Thread: Austrian Line Infantry Headwear Questions

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Austrian Line Infantry Headwear Questions

I have two questions about the hats Austrian soldiers wear;
    1. What's the type of "double-visor" shako Austrians wear in-game and what was its purpose, to keep the sun off?
    2. I've seen Napoleonic-era soldiers who I think are Austrian wearing a plumed helmet that resembles the Bavarian helmet in the game. Did they wear such helmets?

Default Re: Austrian Line Infantry Headwear Questions

Double visor? Do you mean the kasket (worn by the fusiliers in the Italian campaign)? Or the corsehut (worn by the Jagers)?

Yes Austrian infantry wore "Roman helmets" from 1798 to 1806

http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Au...strianinfantry

Yes Austrian infantry wore a helmet until about 1809 then they gradually changed to a shako.I saw a list once showing when each regiment changed but most by 1809 I think.
    Last edited by Jihada; March 01, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emperorpenguin View Post
    Double visor? Do you mean the kasket (worn by the fusiliers in the Italian campaign)? Or the corsehut (worn by the Jagers)?

Yes Austrian infantry wore "Roman helmets" from 1798 to 1806
    The shakos in the European campaign, they appear to have a visor in the back and the front.
    I wonder why CA didn't give the Austrians helmets, they look better than the shakos they wear now.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    The shakos in the European campaign, they appear to have a visor in the back and the front.
    I wonder why CA didn't give the Austrians helmets, they look better than the shakos they wear now.
    Jack felt that the Shako was more iconic,to which I must disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier IX View Post
    Jack felt that the Shako was more iconic,to which I must disagree
    They picked mostly all late-era uniforms, which look horrid in 1805.

They picked mostly all late-era uniforms, which look horrid in 1805.
    It was a good choice in some cases. The Russians, for instance, look much better, to me, wearing kivers than the stovepipes everybody else has.
    But yeah, it'd be nice to see some variety. Perhaps a modder will come out with an early-era mod that lets players use old uniforms and transition to the new ones in the course of the game.

I like the Russians in kiwers and British in Belgics, but the Austrians looked better in helmets.

The shakos in the European campaign, they appear to have a visor in the back and the front..
    I just saw them in-game and checked my uniforms book. CA did its homework, Austrian shakos did indeed have a neck peak, not sure why though

It doesn't matter whay looks better but what is historically correct. It is so easy to research on the interweb what the tiniest state was wearing in which year. As this game officially ends in 1812 the earlier type of uniform should have been the norm and later types included in a military high level building with better stats perhaps.I'm sure Swedes look better with shakos than top hats but it's not correct.And playing GB I want stovepipe shakos for the whole game
    Rant over
    Last edited by Jihada; March 02, 2010 at 10:39 PM.

Kiwers and belgics look good, but the "cylinders" are really annoying early on.

Kiwers and belgics look good, but the "cylinders" are really annoying early on.
    But by cylinders I suppose you mean the stovepipe shako. This was worn by British right up to 1814 and even by some units at Waterloo, The Belgic shako was only really worn in the Waterloo campaign or a few units in late Peninsular.Sorry, as a long time wargamer, I like things to look right . There are a lot of other examples but hopefully Sir Chicken or someone will mod them sometime,like the militia in ETW.
    Last edited by Jihada; March 02, 2010 at 10:46 PM.

I just saw them in-game and checked my uniforms book. CA did its homework, Austrian shakos did indeed have a neck peak, not sure why though
    Because a shako without a neck peak or foldable neck-curtain works like a small water basin/pipe, directing rain down your neck in bad weather, from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by VonEwald View Post
    Because a shako without a neck peak or foldable neck-curtain works like a small water basin/pipe, directing rain down your neck in bad weather, from personal experience.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    But by cylinders I suppose you mean the stovepipe shako. This was worn by British right up to 1814 and even by some units at Waterloo, The Belgic shako was only really worn in the Waterloo campaign or a few units in late Peninsular.Sorry, as a long time wargamer, I like things to look right . There are a lot of other examples but hopefully Sir Chicken or someone will mod them sometime,like the militia in ETW.
    British stovepipes look okay to me, but something about the cylindrical Austrian and Prussian shakos bother me in 1805.

Yes I agree. The Austrians wore helmets until about 1809 and the Prussians were wearing bicorns in 1806 battles anyway.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I thought that Hat series did everything but no Austrians in helmets. Damn I'll have to complain.
    Last edited by Jihada; March 03, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    Yes I agree. The Austrians wore helmets until about 1809 and the Prussians were wearing bicorns in 1806 battles anyway.

I thought that Hat series did everything but no Austrians in helmets. Damn I'll have to complain.
    They didn't choose uniforms on what the start date was, they chose what they thought looked "cooler". To them, these were shakos.
    Everyone expects those "tall, round hats" in a Napoleonic War reenactment or game, this would genuinely surprise them with something different, but no.

I just noticed in my campaign that both Bavaran and Wurtemburger(sp?) line infantry have the helmets which appear to be the sort the Austrians would use. I've only looked at the unit cards, so I can't be sure of the exact accuracy, but that should mean that this issue can be fixed with the semi-mythical uniform editor quite easily. Or by modders, failing that.

So basically it seems that all the elements required to make semi-correct uniforms are in the game, just not implemented.

Is some brave soul at CA doing some guerrilla mod-maker assisting?

Yes but they didn't do their hw when it came to Austrian cuirassiers. They only wore a front breastplate and left the back bare which should give them less defense points but perhaps better offense considering greater flexibility. Anyway I'll start my own thread for that since this is, I KNOW, line infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Swerg View Post
    I just noticed in my campaign that both Bavaran and Wurtemburger(sp?) line infantry have the helmets which appear to be the sort the Austrians would use. I've only looked at the unit cards, so I can't be sure of the exact accuracy, but that should mean that this issue can be fixed with the semi-mythical uniform editor quite easily. Or by modders, failing that.

So basically it seems that all the elements required to make semi-correct uniforms are in the game, just not implemented.

Is some brave soul at CA doing some guerrilla mod-maker assisting?
    I'm trying to mod in the Bavarian helmets for Austrians, but I've ran into difficulties. Here's what I got (it's glitched). I know people can change hats, just look at Meneros' retexture.