Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to Warhammer and I have questions.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default New to Warhammer and I have questions.

This weekend I bought a THQ package of 9 games for 30 euro's, including Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

Its a game I wouldnt normally buy since I dont think orcs and other medieval fantasy creatures belong in a futuristic setting, but the game turned out to be quite enjoyable. I like the variety of factions, the many upgrades to squads and the stunning combat animations including brutal finishers.

The cartoony look seems to suit the game quite well, but there are some things I just dont really understand, it might be because the game did not come with a manual.

Why do the Space Marines and the Imperial Guard fight each other for example? are they not part of the same faction?

Why is the skull symbol used so exessively? Its overused if you ask me, about half the units seems to have a skull symbol on them.

What happens if you finish a campaign? does it unlock something?

Are there any good mods out there?

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: New to Warhammer and I have questions.

Generally,but with exeptions,Spacemarines and Imperial Guard fight together for Empire .
    In Dark Crusade though they are different factions for campaign purposes.
    Finishing the campaign would only gives the victory in campaign.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    This weekend I bought a THQ package of 9 games for 30 euro's, including Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

Its a game I wouldnt normally buy since I dont think orcs and other medieval fantasy creatures belong in a futuristic setting, but the game turned out to be quite enjoyable. I like the variety of factions, the many upgrades to squads and the stunning combat animations including brutal finishers.

The cartoony look seems to suit the game quite well, but there are some things I just dont really understand, it might be because the game did not come with a manual.

Why do the Space Marines and the Imperial Guard fight each other for example? are they not part of the same faction?

Why is the skull symbol used so exessively? Its overused if you ask me, about half the units seems to have a skull symbol on them.

What happens if you finish a campaign? does it unlock something?

Are there any good mods out there?
    well have you played Orks they are way far from what the orcs of LOTTR would be if they had guns, you know. what dont you understand? SM and IG rarely fight togahter as in a coordinated plan, and the DK SMs had conflicting objectives with the IG. the skull is a prominant theme in Gothic fantasy, so it is here. any more questions, I think I know everything you need to. the FOK mod is great.
    Last edited by knight of virtue and valor; March 02, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knight of virtue and valor View Post
    well have you played Orks they are way far from what the orcs of LOTTR would be if they had guns, you know. what dont you understand? SM and IG rarely fight togahter as in a coordinated plan, and the DK SMs had conflicting objectives with the IG. the skull is a prominant theme in Gothic fantasy, so it is here. any more questions, I think I know everything you need to. the FOK mod is great.
    The Warhammer Orks are actually ambulatory fungus

What is the FOK mod btw? Which Dawn of War is that for ie Dark Crusade only or Soulstorm too?

Is there any good site for mods and info?

As for the orcs, I cant say I like them in the game. They arent as bad as the necros though with their downright ugly building style and bland roster. They cant do anything with squads either like adding captains, special characters and special weapons.

The other five factions are alright though, they usually only have one or two units which appearance I dislike.

The FOK mod stands for Firestorm over kronus, and it is for dark crusade but they are making a new version for soulstorm. it is as close as possible to lore. The Orks do so have Captains, the Nobz! they have the mad dok, the big mech, and the warboss. their are weapons that you can add to. the Orks are the funnest faction for me, have you ever looked at their lore?
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    The Warhammer Orks are actually ambulatory fungus

What is the FOK mod btw? Which Dawn of War is that for ie Dark Crusade only or Soulstorm too?
    FoK is a really good mod for 40k. closer to codex and all that, adds new..everything! redone almost completely.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knight of virtue and valor View Post
    The FOK mod stands for Firestorm over kronus, and it is for dark crusade but they are making a new version for soulstorm. it is as close as possible to lore. The Orks do so have Captains, the Nobz! they have the mad dok, the big mech, and the warboss. their are weapons that you can add to. the Orks are the funnest faction for me, have you ever looked at their lore?
    Haha I loved the Mad Dok.

"'Ere ta fix yawr gubbins!"

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Is there any good site for mods and info?

As for the orcs, I cant say I like them in the game. They arent as bad as the necros though with their downright ugly building style and bland roster. They cant do anything with squads either like adding captains, special characters and special weapons.

The other five factions are alright though, they usually only have one or two units which appearance I dislike.

Ugly buildings?
    Necrons are robots built for the soul purpose of consuming life, they build things for their practicality, nt aestetics.
    It wouldn't make sense for Necrons to have captains either, because they don't.

The skull motiff is used alot because it is the symbol of the Imperium, you see flags on modern army uniforms don't you?
    Well its the same thing here.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

It just makes the Necron a bland and boring faction. They are fine for fighting against, they serve their purpose as the enemy but I doubt I will ever play them again after that single skirmish I did to check out their roster.

The orcs arent a bland faction thats true, I would have prefered less of a stereotype though. I would expect more intelligence from more advanced orcs than their medievalish ancestors. They could still be agressive though, but they could be more like Mass Effect's Krogan, Star Trek's Klingons or Star Wars Trandoshans.

