Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC System Upgrade for DarthMod

Default PC System Upgrade for DarthMod

Hey everyone,

Looking for some helpful input on what to upgrade next on my computer to help play those Darth battles smoother. Currently I can run everything on max (with the exception of the SS-shading checkbox thing). Frames jump from time to time and my pc definitely chugs along during huge battles. With the exception of a graphics card update, would it even be worth upgrading right now - see pc specs? So, pc specs:

Graphics Card: EVGA Nvidia 9800GT
    Processor: intel dual core E6600 @ 2.4ghz
    Memory: Corsair DDR2800 Memory, 4 gigs - running at max 3.5 for windows 7...

Essentially, the only two things I could think of upgrading are my processor or my memory. I'd like to avoid graphics cards at the moment, as I just upgraded about a year and a half ago - and they tend to be expensive. An increase in memory wouldn't give me much of a boost, and I'm fairly certain neither would a new processor. Total War games only recently delved into the dual core technology, so I definitely wouldn't upgrade to a quad core anyway - most software is still getting used to duals...

What do you guys think? Is it even worth upgrading if I'm not going to upgrade my graphics card? Alternatively, I could attempt to OC, but I typically don't.
    Last edited by Syntax; March 12, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Default Re: PC System Upgrade for DarthMod

What do you guys think? Is it even worth upgrading if I'm not going to upgrade my graphics card?
    Nope.

WinXP 32-bit can only utilize ~3 gigs of memory. Adding any more than you already have is useless. If you want to up your processor, go for one with less cores and higher Ghz rather than more cores and lower GHz b/c ETW doesn't take good advantage of the 3&4th cores. The graphics card is your big bottleneck if you want things to look pretty.

Senator

Default Re: PC System Upgrade for DarthMod

Save your money at wait at least till autumn/winter this year and then update your whole PC

Your actual PC is still sufficient to play ETW, NTW and other recent games ...

No0dle

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [QUESTION] PC System Upgrade for DarthMod

we have almost exact same system!

i got my core 2 duo e6600 overclocked to 3.1ghz atm. and bought a radeon HD 5770 Sapphire 1gb g-card and got 4gb ram 800mhz and was on windows 7 but now back to xp 64 bit.

i got the g-card and it made a big performance boost for etw in general, and NTW is amazing with all settings at maximum.

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Syntax's Avatar "Veni Vidi Vici"

Quote Originally Posted by Streen15 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Looking for some helpful input on what to upgrade next on my computer to help play those Darth battles smoother. Currently I can run everything on max (with the exception of the SS-shading checkbox thing). Frames jump from time to time and my pc definitely chugs along during huge battles. With the exception of a graphics card update, would it even be worth upgrading right now - see pc specs? So, pc specs:

Graphics Card: EVGA Nvidia 9800GT
    Processor: intel dual core E6600 @ 2.4ghz
    Memory: Corsair DDR2800 Memory, 4 gigs - running at max 3.5 for windows 7...

Essentially, the only two things I could think of upgrading are my processor or my memory. I'd like to avoid graphics cards at the moment, as I just upgraded about a year and a half ago - and they tend to be expensive. An increase in memory wouldn't give me much of a boost, and I'm fairly certain neither would a new processor. Total War games only recently delved into the dual core technology, so I definitely wouldn't upgrade to a quad core anyway - most software is still getting used to duals...

What do you guys think? Is it even worth upgrading if I'm not going to upgrade my graphics card? Alternatively, I could attempt to OC, but I typically don't.

Hello there - first is overclock that CPU as per instructions in the overclock forum - 3.1 - 3.4 GHz according your cooler - and always check the core temperature not the CPU itself as this may be differ a lot!!! Just Google a lot of free tools to check this! But be aware overclocking the CPU will cancel your warranty on the CPU and its a serious business where some have to know what he is doing, - a lot of information to study!!!!
    Or go general for a new CPU - the price is in the basement at the moment!!! As foe 150 USD you get high end CPU's but of course look first what supported by your Motherboard!
    The Graphic-cards are also not that expensive - but here I would wait a bituntil Nvidia come out with their Fermi - Technic!

So as the code of ETW is not really the best - means the game uses max 2 cores and them not to 100% - I would say for ETW your bottleneck is your CPU!
    Look at this Link: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...CPUs/Practice/

In general I would say your Rig is a little weak for the markets high end games (as also ETW) and games coming out soon.

Hope that helps a little!

A while ago some user posted that you get some feeling what a high end rig costs you at the moment!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Processor Intel Core i5-750$199.99
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R$139.99
    MemoryCrucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333$93.99
    GraphicsXFX Radeon HD 5770 $179.99
    StorageWestern Digital Caviar Black 640GB$74.99
    Samsung SH-S223L$31.99
    AudioIntegrated$0
    here I would go with a Sound-card!!!
    EnclosureAntec Sonata III w/500W PSU$109.99
    TotalBuy this complete system $830.93

But that's still a lot of cash.....but some would have a real good rig!
    Hear you.....

