Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Lepidus/Scipio

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Lepidus/Scipio

Tarquinius nodded in satisfaction. He was not fully aware of the Carthaginian situation, but he had heard of Hannibal and knew that if he had been killed, it could only be a good thing for Rome.
    R.I.P. God Save The King (2008-2013)

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

After much pondering around decius stood up from his seat - SENATORS - he yelled rather loudly, to calm down over the cheering after the news of Hannibals fall, rather unnesserary at that as the senators were still quite upset after the loss of the legion the battle before - Senators, While i do feel excellent about the news of the victory under scipio, we cannot wait till the report of Consul L. A. Lepidus in spain, we must react now, we still have no idea of what carthage might have instore for us with the fall of hannibal and we cant trust that our northern frontiers will always be safe, - as Decius says this he recalls some of his fathers stories about his encounters with the celts up north and to lesser extent the ferociusness of the barbarians while fighting under carthaganians - with this in mind and our current financial situacion I propuse establishing diplomatic relations with the greeks to the east, particularly the macedonians, - Decius never was the diplomatic tipe from the start, rather than negotiate he always thought the best rout to victory was when the city of the enemy was lying in ruins, his father on the other hand was different and always told him the need for balance between diplomacy and war, now with his fathers death he took his advise much more seriously, that didn't mean he woudnt respond immidietly to the call of battle - we cannot by any circumstances have them attack us in the middle of a war with Carthage and trade rights with them will allow valuable income to our coffins from Greece, after the war ofcourse is a different matter.

OOC: when only speaking i will use normal letters, when the text includes personal thoughts and narrations, what my caracter speaks it will be like this.
    Last edited by saxdude; March 03, 2010 at 06:49 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

A messenger enters the Curia, and hands his letter to the Senate scribe. The scribe unfurls the tattered parchment, and, when given the cue, steps forward. Unfurling the weathered scroll, he clears his throat. The Senate is silent. Sunlight streams in through the high window, cutting a bright gash in the floor that the man straddled. He speaks:

"These being the words of Consul Lucius Aurelius Lepidus, from his headquarters in Iberia...

Conscript Fathers,

What follows is an account of my latest actions in the Iberian Peninsula. Upon my arrival, I took up command of the legion stationed in Emporiae. The men were well rested, if restless, and eager to fight back. I immediately organized the men to march out to meet the enemy. We marched south, to liberate the allied city of Saguntum....

The long days on the march can take a toll on anyone. Days and days spent on your feet, marching, carrying pounds of equipment, always one more hill, one more camp to build. Eventually, the mind becomes tired as well as the body. A soldier will bear it though, if he believes in the mission. He will bear it especially well, however, when death is around every corner.

And so the legion marched south, along the Mediterranean coast. There had been no report of danger from the advance scouts, and yet Aurelius was cautious. He was entirely sure they were being watched. The way the locals looked upon the legion, the way the hills were so high, so able to conceal. Even the way the trees swayed at twilight, creaking in the evening breeze. Even the most stouthearted amongst men would be hard-pressed to keep the fears from his heart.

The horse rocked gently beneath, and the Consul was snapped from his reverie. This was the ninth day on the march, over rough country. The long column of 5000 men stretched far behind, the baggage trail further still. He looked back at the men. They marched without complaint, though he knew their packs were weighing heavily, full of provisions and weapons. A look of concern crossed his face; they had yet to find a trace of the enemy, and the absence concerned him. He faced forward. The sun beat down upon his brow, forcing him to squint. The effect was such that he could almost see something on the horizon.

He put his hand to his eyes. He was not dreaming; scouts from the advance party were charging forth to meet him. Calling his captains and kicking his horse, he trotted out faster to meet them.

"Consul! The town is sighted!" Aurelius breathed a sigh of relief. "Excellent soldier. Are they underdefended, as I hoped?"

The rider hesitated "Sir, it would appear that though the city is quite unprepared, we have discovered another moderate Punic force in the hills to the southeast - they appear to be massing their forces."

Aurelius paused. He put his hand up, calling the legion to halt. The sound of ten thousand feet behind him, stamping to a halt, was considerable. He held his reigns, thinking. After a moment, he leapt from his horse and pulled a map from his satchel. Studying it shortly, he marked where the enemy camp was with a finger. After a moment of reflection, he turned to his captains. "Listen up gentlemen; I have a plan."

---

The legionaries drew up on the eastern side of the town. The wall, present in the times before the Carthaginians, had been torn down, and the long circular road surrounding the town shone bright tan against the green grass. Archers of Carthage could be seen, readying on the road before the palisades of the barbarian style. The men twitched nervously, many facing their first battle. Aurelius was calm.