Furthermore I am quite enjoying the game, the Imperial Guard are my prefered faction. I like all their units. The greatest thing about the game is definatly the great combat animations. I was pleasantly surprised when I first saw one of my soldiers getting picked up and crushed to death.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

that was how I found out about Warhammer...

my bro has brought the game, I thought 'Orcs in space...This is madness!' but finished studying Warhammer fluff

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

The Ork (not to be confused with the puny orcs ) society is based purely on fighting, its their purpose in life and what they do best. No great purpose or some grand scheme, they fight because they love it. Among all these "too serious" factions these space hooligans is a nice breeze. Not to mention hilarious

Orkz and tech is a interesting issue. Their engineers seem to be able to adjust their tech level to whatever they are facing and many of their devices are working simply because an ork believes it does.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir D'Andunie View Post
    The Ork (not to be confused with the puny orcs ) society is based purely on fighting, its their purpose in life and what they do best. No great purpose or some grand scheme, they fight because they love it. Among all these "too serious" factions these space hooligans is a nice breeze. Not to mention hilarious

Orkz and tech is a interesting issue. Their engineers seem to be able to adjust their tech level to whatever they are facing and many of their devices are working simply because an ork believes it does.
    its an genetic thing about their tech. they were made as the white blood cells of the galaxy by the old ones long ago. they were made to be able to fight ANYTHING to a stand still, but not have the unity to take destroy the other races. in any given area, the more fighting their is, the more orks will come, and the less fighting their is, the less orks their shall be. even medieval worlds with Orks have the inborn knoweledge to advance EXTREMLEY qouck if a threat taht out techs them enouph arises, but those same orks will never go techy unless the other races of that world do or anotehr race comes.

Welcome to Warhammer and my condolences for selling your soul to this awesome universe

Orks were a bit strange for SF setting when I first found out about this "universe" in the 90s when I first saw the board game but somehow they just fit in perfectly.

I see them as white blood cells (or green actually) that protect the galaxy from everybody and themselves included. Angry, psychotic, violent and a bit crazy blood cells.

also they are kind of comic relief in the otherwise dark galaxy.

It is a huge empire and it has many, many factions. Most of the time they cooperate but sometimes personal interest or misunderstanding can make them fight from time to time.

Of course the particular marine chapter has some secrets...........dark secrets and they were determined to hide them, especialy from other Imperials.

Ads to the grim/dark feeling and has some kind of religious meaning to the Imperium.

Oh, by the way, if you are easily addicted to cool SF stuff do not click the following links

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/home.jsp
    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Seriously do not click. It is very addictive and there is no way out.
    Ugly as the north end of a pig going south

гурманска пљескавица пуњена ролованом пилетином и умотана у сланину, па све то у кајмаку

The orcs arent a bland faction thats true, I would have prefered less of a stereotype though. I would expect more intelligence from more advanced orcs than their medievalish ancestors. They could still be agressive though, but they could be more like Mass Effect's Krogan, Star Trek's Klingons or Star Wars Trandoshans.
    Orks are very intelligent, and one of the more cunning foes of the Imperium.

Ghazgull Ul'Thraka is basically the Alexander the Great of Orkiness.

Would suggest you read up a little bit on the warhammer 40k background. There are plenty of resources online, like Lexicanum.

Calling grown men boys, using bad grammer and a mishmash of machinery that looks like its going to explode in their face does not give me the impression they are very intelligent. They appear to be the cartoony stereotype orc but in a futuristic setting. I gues their sole purpose is pretty much for comic relief, but personly I dont find it funny at all.

Calling grown men boys, using bad grammer and a mishmash of machinery that looks like its going to explode in their face does not give me the impression they are very intelligent. They appear to be the cartoony stereotype orc but in a futuristic setting. I gues their sole purpose is pretty much for comic relief, but personly I dont find it funny at all.
    thats allright, we allready exlained what they are there for (blood cells. nutty murdering blood cell, but blood cells. you either get it, or you dont.

Warhammer 40k is one of those universes that grow on you. The more you read into it, the more materials you come across, the more everything "fits" together and start growing on you. Otherwise, everything seems completely over the top and ridiculous - which, incidentally, is the point.

Orks are extremely smart and cunning - and all of them are psychic. They fight, and the stronger their opponents, the more cunning, brutal, and strong they are. Orks are the white blood cells of the universe. They're there to prevent any one particular force from dominating the others and taking over the galaxy. They're omnipresent, and collectively, they are one of the most technologically advanced and cunning forces in the Warhammer 40k galaxy.

Really, your enjoyment of Warhammer 40k comes from whether or not you can put reality and common sense aside, read about a 10 foot tall space-knight hacking apart a green space-chav with a chain saw, and go, it, this is awesome. Warhammer 40k is the sort of setting that really awakens the inner boy in you, and just really does things not because it makes sense, but because it's FRIGGIN AWESOME. It's a very stylish setting, and is more fictional than science-fiction, and while I absolutely love settings like Foundation, Dune, and even Culture, I can also put down reality for a moment and derive a very basic and animalistic pleasure out of Warhammer 40k.

If you can't do that, then there's really no way you're going to get any sense of enjoyment out of Warhammer 40k. But if you can, you'll soon learn to appreciate just exactly WHY the WH40k universe has managed to survive 4 decades of pop culture.
    Last edited by Mithie; March 04, 2010 at 01:54 PM.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Orks are stupidly smart, for lack of a better term.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Orks are stupidly smart, for lack of a better term.
    Why you speak like an Eldar.

Orks are interesting, but that is all - definately more interesting than Orcs in Warhammer, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast