Page 9 of 175 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback & Discussion] Napoleon Empire Realism

Default Re: Napoleon Empire Realism Mod

it should work fine with running campaign... at least i didnt had any problems when i updated my files..

Semisalis

Just downloaded this, seems like a definite improvement over vanilla. I did however find my ships, especially first and heavy first rates, to be turning very fast. Maybe you could lower this since it felt unrealistic.

yeah, thats the plan for next release... but it might take some time as that file is so big, so many values to edit...

Semisalis

Ah great! Also if you decide to increase unit sizes I suggest leaving the number of cannons at 4. The number of cannons in each battle is already large compared to army sizes and each cannons could just be more powerful instead.

Maybe in future releases. Changing unit sizes also require editing startpos files, so number of men will be consistent for new units and those you are starting the game with. Its easier changing it via preference script, as it has impact on all units, new or predeployed

btw, i just found why CA is using square icons for battle map... icons always face north, so in some battles icons facing is incorrect... so looks like my little add-on will have to be reworked
    Last edited by JaM; March 07, 2010 at 03:13 PM.

Jam I’ve played five battles tonight with version 3 and perhaps it’s just me but the grenadiers seemed more prone to melee. In one battle the Old Guard and two other Grenadier regiments charged my lines without firing. Could this be because they all have the fear factor now and the BAi is using it in this way. Also the battles don’t seem to last as long as with version 2.

hmm, interesting. will do some tests, thing is BAI is too complex, you do one small change and it could influence many things... its quite possible AI decided to charge because of scary trait ..

Length of battle depends on casualties, i have increased some morale penalties for army destruction, to make battles less total for AI... most of the time they fight to death, they loose experienced units so they can't regenerate and player then face only rookie enemy troops... again, i will make more tests and see, if morale drop will be too fast then i will adjust it back...
    Last edited by JaM; March 07, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

Long Battles are good JaM I hate the vanilla arcade type game.The Battles I played over the weekend with version 2 were even better than Empire with Darthmod.
    Yeah perhaps the scary things best for just very few units like the Old guard I mean if those guys were coming toward you it was time for new pants but they were exceptional. If all grenadiers have them then what about regiments like the Black watch they were probably feared more than just standard grenadier regiments. My units seem to break a lot faster than previously.
    Not a criticism mate just some feedback to help out.

I'm glad for any feedback, as i'm testing it by myself ok, then lets try 0.3 without the scary ability for grenadiers....

regarding the longevity of battle, this mod has opposite approach than vanilla - in vanilla all units were very accurate, but morale penalties for casualties were quite low. in NEW (and also in ER for ETW) there is opposite approach - musket accuracy is halved (50% accurate range decreased from 70 to 40, dispersion increased from 1 to 5, unit accuracy decreased -20 across the board) but morale penalties for taking casualties are higher, so enemy breaks if loose too many men, but then is able to reform.. and here probably comes the scary ability - damaged enemy is easier to break, so if Grenadiers came close, they start panicking and run away.. if Grenadiers didnt had that ability, they would stand and fight, which results into longer battle...

for next version i will remove fire and advance and replace it with fire by rank. Fire and advance needs different spacing which results into unit spreading around... Fire by rank doesn't do that with the same fire results...
    Last edited by JaM; March 07, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

aus-rotten's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    it is in users\(your comp name)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts\preferences.script.txt

search for campaign_unit_multiplier, and change value to 2

thanks for your answer!
    the only pronlem is , that my light infantry has the same unitsize as my lineinfantry, do you know how to adjust them, thtat the have the same unitsize like skirmishers?

NO GODS -NO MASTERS
    just free minds

my brown power ass in your white power face.

It was intentional - Light Infantry has the same amount of men as it represents similar unit to Line Battalion. French used Line and Light regiments.. Light infantry is good with ranged attacks, but is not that good in melee.. This is actually true for French only. other countries didnt used Light infantry that progresivly as French did, so they still have reduced number of men per light infantry unit. (with multiplier 2 it makes 320 men per French Light infantry and 240 men for others..)

JaM Just fought a battle with NER 03 without the scary ability for grenadiers. It’s hard to say from just one battle but I did notice two French Grenadier regiments standing firing so it seems to be ok again. There is still that dam melee bug at times the BAI can’t use lights and skirmishers very well they wander about into your lines but that has nothing to do with NER.

Semisalis

Just thinking here, could one alter the number of crew aboard ships? It just doesn't work out when for example Nelson's flagship has 300 something crew and 122 cannons. Since you increased the hull strength it would also be cool to see how additional crew are killed from each broadside into the ship even though you aren't sinking it. I am guessing this has been discussed for Empire before somewhere but I haven't seen it.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Dartanianx View Post
    JaM Just fought a battle with NER 03 without the scary ability for grenadiers. It’s hard to say from just one battle but I did notice two French Grenadier regiments standing firing so it seems to be ok again. There is still that dam melee bug at times the BAI can’t use lights and skirmishers very well they wander about into your lines but that has nothing to do with NER.
    I see line do that in 80% of vanilla battles... I haven't really taken much of a look into the bugs yet of NER.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

High Jam and others. Can I confirm that adding the new ner03b (or any subsequent) version and deleting the ner02, that the saved game is still compatible?

for next version i will remove fire and advance and replace it with fire by rank
    Have you found a way to use a button to control Fire By Rank? If so that would be magic.

Moopere

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Just wanted to say that I have been playing version 2 all weekend, and this mod gets the two thumbs up for realism from me.I used the combat speed mod as well. What can I say- I cant play a CA game out of the box! Now there's a version 3!

Having Lord Zimoa around to rub shoulders with, and DaVinci as well, this place is turning into a modders heaven.

Keep it up JaM- still lots of things that can be done. I like the way you work with your readers here.

for next version i will remove fire and advance and replace it with fire by rank. Fire and advance needs different spacing which results into unit spreading around... Fire by rank doesn't do that with the same fire results...
    Is fire by rank overly mechanical in NPT like it was in Empire? Because I gotta say I love your mod's firing drills, especially when FaA is taken out, however I'm not as sure about FBR. But if adding somehow makes the AI better than I am all for it.

aus-rotten's Avatar Semisalis

It was intentional - Light Infantry has the same amount of men as it represents similar unit to Line Battalion. French used Line and Light regiments.. Light infantry is good with ranged attacks, but is not that good in melee.. This is actually true for French only. other countries didnt used Light infantry that progresivly as French did, so they still have reduced number of men per light infantry unit. (with multiplier 2 it makes 320 men per French Light infantry and 240 men for others..)
    Hi jam,

thanks for the answer. The problem is solved.

For whatever reason, when I changed the unitmultiplier the first time, all nations had the same men per unit in light infantry as in lineinfantry. After i started the game I second time, it was like you said: french with more men per unit in light, other nations with lesser men per unit.

questions:
    - I still have stakes in my game, don´t know if only for same specific units. Could this be, because I´m using other additional mods (lower speed, radious no FaA, no tracermod, soundmod)
    - can you please remove the camerashake? its hilarious that the camera shakes like crazy, just because a unit of lineinfantry is marching or fighting in melee.
    feels like "Earthquake: Total War"!
    - please remove the tracers
    - what you think about increasing the close range lethality of muskets a little bit (not much).

thanks for your work!
    Last edited by aus-rotten; March 08, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

NO GODS -NO MASTERS
    just free minds

my brown power ass in your white power face.

Quote Originally Posted by The Border Reiver View Post
    High Jam and others. Can I confirm that adding the new ner03b (or any subsequent) version and deleting the ner02, that the saved game is still compatible?
    I updated form NER2 to NER3 and the changes took effect. I could tell because the grenadiers I had now had the scary ability added. So it looks like it is very easy to update. So far.

Regarding the unit multiplier; I also ran into an issue where my Chassuers(sp?) had the same number of men as my line infanty. Is that correct or not?