As he prepared, another contigent of his force formed up along the southern approach. The assault would happen in two stages; first, the legion would push into the town and secure the hilltop, the highest point where the governor's home sat high above the hovels - a bright, sandstone monument to Punic domination. They would take the hill first, and defeat the garrison of the town.

Second, spearmen and cavalry would rush to the northwestern approach of the town. There, they would organize a trap for the second Punic force, and destroy it when it rushed to aid the defenders. A good plan, he reflected, but much could go wrong. The mighty sun sat in a cloudless sky, and the glinting helmets of the Roman legion were nearly blinding; Apollo smiled down from the heavens, at least. Offering a silent prayer to the sun god, and to Mars, Aurelius drew his hand up, dropping it quickly.

A blast of trumpet. Centurions barked orders to their men. The battle had begun. Decius, Aurelius's legate, rode forward. "
    Well, my friend, it is in the hands of the Gods now..." Aurelius said softly. Decius spoke back "Nay, Aurelius, it is in the hands of Romans. Even the Gods would tremble at such a sight." Aurelius looked to the man on his right, chuckling.

The archers opened fire, their untrained salvos landing haphazardly amongst the advancing cohorts. Shields were raised, and the arrows began to bounce off of them. The men moved forward still. Suddenly a blast from the trumpets signaled the charge of the Equites. The horsemen charged across the open space towards the archers. The peasants, levies and conscripts, wavered as the hundred hooves thundered forth upon them. The cavalry impacted the archers with great force, sending men flying and crushing bone under hoof. The survivors were cut down with spear and sword.

The legions had approached the city limits now, and a new threat emerged. From the crest of the high hill, trained skirmishers of Libya appeared. Their spears shone white against the blue sky, their decisive tactical advantage imposing. The cohorts would need to charge up the steep hill to reach them. The Libyans readied a salvo, throwing their javelin high, the white shafts arcing down amongst the men. Shields raised over their heads, the legionarries absorbed the deadly rain. The Romans then raised their heads, and with a combined warcry, charged headlong up the slope and into the Libyans....

Meanwhile, upon the battle's peripheries, the spearmen and cavalry got into motion. Units of barbarian Iberians, hired as mercinaries by the Consul, and Roman Triarii and equites moved into action. Sweeping around the town's rudimentary pallisades, they marched doubletime to reach the northwest side of the city. The horns of the enemy reinforcements, barely audible above the din of battle and the sound of marching foot and trotting horse, could be heard ringing out in the high hills. A sense of urgency filled these men; If they didn't reach their objective in time, the battle would be a failure, and they would likely die.

Suddenly, a surprise - a unit of Libyan spearmen appeared from a grove of trees on the city's outskirts! An ambush!

The Barbarian cavlary were the first to act; they had been trained in the art of mounted skirmishing, and began to immediately pelt the spearmen with javelin. They fought backward in this manner, throwing and retreating, disorganizing the enemy as the barbarian spear closed in. With a mighty warcry, the celt-iberian spears clashed against Phonecian shield, and the crys of the dying and the wounded filled the air...

The legionaries on the hill began to gain ground. Hacking, stabbing, bashing with shield - the violence of their onslaught, the sight of their fallen commrades, the smell and feel of blood and gore - it was all too much for the lightly armed Libyan farmers. Dropping spears and shields, they fled up the hill towards the town center. The Romans pursued eagerly, thrilled with their quick victory. Until they reached the top of the hill.

In the city center was a unit of crack Celtic spears - these were the men that had shattered a legion in Hannibal's hands. The thought of facing them, man to man, was terrifying. Fortunately, the legionaries still carried their pila.

Surrounding the town square, the cohorts faced the Celts, who had withdrawn into a protective ball, their spears out and ready. Anticipating a charge, they stood firm. They recieved death instead. At a command from their centurions, the men of the cohorts raised their pila over their heads and threw. The carnage was devestating. Iron darts pierecd chests, hewed arms, crippled legs, and otherwise mangled and ruined. Shields, rendered useless by the heavy spears, were cast aside, and the casters were quickly brought low by the heavy spears. Then, the Romans charged. A quick and desparate melee ensued with the survivors, and then it was over. The hill was won, and the Punic banners were torn down.

But it was not over, not just yet. The sound of a Libyan trumpet blared, piercing the sounds of death and mortal combat with a shrill tone. The reinforcments had come. At their head, two full wings of trained Lybian cavalry, and they were approaching the city -fast. A cloud of dust partially obscured what trailed them; a full Carthaginan army, speartips held high, helmets and shields glittering. The Cavalry approached with all speed.

