Thread: [Feedback & Discussion] Napoleon Empire Realism

Default Re: [Feedback & Discussion] Napoleon Empire Realism

Both the 38 gun and the 32.

at what distance you were using it? chainshot has limited elevation to 10 degrees. i have checked projectile file, but dont see anything unusual. guns those frigates are using are used by other ships as well.

So if you were at way too short range, your guns could not elevate to hit the sails.. but thats intentional. AI doesnt use chainshot or grapeshot, therefore it sometimes is at disadvantage. to counterbalance it, i made chainshot and grapeshot a bit restricted in their use for player, so its not too overpowered. Yet its not artificial limit, but realistic - naval guns could only elevate at maximum 10degrees... their most common use was being set for 0 degrees firing at point blank range (point blank range is a distance at which gun with 0 elevation will still hit the target instead of hitting the water, so for most guns it was around 200-300m distance)

So, use chainshot at medium/long distances (elevation 10), roundshot at medium distance (elevation 0) and grapeshot at short range (elevation 0)
    Last edited by JaM; February 27, 2017 at 02:26 AM.

The range could be the reason. I'll have to keep in mind that in the future.

Thanks.

Is there a way to increase AI willingness to fight pitched battles?

I'm really enjoying the mod but most of battles I fight in campaigns are sieges. It's one of main gripes I have with Total War games; AI is unwilling/unable to build a full stack to send against players. Their forces are often too dispersed and they fail to show up even when I siege a city and wait. So far I've been attacking AI's cities one after another and AI doesn't seem to understand that they stand a better chance when they build larger stacks.

In the Italian campaign I finished, every single battle was me attacking settlement with 5~6 regiments defending and overrunning one after another until I won the campaign AI could have built at least 3 full stacks with the units I killed during sieges. It felt as though AI was braindead on campaign map... Basically it rolled over and died.

I'm playing on hard campaign AI.
    Last edited by highsis; March 04, 2017 at 04:09 AM.

Italian campaign is like that. AI is quite scripted there.. try Grand Campaign, it should be different. and yes, i did increase AI willingness to attack to bare minimum, cant reduce it further without making it completely suicidal. (attacking with one unit vs full stack)

Hey JaM,

I've been playing the latest version of the mod and I noticed three things. First, I have encountered a bug of some sort where the end of my turn gets stuck on the Ottoman faction. I noticed as I progressed through my campaign (I'd say beginning around turn 90 and onward) the Ottomans took increasingly longer to finish their turn. By turn 120, the game gets stuck on their turn and thus renders my campaign unplayable.

I also noted the enemy performing oddly in battle. The enemy forms in line perfectly but they will never advance towards me unless I initiate battle (walking my troops forward and commencing battle). This passive behavior extends to the campaign map. The enemy rarely attacks my troops. Playing as the British I invaded Spain with just a single stack and the enemy went out of its way to avoid me despite them having two to three full stacks of troops. I even attempted to bait them to engage me by placing my stack towards several of their full ones (all of them were close together) yet the Spanish just dispersed instead. In previous versions, this rarely happened.

The French even invaded England but would not advance towards the capital. They simply disembarked and occupied by ports for a couple of turns before I mustered my forces and defeated them. I have never encountered such behavior with your mod before. In previous versions I feared the French because of their aggressive actions on the battle and yet relished testing my forces against theirs. It doesn't seem like that is possible now. Perhaps it is because I playing on VH/H? I usually play on VH/VH.

SIDE NOTE - Maybe the Ottoman bug has to deal with startpos errors? I just noticed you had to re-upload verison 4.0!
    Last edited by Marcus Vitruvius; April 02, 2017 at 08:00 PM.

Artifex

@JaM: Did you update this mod in 2016? If yes, I'd like to nominate you for the 2016 modding awards.
    @All: Please support Napoleon and Empire Realism!
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Yes there were some updates in 2016

Surely, this mod have the most realistic battle ai so far, line battle with reserves, cav always placed at flanks, no unhistorical fbr and more. Thank you so much JaM, but in my opinion this mod will be much better if you integrate more sub-mods (such as more unit mod, sounds mod) in your next update. Cheers

JaM, I've been thinking here, instead of each unit being one regiment, why not making each unit a company of around 100 soldiers, letting the player form their own battalions (maybe adding new "battalion" group formations, im not sure its doable though).
    If so, just set the army size to like lets say 60 units, you already can form at least 2 battalions there.
    Plus that would solve the problem of grenadiers and voltigeurs being separated units.. wouldn't it?
    Last edited by 007Jua007; June 16, 2017 at 02:18 PM.

because it would be quite weird for Napoleon to command just 2 battalions...

lmao good point

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    because it would be quite weird for Napoleon to command just 2 battalions...
    True, although the current limited army size prevents representative battle sizes anyway. One would need to go to Source of War for something closer to reality.

Having said that as far as battalion sizes are concerned TW is closer with 120-160 figures per unit. I think the only way one could get closer is by abandoning the one man per model concept and redrawing each model to represent a group of five or six men (a manoeuvring unit). This would not only make the battalions look realistic but would give a closer approximation to the look and feel of a unit when it changed formation instead of all these individuals running around.

^ I was wondering something similar to this also.. whether it is possible to edit the textures and models of part of a unit (like the left and right flanks having different models from the center), or the slightly different texture variations are just randomly distributed through the units.. So instead of adding men, just somehow reorganizing and slightly remodeling the ones already present, which is probably easier since there is no need for new animations

When I applied the mod I had to overwrite some files. I didn't read this in any of your posts. Might be nothing but I'm suspicious it may have something to do with things being out of place on my end. I don't get 200 infantry and 80 cavalry in my units although infantry units all have a range of 60. Another thing I find interesting is that fatigue is mostly related to morale. They can go from fresh to exhausted by being in combat. Not entirely unrealistic, though as I have experienced something similar. My heart started beating fast and was breathing heavily due to excitement the first time I played paintball.

fatigue is renamed in NER mod, it represents cohesion, therefore unit can lose it quickly in right circumstances. and regarding overwritten files, those are mostly campaign files that had to be overwritten to take effect.

Just curious. I know you said the mod was compatible with all the DLC's but did you take the Elite Regiment and Imperial Guard pack which came with the physical copy of the game into account? These two are not found in the Steam store.

yes, they are in.

I'm currently working on a new version, that will bring some important changes to combat design.

First, i wanted to address the fact, that previously, there was no point in getting closer to enemy, and best thing player could do was to start firing first. This is no longer the case. Musket accuracy was reworked drastically, for the first time i'm actually using negative values, so muskets even remove accuracy bonus given by unit training.. Of course, with very experienced units it still plays some role, but its no longer that overwhelming. All salvo muskets have -20 to their previous accuracy, therefore typical Line infantry unit starting the game with 20-25 accuracy due to training, has effective accuracy 0 to 5 points.. Maximum exp bonus unit can get is 25 points, therefore even at exp 9, Line infantry would get just 20-25 accuracy (which is still quite a big improvement, considering mod-scale 1:4, which means 50% hit accuracy for such unit is 80-100m)

To compensate for decreased accuracy, dispersion values were decreased, and are now fully in mod-scale (1:4). Where most muskets had previously dispersion around 8-10, in new version they will be 4-5. This flattens the fly-path of bullets a bit, which means musket fire at shorter range is a lot more accurate, while at max range, accuracy is gone, and dispersion is still big enough to have most bullets just overshoot.. Skirmisher weapons have similar dispersion values (typically 1 point lower), but keep some weapon accuracy, therefore their fire is more likely to score hits at long range (but its still decreased from previous versions).

Cohesion morale penalties are increased a bit to -6/-8/-12. Instead, casualty rate morale penalties were slightly reduced. This means having unit completely disordered means its very easy to break.. keeping your line firing for the whole battle will make their position easier to overwhelm by steady units. Cohesion penalties to accuracy are still in place, where only units with good order fire at full potential. Disordered units get -100% to their accuracy therefore are practically wasting ammo.

Movement speed of units was adjusted as well. Walking now improves cohesion (i know it is not entirely realistic, but its the only way how to make moving in slower "orderly" fashion important), therefore you can get to enemy in good order and deliver devastating salvo from short distance. Charging speed is increased, so tactics where you deliver single salvo and follow with bayonet will be quite effective now.

I think the best tactics in attack is to have your forces divided into firing group and assault group. Firing group will engage enemy at long range to disorder him, while assault group approaches, delivers short range salvo and charge with bayonets. Light infantry/Skirmishers are perfect for firing duty as they present small profile therefore don't take that many casualties.. Grenadiers are best in assault duties for obvious reasons.

In defense, best thing you can do is to use two lines, and move reserves forward every time your front unit routes. Deploying in checkerboard formation is useful, as it allows you to open fire while not hitting own routed men trying to run back.. But overall, single thin line is very easy to break now so keep reserves.

Additional changes are done to cavalry. to better portray them on battlefield, i decided to change their scale a bit. Historically, smallest tactical unit on battlefield were Battalion and Squadron. Infantry units in this game are 200 men strong, with scale 4:1 it gives 800 men battalion (Regiments were typically 1500-2000 men strong of 2-3 battalions) Cavalry Squadrons were a lot smaller, with 250 men per squadron, while regiment could have multiple squadrons (4-6) anyway, most regiments were never at full strength, and cavalry typically suffered the most on campaigns with their numbers falling down to 50% after few months. Because of this, i decided to reduce number of men per unit to 60 (from 80) and place them into 2 rank formation squadrons used. This made cavalry formation a lot wider, but because of 60 men, it can still maneuver well on battlefield as its not too long. Plus, against artillery, 2-rank formation is a lot more resistant than previous 4 rank formation, as each hit might kill just 2 cavalrymen,instead of 4. (so cavalry is now 50% more resilient to artillery fire)
    Ottoman cavalry will be still deployed in obsolete 3-rank formation, which will give western cavalry option to outflank them on both flanks in direct attack.

Second change is with artillery which got its range reduced to 300. In previous versions with range 400, it was just way too easy to snipe enemy shortly after deployment on some maps, while with range 300, both AI and player actually has to move artillery in range. This makes deployment less problematic, as you now always start out of range of enemy artillery, so you dont have to worry about your cavalry or general. At the same time, canister range was slightly reduced to 100, but canister damage was increased by 10% so it will deal a bit more damage now. As before, modern artillery uses heavy canister with longer range (100) and larger bullets (damage 0.75), while obsolete artillery (Ottoman artillery) uses light short range canister (range 75) with damage same as muskets are dealing (0.6)
    Artillery projectiles also got some accuracy bonuses linked with projectile, so solid shot is now more accurate than shell or canister (125 vs 100 vs 75). Instead, i dont use any accuracy bonuses via kv_rules (value 0, previously 100), as these were global bonuses applied to all projectiles, which made some projectiles way too accurate while others not (so practically shell, solid shot and canister shared same accuracy value).