Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Lepidus/Scipio

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Lepidus/Scipio

Route of escape? You talk as if the man waltzed into Italy without any opposition! He had to march through territories that we know belonged to the Gauls, a nation that does not view the Carthaginians with any more love than we do. He marched to Italy knowing that he would be cut off, and that was why he took Genoa. And now, Carthage has a reason to devote more troops to Italy, more manpower to take our cities in our homelands. We can ill afford Hannibal roaming around the countryside any further. We must face him head on! None of this fanciful maneuvering into Spain! Hannibal falls now or we won't see a Rome that can stand up against his threat!

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Senators, Lepidus proposes this motion to avoid the necessity of appointing a dictator. You speak as if we have suffered a devastating defeat at the hands of Carthage when no such thing has happened. Understand that without countering Carthage on every front, they will simply amass troops where we amass ours- and that would be in Italy. Attacking strongholds elsewhere would draw enemy forces away from Rome, and once the threat to the north has been crushed by two and a half legions of a combined consular force, not only will Roman honor be intact, but we will have expanded our holdings in Spain or at least denied Hannibal a chance for reinforcements.

I support his motion.

By Minerva, there is no point in acting as if we do not know the facts, Pallas. We know exactly how powerful the enemy on our soil is. We know our own strength. If you are inferring we need almost five legions to destroy an army of Carthaginians and a garrison force you are wildly underestimating both the power of the Roman military and the capability of its commanders. Half the forces you suggest we ferry over will not even arrive in time to take part in the fighting if we defeat Hannibal with the strategy you recommend. Unless you anticipate the absolute destruction of all our forces in Italy to the point of needing two additional legions to land for her defense.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; March 01, 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Your mind shifts so suddenly, Pallas. I see now how, when convenient, Hannibal is "but a scouting force", whereas now he is the preeminent threat. I tell you still, you err. A head on battle with the beast will ruin our northern army. A certain nuance of strategy is needed that requires leadership from the front, not blind proclamations of a Praetor. My fellow Consul and I have discussed this matter, and our judgement as generals is that we must make this Iberian incursion to remove Carthage's strongest base before it becomes useful to them.

Or would you be so utterly bold as to disagree with both Consuls on this military matter? Would ambitious be a better word? Tell me, Praetor, would you wish to lead the armies in our stead?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

The Tribune remained quiet, listening to the arguments. Scipio's words made some sense, keeping the troops in Italy would only keep the war here, and the distance to bring troops in and out of Iberia had to be considered too. But of course, the war could be lost if the troops in Italy were not enough. He would have to reconsider his position, but would only speak after he made his mind...

My opinions of Hannibal were made before our scouts delivered reports of how strong his actual forces are. Don't twist my words, Lepidus. It is you who view Hannibal with such fear that you would not dare face him. What makes you think that you would fare better in Spain when you will be confronted by numerous number of Carthaginian commanders with thousands of troops at their disposal? Do you think it'd be easier than the situation you face here? Do you wish to go to Spain to gain victories so that you would not have to face your task here?

If you want to go to Spain, if you want to bring victory from the West, then demonstrate it first here, at home.

I propose the following:

1. Consul Lepidus is to assault Hannibal head on to remove the barbarian from our soil
    2. Consul Scipio is to assault Genoa in a simultaneous campaign to remove all trace of Punic influence from Italy.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Lepidus's face hardens like stone

I have endured all of your fallacious arguements and your ludicrous reasonings until this point; you dare to call me a coward. The impudence. The sheer temerity. You who sits in comfort in the Senate as others go to fight the great battle of the day on your behalf. What utter, loathesome arrogance. What unfounded pride.

I will respond to your petty claims no longer. You will send two Consuls to do the job of one; you will send one to his death fighting an army and a foe he cannot take in a frontal assault; you will see the loss of advantage and the stalling of a war effort to placate relentless pride, to supplicate pure ambition. Your political machinations in the face of the end of the Republic are a most absurd irony. For shame.
    Last edited by Winter; March 01, 2010 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Lies after lies, deceit after deceit. How many times will you twist my words so that they fit your purpose? I will support an adventure in Spain if Hannibal is removed from Italy. Remove Hannibal from our soil to placate the fears of the Senate and we will happily grant you imperium in Spain.

Here is my final proposal, I will not change this.