The barbarain cavalry fast approached, but quickly relented their charge. The Punics were too many. They fled into the city. The Punic commander saw their cowardace, and pursued with all haste. It would seem then that the battle was in real jeopardy, as the Punic reinforcments streamed headlong into the town...

Unfortunately for the Phonecians, they hadn't time to see the rows of spears they were charging into.

The triarii and barbarian spears had reached their objective, and the effect of the trap was devestating. The horsemen crashed upon the wall of barbs, and horses fell, throwing their riders far with the momentum of a stopped charge. The carnage was immense. Everywhere, men died and horses cried out in pain. The few cavalrymen that could stop immediately turned tail and fled. The enemy infantry charged to give support, but as they reached the Roman lines, they were enveloped by the Roman equites, waiting in the wings. The reinforcement party was cut down to a man.

And, finally, the sounds of battle and of gore and of death faded into silence. A short, jubilant cry went up amongst the men, and they settled down to the bloody business of finding and executing survivors.

Aurelius trotted his horse through the streets of the town, once bright sights against the green fields of the pleasant meadow of Saguntum, now red with the clotted and curdled remains of men lost to the tide of war. The sight was sickening, but he did not let on. Finally they reached the summit of the hill. The red Roman banner flew high above the square, with the remains of the Celtic foe beneath. Rome was triumphant.

Aurelius leapt down from his horse, and, climbing the steps of the governors's palace, surveyed the scene. He saw Roman dead and Gallic foe strewn about as one, the square a basin of death. The sun was setting, a red tint high in the heavens. He called for a parchment and pen. The Senate would like to hear of this.

Decius joined the Consul.
    "Apollo sends us red for victory." Aurelius nodded, "Perhaps Decius. Perhaps."

...and thus, Conscript Fathers, our conquest was complete. Saguntum belongs to the Republic. It seems, unfortunately, that much of the populace had become enamored of their masters, and were thus removed from the city, or killed. The purge has brought us wealth, however, which I hope justifies my use of mercenaries.

The conquest is proceeding well. I suspect that the enemy had to empty one of their garrisons to bring up those reinforcements, so it may be that we have killed two birds with one stone. I do believe that the army was intended to attack our forces at Emporiae, so it is lucky that I came when I did.

Until my next report, Senatores,

L. Aurelius Lepidus."

The speaker finished his recitation, and the chamber fell silent once more.

ooc: Just so you know, I introduced the Decius character in my campaign thread, he didn't just appear from nowhere

Last edited by Winter; March 03, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

"The Gods favour us! I command both of our Consul's on their success!" exclaimed Gellius, who noticed some unreasonable apathy from his colleagues. "Now we only need to hope the rest of the campaign goes as planned."

"On other issues, Senators, I think senator Decius is correct, we must look outside of our borders to find a way to increase our resources. Across the Adriatic the Greeks and Macedonians remain as potential trading partners, and despite our current war with the latter, I would hope that Carthage's defeat in Italy, that Hannibal's death, may persuade them to change their mind. I propose this:

I) A diplomatic envoy shall be sent to Greece and Macedon.
    II) Their objective will be to secure trading rights with the Helenes.
    III) With Macedon, a white peace shall be offered, followed by an offering of trade rights.
    Last edited by Ozy; March 03, 2010 at 07:15 PM.

This worthy news!! and not unexpected if i am allowed to say - "Hmm, well it appears lepidus is doing well" decius said to himself as he turned to address herrenius - Indeed tribune, as i said before we must take diplomatic action with the greeks and macedonians, it is best that way, let us hope these macedonians have at least a bit of sense in there minds.
    Last edited by saxdude; March 03, 2010 at 07:31 PM.

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Tarquinius stood.

If the Carthaginians should continue their hostility toward our great republic, then may they all suffer the fate of Hannibal. And I also believe it would be in our best interest to pursue diplomatic relations with the Greeks.

An excellent job by the consuls, may their lucks in battle continue.

As for the proposal the tribune placed before this body, I shall put it to vote at once

So Lepidus, you still live, and you as well, Scipio. Spain is a large place and even a lucky man as yourself, Lepidus, is not one that could avoid unfavorable circumstances. Several strongholds in Spain still remain. Let's see you hold on to dear life in those barbarous forests.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Luck had nothing to do with the defeat of Hannibal. He should have withdrawn and he didn't and his small remaining force was destroyed. Consul Scipio has lost a major battle and won a sizable skirmish. As pretty as his words are, they still tell the tale of a legion slaughtering an army they outnumbered nearly 4:1.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

It had been weeks since we last convened as a body. As of now, no word of further engagement had come from Spain. No word either from the north. And the quaestor has not delivered his report! What? Have we suddenly gone powerless and leaderless in the absence of the consuls? Must we become complacent now that Hannibal is removed from our sights? Genoa still stands, Carthage still stands.

But a more troubling thought occupies my mind. From what we've remembered about the initial battle by Hannibal, it seemed that he had been WAITING for our legions. As if he knew just where we would be. Now that is no small feat for a foreign man, especially a Punic, to achieve this in Italy herself. Senators, know you what I think?

I think there are traitors in Rome! I demand a state of public emergency be enacted within Rome to search for these traitors. I propose the following:

Lex Extraordinaria de Securitate Romae:
    I. Rome is to be placed in a state of emergency of which the following are to be observed:
    II. Families with members known in maritime trade, foreign language - particularly western, currently living in newly conquered Punic territories, and marriage ties to Carthage are to present those members to the Praetor with means of proving their allegiance to Rome.
    III. Families with said members who do not present those members to the Praetor will be investigated. If said members are discovered, the entire family will stand trial for possible espionage.
    IV. Those found guilty of aiding Carthage will be crucified on the walls of Rome and their possessions confiscated by the State.
    V. The state of emergency shall last until both consuls have returned to Rome.

Senators, it's time we root out the traitors.

ooc: use your imaginations here

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Decius heard pallas, utterly apaulled "has this man gone mad? I should have known Pallas, he will take any oportunity he has to gain power!" - Senator, this is rediculous!! - he said very madly - are you willing to swallow Rome into your own paranoia? Hannibal is dead now, what we should do is rebuild and repair the wreckage caused by that barbarian, not drown the city in craze!! - he sighed and he rubbed his forehead trying hard to control himself and regained his composture - While I do though agree that it is somewhat suspicous, we cant immidiately assume that there is a traitor among us, much less put the city in state of alert, is it that difficult to believe that a man that managed to get all the way to Italy like he did, to not calculate this? Why was this not done beforehand when the threat was still alive? or could it be senator - he spoke with open suspicion - that you are trying to gain something of your own here, or better said get rid of?
    I believe that this, if to be done, should be done slowly and intelligently. Think wisely senators, do not be persuaded so quickly by such paranoic words.

OOC: BTW nice twist.

I am trying to get rid of something here, the stinking traces of any Punic influence within the City. After all, what would you have to hide from the investigations if you yourself do not fit these descriptions? I think this is something that all citizenry of Rome will be appreciative of, it shows us that there will be no more possible betrayals and ambushes to surprise our forces. Lepidus is in Spain, he will need to know that the home front is secure from Carthaginian treachery.

If we do not find the former agents of Hannibal now, we risk another incursion into Italy. Senator, these plotters are working day and night to destroy us, to put us down. Just last night, the body of Senator Maxentius has been found in the streets, stabbed to death by these foul agents. If this is no reason for us to declare a state of emergency within the City, then I don't know what reason you would need!

Senators, the threat is upon us now. Let us act against it before it swallows us further!

Crusades

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Gaius stood again.

Senators of Rome, please, let us not panic. I do agree that we should do all we can to ensure the security of our city, but we must not jump to conclusions. As Senator Servilius has said, we must take our time and ensure that we make no false accusations. The last thing we need is to cause an unnecessary crisis during a time of war.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Senators, i find myself having to agree with the Preator. Surely such an investigation will lead to one of two outcomes. It will vet us all and allow us to continue in the full confidence of each others loyalty to Rome, or it will find one or two of us that is hiding things. The question has been raised, let us persue it fully, lest it fester amoungst us below the surfice. I will support the Preator's bill.

I'm glad to see that there are members here who have our public security in mind. I shall put this to vote at once.

Crusades

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Tarquinius resumed his seat, feeling slightly defeated it. So be it, he thought. I tried, but it is not my place.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

A messenger hurries into the Curia. His clothes are ragged, and he appears to have been rushing back to the city. He hands his message to the Senate scribe, who wastes no time in unfurling it and reading when bidden.

"These being the words of the Consul, Lucius Aurelius Lepidus, from his encampment in Hispania...

Ave Conscript Fathers,

Forgive me if I am blunt. I am wholly concerned with the recent developments in the city, and intend to devote a large portion of my report to this. But first, the essentials, some rather important news.

New Carthage, the great port and home of the Barca clan, is Roman. There is not much to tell of the battle; the city was emptied, and its garrison is likely the force I encountered outside of Saguntum. The assault was a simple matter of scaling the walls and dispatching the bodyguard of the local governor. What is of note is the name of that governor - Hamilcar Barca. It would seem that Hannibal's brother has gone to join him. I will next move north, inland, towards the city of Baikour to disallow any assault upon our new gains. After that, the only enemy stronghold is the coastal city of Gades. The conquest is progressing well.

Now, as to the tide of fear and paranoia that seems to be surrounding proceedings in the Senate; I say to you now that the accusations and wild claims of the Praetor are ludicrous at best. No traitors betrayed Drusus's legion - nay, it was only the foolish command of a togaed critic, the cruelly unflexing wording of a document drafted by the Praetor himself, that forced our noble Drusus to fall with all the subtlety of an erupting volcano upon the tactical genius of Hannibal. It was the rash and arrogant decision made by the Praetor of Rome to send Drusus there, and it is he who is responsible for the deaths that occoured.

Why then, does he attempt to deflect? Can he not see, does he not know, that we are aware of his actions? That we were physically there when he made his fatal motion, when he beguiled and intimidated the masses of the Senate with slanderous accusations of treason and crime? Of course! He is a coward, but he is not a fool! This man is well aware of his positoin, and he is wise enough to know that he must deflect; he must put this guilt away from him, and onto another!

Ask yourselves, Conscript Fathers; what plague of disaster has befallen our fair city? What army is at her door? The city of Genoa is besiged by our noble Consul, and the lion has fallen before him! Our foe is on the run in Hispania, with her greatest city there in Roman hands! Why does the Praetor call for a state of emergency now, when not a three months ago the Republic was in mortal peril? Why does he favor these powers for himself, and not for the Consuls when the need was greatest? What motivation could he possibly have but self preservation?

Do not let this vile serpent wind his way into your stout hearts, Romans. Let not the evil in this very chamber with you affect your morals, your forebearance, your dignitas. Let not your City fall into the hands of the would be tyrant, lest all be cast down in ruin.

Let it be known; I shall return to Rome before the year is out, Drusus possibly sooner. Upon return, we shall seek to have the Praetor driven from his office through Senate vote; his deriliction of his duty, of his Roman honor, and his reason have proven dangerous to the fabric of our Republic. Let all good Romans of conscience put this man away from them. Let them not associate with him; Let him be a pariah. Let the Senate, in the absence of the Consuls, try him themselves. And let justice be done upon his evil form.

Were it possible, Conscript Fathers, I would return to Rome immediately and with all speed to ensure this vile man's justice is served; alas, despite our gains, Roman Iberia is in mortal peril, and i must not leave until the fight is won. Let not my absence deter you - let you good men of the seven hills ensure the Republic is safeguarded.

With prayer to Minerva on your behalf,

L. Aurelius Lepidus."

The Speaker finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Only the guilty would speak words against a law that would increase our City's security. Perhaps Consul Lepidus has forgotten that the proposals that I finally agreed to gave Scipio two legions to dispatch Hannibal with. Scipio chose to march with only one, perhaps at the behest of Lepidus. Lepidus is the one deflecting the words. The law called for the consuls to first dispatch the threat in Italy before moving to Spain, but with Lepidus' whining and wish to die in Spain, I conceded. So you see, if Scipio's failure is to be blamed on a lawmaker, it falls squarely on the shoulders of Lepidus.

Go tell those words to Lepidus, and make sure he heeds it well.

Crusades

"How shamefull it is that we senators are at our throats, i trust not Rutulus but lepidus seems no different, if only in opinion. Regardless the problem now is Rutulus, I doubt his reasons for this and i shall remain on to him, but silent... for now" decius thought to himself.
    Last edited by saxdude; March 04, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

I see no reason for any laws such as this. Next time you should put forward a more important law if anything. Surely if Hannibal had spies here than he would have withdrawn after fighting our first legion. There is more proof that he had no spies than anything.

I'm sure it was Scipio's usual lethargy when it comes to facing a battle that allowed Hannibal to be prepared, or rather, Scipio's cowardice becoming ever so apparent, only a general should be the one to order a retreat and he retreated when his men decided to, losing control of the battle and his men completely. He gave no such order to retreat, all the men previously in the first legion to attack Hannibal should be made to lay down their arms and report for questioning of their loyalty to the consul and to Rome then put on a summary trial for cowardice.

If you're looking for spies you should look in the more obvious places Pallas.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

I agree. First of, if a traitor is found, I really doubt he would be someone linked to Carthage in such an evident way. That would be to obvious, everyone would suspect of them anyway. An actual Roman, maybe just Italian, would be more likely for a spy. I oppose this based on the fact that if there are any spies I doubt this legislation would do much against them. If the Senate supports it, then I suppose it will pass without much trouble. I would recommend different measures from the Praetor, as I doubt this would help.