages. Perhaps once AUM moves along a bit more to match the AUM of ETW, I might consider it.

I would need permission from the AUM creators, but it is a definite possibility.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

The Line of Thor

Hey, I ran NTW on vanilla flawlessly but I'm having a little choppiness, I heard his was because of the firing physics, like the little fire blasts, I know there's a setting someplace or other to make it better. It's a wierd kind of lag cos I can still move the cursor around fluidly but meh probs just gotta jiggle around with some settings here and there and I should be fine. The normal physics settings are on high not ultra, I'll have a look in the nvidia control panel

Awesome mod by the way, best released yet imo. Makes the battles epic which is to me quite important for a Napoleonic game.

Quote Originally Posted by CescPistols View Post
    Hey, I ran NTW on vanilla flawlessly but I'm having a little choppiness, I heard his was because of the firing physics, like the little fire blasts, I know there's a setting someplace or other to make it better. It's a wierd kind of lag cos I can still move the cursor around fluidly but meh probs just gotta jiggle around with some settings here and there and I should be fine. The normal physics settings are on high not ultra, I'll have a look in the nvidia control panel

Awesome mod by the way, best released yet imo. Makes the battles epic which is to me quite important for a Napoleonic game.
    If you are having choppiness you can try the vanilla fire version, or simply scale the unit sizes down to large and you will still have 300 men per unit but with better FPS.

The Line of Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    If you are having choppiness you can try the vanilla fire version, or simply scale the unit sizes down to large and you will still have 300 men per unit but with better FPS.
    Thor, I don't know if it was a bug or what. But I was just playing a campaign as Prussia, and I sent some spies over to Austria, they had like 8 stacks with only a few units in each. Is this normal? It seemed kind of odd that Austria didn't make any full ones.

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post
    Thor, I don't know if it was a bug or what. But I was just playing a campaign as Prussia, and I sent some spies over to Austria, they had like 8 stacks with only a few units in each. Is this normal? It seemed kind of odd that Austria didn't make any full ones.
    This is 'normal' AI behavior. The AI has a tendency to only bunch its units together into large stacks either when it has decided upon an 'attack' route, or when it feels threatened, or when the units, obviously, are bunched inside of a city. Leaving the units 'unstacked' leaves the option open to the AI to launch raids, which is seems to 'like' doing.

Also, please note, that I haven't made any actual AI changes, which means my mod does not effect the way the AI handles its armies, units, stacks, etc.

Also, it depends heavilyn upon the situation in which the AI is, for instance, here are some pics, (yes, they are kind of low quality, sorry)

Prussian Units seem to be dispersed, but only because there are no perceived threats.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

France, which has recently lost a province to me, perceives a threat and has THREE full stacks in a relatively small area AFTER suffering a series of major defeats.

Italy is in disarray after several massive defeats in the last two turns,

A turn later, Italy Has consolodated its forces,
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 11, 2010 at 11:10 PM.

The Line of Thor

Senator

By the way. This is your darthmod! And we don't need to wait anymore, when darthfather thinks to make mod or not.
    Anyway , thank you for this. I try it later.

Thanks for your mod. I've tried several others and they've all let me down. I was on the verge of just giving up the search for a mod that struck a balance between realism and gameplay until I stumbled upon this thread.

Yours is an excellent balance

(even if artillery are a smidgen too powerful, and cavalry a smidgen too weak.) =P

Thanks!

edit: also skirmishers don't seem to be working properly.
    Last edited by mil0; March 12, 2010 at 06:29 AM.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by mil0 View Post
    Thanks for your mod. I've tried several others and they've all let me down. I was on the verge of just giving up the search for a mod that struck a balance between realism and gameplay until I stumbled upon this thread.

Yours is an excellent balance

(even if artillery are a smidgen too powerful, and cavalry a smidgen too weak.) =P

Thanks!
    Artillery was at this time the most powerful weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciisar View Post
    Artillery was at this time the most powerful weapon.
    This may be true, but I have a hard time imagining Napoleon massing nothing but artillery and succeeding

http://i43.tinypic.com/24vn23t.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/29cs70w.jpg

This may be true, but I have a hard time imagining Napoleon massing nothing but artillery and succeeding

http://i43.tinypic.com/24vn23t.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/29cs70w.jpg
    While this can certainly depend on what kind of artillery you had and what the force composition of the enemy was, I 'have' said that I will attempt to find a 'compromise' for the artillery in the next release.

There are those who love the artillery as it is, and those who don't. I will, however, attempt to find a sort of 'in between.'