1. Consul Lepidus is to assault Hannibal head on to remove the barbarian from our soil
    2. Consul Scipio is to assault Genoa in a simultaneous campaign to remove all trace of Punic influence from Italy.
    3. In the event of a successful campaign, Consul Lepidus will be sent to Spain to conduct war against Carthaginian holdings
    Last edited by chaplain118; March 01, 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Crusades

Good show Lepidus, you have an excellent vocabulary for a Pleb. I also happen to agree with you in some sections of your motion.

Gaius Cornelius Lentulus stood up.

We have been bickering all day about this Hannibal but some have failed to notice certain important points raised in discussion.

One, Spain is practically undefended.

Two, If the forces in Spain do manage to fight through Spain they still can't travel fast enough to outflank Hannibal and come up behind his forces, and if they do, the Romans forces communications will be slow, and Hannibal will turn and defeat the Iberian legions before our Italian legions can react, and Hannibal will have won another victory.

Three, we cannot transport our men from Spain across the sea, even if they stick to the coast the Carthaginian navy will find the fleet and destroy it and we'll have lost the legions anyway.

I support Lepidus' plan in some ways in that we cannot bring the forces to Italy if we plan on doing anything useful with them. I say that they should conduct offensive operations in Spain. I also agree with Scipio in that we need those heavy infantry somewhere else. I say that those infantry should be used to quickly form a legion here in Italy. With 2 and a half legions we can effectively fix Hannibal in place, flank him ad attack him from the rear with a smaller force if our marches are done correctly.

Well? Carry on with the discussion, but I would suggest that we come to a decision soon, preferably before we have to speak that ghastly language of those Punic mercenaries.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Herrenius takes the word,

"Senators, let us finish this discussion soon, we have debated for a week and achieved very little! Despite the sense that some of your arguments may make, I can't risk the defense of our main holdings, albeit the possible advantages that may have. I have said it before and I shall do it again, I will veto any motions that propose sending a Consul overseas, so I suggest, colleagues, that you drop the idea. I support Senator Rutulus's more prudent approach, and suggest we begin a voting session at once."

Spain is not practically undefended. We know little to nothing about Spain's defenses. What we do know is that Carthage is embroiled in a bitter war against the natives of that land. If anything, charging so recklessly in there now would mean the death of our Spanish legion. Right now we need every last legion we can muster before launching a full invasion of Spain.

Crusades

Gellius, what is your reasoning keeping both consuls in the same place? And Pallas, do you take me for some work mule? To stand around outside some damned wall the entire war twiddling my thumbs until too hungry tp continue the dogs slink from their hiding place as my colleague fights in Spain?

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

After the words of the now rather flustered consul, a man stood up from the group of haughty-looking senators, who sat around Aventinus.

"Work mule, Scipio?" drawled Rufus' voice, looking around with a sarcastic smile. "Work mule? Oh, but of course taking a city from an enemy who threatens Rome directly isn't a fitting job for you, is it? Apparently you would like to have more, much more! Why deny that you'd rather Lepidus stay at home while you deal with this Hannibal. Tiberius Drusus Scipio - bane of Hannibal, conqueror of Spain, even Carthage itself!? How beautiful it must be for you to daydream, while this House bickers and Romans die, Roman lands burn!

But of course, doing something useful or wise is below you; what a pity... Taking a city from the enemy is like being a work mule to you. To Romans, it would seem as a duty they would gladly accept to do. To you it's unpleasant work. To you it's like being a slave; to you it is like taking orders from people with probably more sense than you. Now of course, there is one position - though quite old and rather unused of late - where you don't have to be under the torture of taking orders from others. . ."

Rufus motioned his hand around his forehead, as if to touch an unseen crown - an act resulting in many hisses around the hall and several sniggers from the people who generally opposed Scipio and his ways. Rufus didn't smile now, merely let his hand fall back to his side, his eyes gleaming maliciously.

"Of course, a long war far away from the eyes of the Senate would benefit you greatly, wouldn't it, Scipio? Perhaps you could even regain some of your fortune you've lost during the elections?"

The Senate burst out again in angry buzzing, which Rufus managed to quell in a casual flick of his hand. Looking around at the many faces looking at him with a considerable range of different expressions, he continued:

"Now unless you've noticed, Conscript Fathers - and I'm sure you have - only, the... disabilities of others make it seem otherwise - our war is not in Spain; it is here, in Italy! Wake up, Senators! We do not have time to make grand plans, to sail legions around the Sea, to think of a way in which we can escape a fight. Battle is inevitable. Face it! Hannibal is poised to strike at the Northern Legion, while we bicker and our consuls
    - like children fighting over a toy - cannot decide who will do what.

