Thread: Napoleon Total War, Is it really worth it? Mr. L.E.E.'s Review!

Icon1 Napoleon Total War, Is it really worth it? Mr. L.E.E.'s Review!

Good evening there ladies and gentlemen, I hope all is going splendid for you. I was simply amazed at the outcome of Napoleon compared to Empire, and I have decided to share it with you!

I received the game a few days ago and have been hooked to it ever since. The gameplay is amazing, the campaign is challenging, what more can you ask for? I will discuss what I think are some important aspects of the game. At the end I would appreciate it if you let me know if this review was helpful to you. I will also answer any questions you have to the best of my ability!

1. Interface

The Interface In Napoleon is similar to Empire, but also a bit unique in its own way. The menu/option areas all follow a similar pattern to Empire. The battle interface has also changed, allowing more space to the commander to view his troops, and an improved battle map. The majority of this lies in the little details, but they are most noticeable. For Napoleon's interface, I would rate it a 10/10.

2. Game Graphics and Units

When I first heard about Napoleon, I thought it would just be a "modification" to empire, same graphics and most of the same units. I am happy to say that for the most part I was wrong. The graphics on Napoleon are quite stunning! The campaign map is just absolutely beautiful, along with all the new units. The great part is that you do not even have to have your graphic settings on max to enjoy the wonderful picture, It looks outstanding on almost all the settings. The particle effects for the cannons took me by surprise. One can clearly distinguish between Empire and Napoleon on the graphic level. The units in Napoleon are great as well. There is a wider variety of units per faction than there was in Empire. You do not feel as if you are playing as a clone, but as your unique nation! Overall, I would rate this aspect of the game an 8/10.

3. Campaign

The campaign in Napoloen is probably the most anticipated part of the game. I am sure everyone was looking forward to conquering Europe as Napoleon, or as some of us others, stopping his advance as the Coalition!The campaign was a major come back since Empire. The enemy actually attacks you, would you believe it? There are many armies, not just one, or hordes around the capital. I have tried the Coalition and the Napoleon's Europe campaign and I must say I was impressed. There is something new and exciting that happens almost every turn, whether it is a country being liberated or an ally losing its capital. The game is full of wonderful surprises. The nations in Empire were all napping compared to the nations in Napoleon.

There are also many new and useful features in Napoleon, such as economic sanctions, asking or giving assistance in a war, and much more. One new feature that I have particularly been drawn to is the Liberation of a conquered country. In Empire once a nation was destroyed by another, there was little chance of that nation reviving except in the event of a revolt due to high taxes. It left the game with a sense of emptiness as other nations grew into monopolistic empires. This is all different in Napoleon. I believe I have liberated over 5 different countries in Napoleon so far, many of them brand new!

Overall the campaign in Napoleon is something you do not want to miss. I have not yet tried out the Italian or Egyptian campaigns yet, but I dont expect I shall be let down! I would definitely give the campaign a try if I were you. The only downer in my opinion is that you only have a select few factions available to play as. Do not let thoughts that it is just like Empire cloud your mind! I give the campaign in Napoleon a 7.5/10.

Multiplayer and BAI

The BAI is one of the reasons I purchased Napoleon. I was very disappointed in Empire's BAI, and I wanted to see if there was an improvement in Napoleon. Ladies and Gentlemen I am proud to tell you that there is. Compared to Empire, Napoleon's BAI is genius! The armies actually march toward you in line and do not go running out of formation. The BAI also has a few tricks up its sleave, but I will leave that for you to find out on your own! If you were not happy with Empire's BAI, I recommend you buy Napoleon. You will simply be amazed!

If you prefer to stay away from the AI, you can always play multiplayer. Multiplayer in Napoleon is a very good way to have a unigue Total War experience. Are you tired of playing a computer in the campaign? Then why not play a human being! A firend perhaps? Napoleon allows you to do this with the wonderful Multiplayer Campaign. I have tried it out several times, all very enjoyable. Multiplayer land/naval battles are also a very enjoyable experience. It gives you a new challenge as you use your tactics to try to defeat a real person who can actually use their brain! I was very happy with the Multiplayer and BAI in Napoleon, I would rate BAI 8/10 and MP 10/10.

Music

Now this area will be a bit short, but I wanted to include it as I think music plays an important part in a game. Most of the music in Napoleon is new, and there are also some tracks from Empire. My favorite of them all I must say is the menu music. Napoleon's music really gets you in the mood for total war and conquest. It is a great improvement from Empire, which I must say had some awful sounds in there. I rate the music in Napoleon a 9/10.

Summary

Overall I was very happy with the outcome of Napoleon. Before I purchased it I debated on whether or not I would be "fooled" again as I was with Empire. I personally felt let down by CA with Empire. I viewed the game as a major setback. Napoleon proves that CA both recognized their mistakes and did their best to fix them. Before I bought the game, I voted yes in a poll asking if I will still play Empire. After I have played it, I will most likely never return to it. Napoleon is that good. If you are someone who also felt let down by the outcome of Empire, and are not sure if you should get the game, I recommend you get it. It is not bad like you may think. I am most glad that I made the decision to purchase it.

What I liked about it was that the game was reasonably priced at $39.99, a big drop since my $70 Special Forces Empire! I close with this, give Napoleon a try. If you have a friend who has the game, go over and try it for yourself. You will be amazed. If there are any questions you have please post them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Please let me know if this review was helpful or if there was an area you would have liked me to cover. Thank you ladies and gentlement for taking the time to read through this, good night!

Overall rating: 8.5/10

- Mr. L.E.E.

Default Re: Napoleon Total War, Is it really worth it? Mr. L.E.E.'s Review!

nice review there but there is 1 thing i would love to hear about as ive been reading a few posts on it is the speed of the game when in battle as i keep reading that its really arcadey and well i dont want that i want realism in a way

FreeRadical's Avatar Tiro

Great review Mr.L.E.E.,very thorough and informative. Nice touch of red and blue representing the the French and British I imagine. The color combination is also pleasing to the eye,and helps to make the review an even more fun,enjoyable, read. This review makes me eager to buy a new computer so I can play Napoleon, especially since the Bai is so good compared to Empire.

I see,however, that the consensus on the campaign in a number of reviews is that the campaign in Napoleon is far shorter compared to Empire.A number of people said it feels like a small expansion.In fact,some said after playing Napoleon say they had a far greater appreciation of Empire because of its longevity and scope.Well with Empire getting patched again,and Napoleon being very good,it looks like the Total War franchise is focusing on their customers again and striving for quality.

Again great job on the review,it was informative,enjoyable.You obviously put some time in it also so+rep

Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian Wolf
    I said, and pay attention here, that disciplined infantry throughout history has almost always defeated cavalry.
    One of the many great quotes by quite possibly one of the greatest amateur historians of all time.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...93#post6942493

Thank you for reading chaps. Mr. Ghastous, the most unrealistic part is the no blood! I expect a modification to come out with that shortly. As for the game speed, it seems pretty normal to my eyes.

Mr. FreeRadical! You are correct, the campaign is not as long as Empire. I must admit that I do miss all the other nations in the world. Perhaps Napoleon will have an expansion of the map by the modding community? Thank you for the rep sir!