However, please keep in mind that I am not 'balancing' units according to custom battles, but rather according to Campaign map battles. Now, on the campaign, it is common to see, for instance, French forces sporting 1-3 rocket troops along with a mix of howitzers, 6lbers or 12lbers usually making for a total of about no more than 3-6 artillery units.

I want to have to worry about those artillery units. I want to have to consider how to take them out throughout the course of the battle knowing that they're going to cause panic and death within my lines, just as real life commander during the Napoleonic Wars had to worry.

If the arty can just sit there blasting away without causing any real damage, it would be wiser for me NOT to focus on taking out the arty and just focus on routing the enemy. I 'dont' want that to be the case.

Artillery needs to remain powerful, but yes, I will try to find a compromise.

and cavalry a smidgen too weak.) =P
    I would like to explain my stance on cavalry a little bit.

First off, I have not touched the stats on cavalry except to make them larger. However, I have made volleys more powerful by allow more men to fire at once and by increasing their range.

What does this mean?

This means that launching frontal assaults with cavalry against soldiers ready to fire is suicide, just as it should be. Since the AI now uses its cavalry primarily as flanking forces, this doesn't harm the AI as it did in ETW. I don't want to see cavalry forces that are able to launch frontal attacks unaided and somehow break through the line of fire from multiple musket armes troops.

Cavalry can still swarm and overwhelm isolated musket units, can still launch successful flank attacks against entire formations, and can still destroy unguarded artillery, what cavalry cannot do is charge the line and expect to survive.
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

The Line of Thor

Those images youre posting dont seem to work mate. Also how goes getting permission to use Lutniks AI mod in collaboration with yours?
    Supporter of Facial Hair for extra Manliness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Os View Post
    Those images youre posting dont seem to work mate. Also how goes getting permission to use Lutniks AI mod in collaboration with yours?
    I knew I should have just played it safe and waited for user images

To be perfectly honest, I have yet to try Lutnik's mod. But I will be doing so in the coming days. I like what I see, I will include it with Total Combat providing he gives me the go ahead.

The Line of Thor

joreto's Avatar Tiro

Ok here is my review after playing 40 turns in the Prussian campaign.
    Battles..
    The battles are very well balanced, including the artillery. Yes they may seem too powerful but that's how it was in the reallity. The thing I like the most is the two rank fire for the elites only which make them feel different from the line infantry. The AI is much better too ( thanks to the Luntik BAI mod). They are forming a proper line, using their cav. to flank my units. My only concern about the battles is the small deployment area, which as far as I know can't be moded for now.
    Campaing....
    Unfortunately, unlike the battles the campaign seems very unbalanced. I am playing on VH/VH and after 40 turns (or 2 years) I have about 20 000 and I have nothing to spend them about. Altough I have six full stacks, I am earning about 10 000 a turn. Yes there are bigger battles and the AI seems to atack with bigger armies.The economical part of the game doesn't matter. Now it's all about winning the battles. I think that this should be fixed, because after 40 or 80 turns ( in the late part of the campaign) the player and AI will have much more money.
    &

Quote Originally Posted by joreto View Post
    Ok here is my review after playing 40 turns in the Prussian campaign.
    Battles..
    The battles are very well balanced, including the artillery. Yes they may seem too powerful but that's how it was in the reallity. The thing I like the most is the two rank fire for the elites only which make them feel different from the line infantry. The AI is much better too ( thanks to the Luntik BAI mod). They are forming a proper line, using their cav. to flank my units. My only concern about the battles is the small deployment area, which as far as I know can't be moded for now.
    Campaing....
    Unfortunately, unlike the battles the campaign seems very unbalanced. I am playing on VH/VH and after 40 turns (or 2 years) I have about 20 000 and I have nothing to spend them about. Altough I have six full stacks, I am earning about 10 000 a turn. Yes there are bigger battles and the AI seems to atack with bigger armies.The economical part of the game doesn't matter. Now it's all about winning the battles. I think that this should be fixed, because after 40 or 80 turns ( in the late part of the campaign) the player and AI will have much more money.
    Hmm...although this has not been my experience, I will look into it.

However, I am going to need more feedback from other users in regards this and see if they are having the same experience.

Is anyone else having Joreto's experience?

The Line of Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    Hmm...although this has not been my experience, I will look into it.

However, I am going to need more feedback from other users in regards this and see if they are having the same experience.

Is anyone else having Joreto's experience?
    i dont think that Joreto's findings are really because of the mod itself. It seems even people in vanilla, by later parts of the game, have way more money then they can spend. it seems like it's a vanilla issue. your mod probably speeds this up with the extra money early, but it is not the cause of it at all.