Maybe you also look at this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=330531
    And specific this:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=324694
    Last edited by Syntax; March 07, 2010 at 11:34 AM.

It's certainly not the best, but given that I can play almost any game at max settings with decent fps (NTW I have everything maxed, with exception of SSAO - that's a killer...), I'm still content with my build. I do agree though as far as cpus are concerned, I've been hearing a lot of good things about the i7 series. As far as cooler goes, I quickly got rid of my old heatsink for a zalman. My temps run an idle 30 C (I use coretemp) - very good for OC'ing, but I never took the time to really read up on overclocking. I have done it before, learned all about the timings, the voltages, etc.. but in general, I always thought it was more work than it was actually worth - at most we're talking about a nice 5fps in-general increase, but nothing outstanding. Most top-end video games are so video-card intensive that, as long as you have a decent processor you'll be fine.

Still, it's not a bad idea to look into OC'ing it. And I hate ATI cards. Catalyst drivers are nightmares...going to avoid buying any video cards in general at the moment. I could potentially OC my video card, but this is even more risky. I have heard EVGA's precision thing helps a LOT with the OC, but I don't know anything about OC'ing graphics cards other than the risks involved.

@Marku

I'm curious, why did you switch back to XP? Compat. issues with other games, or just personal preference? We are talking about the difference between Win7 64 bit and WinXP 64 bit yes?

@ Syntax

Very nice rig by the way. I only wish I could afford half those items - let alone your graphics card. I built my computer about 4 years ago, and I'm damn proud its lasted me this long without OC'ing a thing. One question, what windows are you running? I'm guessing a 64 bit, as you have tons of memory. Would the difference between ddr2 800 and ddr3 1333 be that great? I doubt it would, but I'm curious as to what you may think. I researched all this stuff 4 years ago when my rig was still top of the line, but I haven't done any researching really since...

Hello Street15 - that proposed rig is done by a user and for low price reasons where he want to demonstrate that some may have a high end rig at this time at an actually low price compared to a year ago!
    This is not my rig!!!
    I myself using Vista 64 bit - but will soon upgrade to win 7 - its already on my desk - the issue which I'm not sure yet how is the support on win 7 drivers?
    Concerning the RAM there is certainly a difference - but its not that big as some would imagine - its just the new technical improvements and motherboards, CPU's force you to upgrade - of course it have some advantage over DDR2!
    And concerning you rig I didn't mean it is bad - as you said you still can play and hold the line in games - but it is outdated - but that's with every rig the same some build it buy it - and some come home it's already outdated - as newer better parts are available - so it's a bit of a question for yourself how much money do you allow yourself to spend in your rig over the years - as for some may 1000 $ be very much and for others its not the big deal!
    But as long as you can play the games you like no need to change!
    Concerning the overclock you mentioned - that also differs in CPU lasting game it helps a lot - I go up my i5 750 rig and i7 920 rig to 3.6 GHz and in ETW it brings you about 16 - to 20 frames! i5 from 2.6 - to 3.6GHz! but that's not even in a critical stage for these new processors - still no much increase of the voltage - or heat - max 60 degree and that's very save side!
    But as said you will fall out of the warranty, and in other games which are more Graphic Card stressing overclock doesn't show that big influence - like you rightly mentioned!
    Hear you....and as comparison I myself like for gaming the i5 750 better as the i7 920 - but if some have a lot of programs running near by the i7 series is to prefer as it also supports multitasking!
    Last edited by Syntax; March 07, 2010 at 11:39 AM.

Im currently running:

7 ultimate 64
    i7 quad at 2.6 (about to oc to 4)
    6gig DDR3
    Rampage Gene ii motherboard
    and a radeon 4870 x2

AND STILL i get like a minute lag spikes when i finish a round and don't end the map page in the americas then when i switch to that view its hell for a minute, battles can be laggy at times when large.. and loading is a for battles at times.

I have given up trying to make this game run 100% smooth as i don't think it ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by Axius View Post
    Im currently running:

7 ultimate 64
    i7 quad at 2.6 (about to oc to 4)
    6gig DDR3
    Rampage Gene ii motherboard
    and a radeon 4870 x2

AND STILL i get like a minute lag spikes when i finish a round and don't end the map page in the americas then when i switch to that view its hell for a minute, battles can be laggy at times when large.. and loading is a for battles at times.

I have given up trying to make this game run 100% smooth as i don't think it ever will.
    What resolution do you play - as what you reported is not possible there is something wrong in your Rig, hardware!
    As I play on i5 750 OC to 3.6 and I am on 2560/1600 Resolution! and I may play huge battles up to over 20.000 men on the field all maxed out (ultra)..and the frames go down to max 15!!! Which is still okay to play - but of course smooth I would call everything over 20 frames in that game!
    You oC to 4GHz and have this issues - something wrong - maybe also the driver - No0dle may tell you which driver he use as I'm on Nvidia!
    But with all your given info you should get a smooth gaming - tell us tour screen resolution and driver version!
    Concerning the loading - yes this may need up to 40 seconds.....that's a program issue cant be solved by modders - as some have to understand the a huge amount of data have to be loaded! All games on the market who have this big amount of information to load are in the same time as ETW - maybe some faster - some even longer - but I can't find that game breaking!
    Hear you.....the issue in your rig have to be hunted..... well try to advise....

The latest catalist driver, i run a res of 1680 x 1050, i havn't oc'd the system yet i bought the cooler the other day but havn't got around to the actual overclocking yet. I would love to resolve this problem to be honest, thank you for taking an interest

btw i wasn't saying the lag is the mods fault its the games, but yeah once again thanks for taking an interest my post wasn't aimed at getting help as i was sure there was nothing i could do

Like said we will try to find out what's wrong, but as I am aware CA had done poor coding so the most stressed part is the CPU and that only to two cores not fully! Therefore SEGA reported they will do a new patch which supports the quad core technology.
    Currently I see only your CPU speed is low for this huge game and data lets look what the OC brings as with this CPU and the right cooler you may go stable and without any issues on 4.0 GHz - but you aware that you fall out of any warranty! What No of i7 you have the 920?
    Your other specs are top!!! - motherboard - graphic card....CPU !!! - maybe let us know what RAM you have 1333 or 1600? (it has not such a huge influence now - just in the case of the mentioned OC) So what PSU, what hard disc and what DVD/CD device? And last what driver you play - that's all whats needed from our side - maybe - yes I forgot the important Sound Card?
    And you studied this link: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...CPUs/Practice/

ram is 1600, the game runs on my main hdd thats a 74gig raptor 10,000 RPM (older version) cpu is the 920.

Soundcard is the one that comes with the mb, its a pretty decent one to be honest. Not sure the problem would be there.

just had to search for my psu lol could remember it, its
    600W Silverstone Strider ST60F Quiet Quad SLi PCI-E EPS12v ATX Quad 12v v2.01 120mm Fan PSU

i bought the best air cooler you can get for OC on the i7's i will have no problem there, the warrenty doesn't bother me at all to be honest.
    DVD isn't anything special

All top quality - so as assumed it's probably the "low" GHz? - as ETW not support the CPU accordingly....post your frames - general feeling after you got your CPU up in GHz!!!
    Is the sound-card the small one you plug in [CREATIVE] the Motherboard? - if so also very okay
    Hear you...

it will be probably mon - tuesday before i get time to overclock ill get my average fps in battle and on map as it is before and after and repost

Thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Axius View Post
    it will be probably mon - tuesday before i get time to overclock ill get my average fps in battle and on map as it is before and after and repost

Thank you for your help

Thanks would be interesting to see the frames comparison!
    Hear you when you are finished with this job.......good luck.....

Regarding overclocking the CPU,

I did this a while ago, but it seems I'm a bit rusty. Currently I am running at 27ish C idle, 48 under load using Prime95 tests. My system is ideal for overclocking, but the last time I tried I failed and gave up. I ended up having to reset the bios. Are there any good guides that you guys know of? I read a few of them, but I still end up too scared to do anything mainly in the voltage areas. I looked at the bios already and I am running 9x core speed of 266 = 2394 (2400mhz). If I were to overclock, it would be the 9x that I would be increasing correct? If I changed it to, say, 12x, I'd get about 3.1ghz as mentioned above with the same dual processor. However, changing this would also upset my memory speeds right? And I'd have to do it incriminents and figure out how much voltage needs to be increased, right? I can set the voltages to automatic - the description says it will automatically adjust voltages to stabilize the system, but I fear the program is too stupid for its own good.

Any helpful advice here?

Just change the multiplier and let all other on auto settings - with this new ASUS Motherboards its that much easier to OC then a year ago
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [but I would suggest not to use their OC tool which is under windows - as this is just too much on the save side - means you got too much volts and heat - always the best OC is the BIOS!]
    - you may after play around - look what the auto set on the voltage - which is most times a little to high - and try in slow steps to reduce the automatic volt settings - and run prime95 stress test....until you find the sweet spot same for CPU and RAM!
    For a good website I have to look as actually I just do it now over years myself and seldom look any more at the suggestions - maybe you find your board and the BIOS settings for OC - in the overclocker forum - Google!

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: [SOLVED] PC System Upgrade for DarthMod

i play alot of old games that some dont like windows 7. im pretty annoyed with Just cause 2 being windows vista/7 only :-/

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Default Re: [SOLVED] PC System Upgrade for DarthMod

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...er-review.html -

install in 2 days!!!

Really don't have the time to do it sooner! but i hope i see some good results because i was in a 2 full armie battle today and it lagged to high hell when i put the speed multiplyer on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast