Thread: Lagg (have a good pc)

Default Lagg (have a good pc)

hi,

I bought me napoleon total war, but i can only play without lagg when i set most things on medium and disbale everything extra. i do see i lagg in other games to,

my system is
    Intel(R) Pentium (R) D CPU 3.40 Ghz
    RAM = 4GB
    64 bits vista
    GPU = Geforce EN9500GT 1GB

normally my pc should easely run napoleon i gues

so what could i do?

ps.. i even got low fps on Medieval 2
    ps2 i also used new coolpast on my cpu still no fix

tx

Default Re: Lagg (have a good pc)

Mmmm strange. The one thing I would say is you need to upgrade your CPU to a dual core at the very least. RAM and video card looks good.

You can also try the following things:

- try turning v-sync off and on. I sometimes find when I start a battle with v-sync on it causes a bit of lag. turning it off and on again solves the problem
    - turn the 'picture in picture' feature off permanently. Go into the script file and disable this feature. Give me a shout if you don't know how
    - revert to older video card drivers. There is a known problem wiuth cannon causing lag with newer drivers
    - check your sound card drivers in your devices menu. Make sure there is only ONE driver installed
    - tune the shadows down to a lower grade. Shadows are notoriously FPS hungry

Good luck my friend!

hi,

tx for the answer, can u just say how i do the picture in picture thing
    ty

i checked my audio and i disable my realteck driver because i have some creative audio,
    and ill look now for some older drivers for my gpu because i just updated em.
    and btw my cpu is a dual core

tx

No prob..go into the scripts folder... document and settings/username/creativeassembly/NTW/scripts and alter the line gfx_picture_in_picture true to gfx_picture_in_picture false. For some reason it sometimes reverts back to the true setting so you might need to check it before you start a game.

The older drivers should also help

Praepositus
    Citizen

That graphics card, the GEFORCE9500G, is not the best one around, and has several more powerful 'brothers'. I would recommend updating the card to the 9800GT (or just the G). For the best performance ring your nearest computer shop, tell them your specs and ask what Graphics card would best suit your machine.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

The problem really is you gpu, desktop thread is there to help you

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MM View Post
    The problem really is you gpu, desktop thread is there to help you
    k now i know what the problem is,

if just got a new monitor with 1920*1080 resolution and i see in ur guide i can only run on low settings with that screen

tx now i know what the problem is

Quote Originally Posted by stinkiepoep View Post
    hi,

tx for the answer, can u just say how i do the picture in picture thing
    ty

i checked my audio and i disable my realteck driver because i have some creative audio,
    and ill look now for some older drivers for my gpu because i just updated em.
    and btw my cpu is a dual core

tx
    Acually try to go back in and disable the creative audio instead, if that doesn't work re-enable the creative audio, and disable the realtek, then go into Napoleon and check if the sound is set to creative instead of "default"
    http://www.gamersgate.com?caff=1905421
    Support GamersGate! The cheaper solution to online gaming. Note, when clicking the link above you'll be giving me a "blue coin" score (Discounts). If you have no interest in such, use the following link: http://www.gamersgate.com

TestudoAubreii's Avatar Bugger Bamfield!

Greetings,

You know, I thought I had a good PC, too, but I am getting a bad case of the lag. I tried disabling my ATI soundcard, but then I wind up with no sound (I have an ATI, gpu i presume, and a RealTek sound card drive). I don't know what to do. I have an i7 920 @ 3.33, 3GB RAM, ATI HD4870 1GB DDR5. I thought it would run NTW, but I am even getting lag on my campaign map. I did notice that my CPU seems to only be using one core. Is that normal? It's very frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

morrisonicus

Quote Originally Posted by morrisonicus View Post
    Greetings,

You know, I thought I had a good PC, too, but I am getting a bad case of the lag. I tried disabling my ATI soundcard, but then I wind up with no sound (I have an ATI, gpu i presume, and a RealTek sound card drive). I don't know what to do. I have an i7 920 @ 3.33, 3GB RAM, ATI HD4870 1GB DDR5. I thought it would run NTW, but I am even getting lag on my campaign map. I did notice that my CPU seems to only be using one core. Is that normal? It's very frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

morrisonicus
    You suffer the same crule fate is i, the Radeon HD4870, although i have the X2 version.
    Last edited by irishron; March 03, 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Illegal activity.
    Support GamersGate! The cheaper solution to online gaming. Note, when clicking the link above you'll be giving me a "blue coin" score (Discounts). If you have no interest in such, use the following link: http://www.gamersgate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cainrae View Post
    You suffer the same crule fate is i, the Radeon HD4870, although i have the X2 version.

A tip i can recommend is to download a crack and rename it "empire" or if you are not running on a steam version of the game, rename your napoleon.exe to empire.exe, it improves the overall frames per second for some akward reason, also if you haven't tried yet, try reverting back to the 9.6 drivers, a lot of ATI users report having a more stabil gameplay with these drivers
    Indeed, I will try. I wonder why. They are supposed to be pretty good cards, right? I installed the physical DVD's. Is that what you mean? So, just rename my napolean.exe to empire.exe? I probably should disconnect from Steam before I do this. May be a silly question, but how would I go about reverting back to the 9.6 drivers?

I hope that this can some how be resolved and I don't have to purchase a new GPU. Do you know anything about the multicore optimization? I heard something about a line in the preference file that has to do with multicores.

I know I have many questions, but I really appreciate the help.

morrisonicus

Indeed, I will try. I wonder why. They are supposed to be pretty good cards, right? I installed the physical DVD's. Is that what you mean? So, just rename my napolean.exe to empire.exe? I probably should disconnect from Steam before I do this. May be a silly question, but how would I go about reverting back to the 9.6 drivers?

I hope that this can some how be resolved and I don't have to purchase a new GPU. Do you know anything about the multicore optimization? I heard something about a line in the preference file that has to do with multicores.

I know I have many questions, but I really appreciate the help.

morrisonicus
    Acually the process of renaming napoleon.exe to empire.exe is the thing that fixes the multi-core issue, apprently Empire works fine with multi-core and napoleon doesn't yet, a simple renaming makes the engine think that it runs on empire's processor configuration

If you want to revert back you need to uninstall your current drivers, like you can do with most programs through windows removal and then just download the 9.6 drivers for your windows version

About the graphic card question, i have asked myself that very same question ever since i brought myself this card

Quote Originally Posted by Cainrae View Post
    Acually the process of renaming napoleon.exe to empire.exe is the thing that fixes the multi-core issue, apprently Empire works fine with multi-core and napoleon doesn't yet, a simple renaming makes the engine think that it runs on empire's processor configuration

If you want to revert back you need to uninstall your current drivers, like you can do with most programs through windows removal and then just download the 9.6 drivers for your windows version

About the graphic card question, i have asked myself that very same question ever since i brought myself this card
    Cool, I will give it a shot. I really appreciate your help and hopefully we can work through this because I would like to experience this game in pretty high quality! Did you have this problem with Empire? Anyhow, thanks again.

morrisonicus

Cool, I will give it a shot. I really appreciate your help and hopefully we can work through this because I would like to experience this game in pretty high quality! Did you have this problem with Empire? Anyhow, thanks again.

morrisonicus
    Hope it works out for you mate! I acually had worse issues with ETW, shuttering once i turned on HDR and high quality settings and quite a bunch of lag, it's better in Napoleon but still not the way i want it to run

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by stinkiepoep View Post
    hi,

I bought me napoleon total war, but i can only play without lagg when i set most things on medium and disbale everything extra. i do see i lagg in other games to,

my system is
    Intel(R) Pentium (R) D CPU 3.40 Ghz
    RAM = 4GB
    64 bits vista
    GPU = Geforce EN9500GT 1GB

normally my pc should easely run napoleon i gues

so what could i do?

ps.. i even got low fps on Medieval 2
    ps2 i also used new coolpast on my cpu still no fix

tx

Pentium D is OLD , Hot (90nm) and slow (even when it first came out compared to amds X2s in 2005)

9500 gt is underpowered for a game like this.

If you were getting low fps on MTW2 then by god thats sure sign your comp needs some upgrades.

From -

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3401&p=4

"And one more time: 3850 for not that much more cash blows away the 9500 GT in price performance. Performance of the 8600 GT just trails the 9500 GT. The only twist here is that the 3650 catches up to the 9500 GT at the highest res we tested for a just-less-than-playable frame rate."

If its slow compared to the 3850.. need i say more?
    Last edited by Spaxspore; March 04, 2010 at 10:24 AM.