Wake up Senators, and realize that we have no time for all of this. We need to act, and quickly! This is the time to be bold, to be brave, to be Roman! Or have we all lost these qualities? Have we forgotten how to be strong and not just flow with the tide? No? Then let us take action. Let us confront this barbarian as we should have done long ago. Let Genoa fall to our soldiers and then we can concentrate on a far-away war that has little concern to us, compared to our current situation!"

Rufus sat down slowly, drinking in the glares of many senators around the House. He bent close to the Praetor, muttering in his ear,

"What times we live in, that this once noble and august House is led by fools, barbarians, weak and senseless people."

Pallas nods appreciatively to Rufus' comments

So, there you have it, esteemed consuls. It seems that there is a faction within the Senate who are dedicated to the ideal of a preserved Italy against the two of you who would rather see action in Spain before your own backyard.

As I have already heard the Tribune supporting my motion, I demand it be placed to a vote.

Crusades

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Gellius, what is your reasoning keeping both consuls in the same place?
    Have I not said so already? We need military leaders here, we need men who know how to lead our troops in Italy, and of course we need the troops here to defend Italy. All I wish is that we have all the possible troops and commanders to face the invasion!

You claim that it is unnecessary to have both of you here, that Hannibal is but a minor threat, but then, what can possibly go wrong? The only difference it should make is that the war in Italy will be over sooner, and Hispania will still be there, ready for you to conquer it.

If your concern is about timing, I have already proposed the creation of a Propraetorate in Iberia. A Propraetor could then analyze the situation, and tell us if an offensive war there is a possibility.

Now, if you don't mind, Consul, move Rutulus's motion to vote.

Scipio looks bemused.

I'll let you crown Hannibal yourself, Rufus, as it is clearly your intention that we forsake all reason and haphazardly throw all of our forces at the first thing that makes us jump without tactically considering any other option.

Turning to Gellius

You assert that strong military leadership is needed in Rome in the form of consuls yet you fail to take into consideration the counsel of the commanders you intend to rely upon. Also what makes you think this impulisve cur motioning to Pallus will create a propraetorship in Iberia when he won't even let a proconsul take command in the province of Sicily?

Senators, we have abandoned all reason if we focus solely on Hannibal. In the greater scope of things Italy is not our only concern. We will forsake Iberia, let Sicily fall into disrepair, and once victory in the north is assured by mere force of number, for any idiot could lead a force thrice the size of the enemy to victory, we will then look to pick up the pieces of our diminished empire? Meanwhile hundreds of years of work of our forefathers is thrown away. Mehtinks some members of this counsel are too concerned about their vacation homes and farms in the north and not about the greater wealth of Rome in general.

I trust your commanding skills, but a general makes such choices with the head, not with the heart. The option to leave our people under threat to attack an enemy's vulnerable spot, while tactically sound, does not consider the harm that may come upon the people you supposedly intent to protect! Of course, what are some dead Etruscans, Samnites or Romans back home, as long as we win, right? Nay, Consul! I have sworn to defend the interest of the common Roman, of the common Italian, and I shall do so. Now, for the last time, I request, no, demand that you move the Praetor's motion to vote!

The longer you argue and delay, Scipio, the more Hannibal will raze through the north, causing havoc among our allies. Will you be remembered as the consul who did nothing against the Carthaginian invasion or the consul who repelled a powerful army from Italian soil? I am willing to let you traipse off to Spain if and ONLY IF Hannibal is removed from our doorsteps.

Crusades

Pallas, that is not in either proposal. I recommend we reach some middle ground and try and combine both prpoposals into something mutually beneficial. it is clear that many senators believe that Hannibal needs to be dealt with first, before we begin moving to Spain. I propose the following:

1. Consul Scipio be given the northern command and a total of two legions to dispatch Hannibal and assault genoa
    2. The Sicilian legions will be transported to garrison Rome, under command of Consul Lepidus.
    3. If reinforcements are needed for the North, Consul Lepidus will be dispatched.
    4. In the event that Hannibal is destroyed with the first two legions, Lepidus shall board the fleet at Ostia and immediately set sail for Spain.

Senators, by my life and honor I can promise to bring Hannibal to his knees within the year. In the meantime we can move reinforcements into position if they are needed, but at the same time have them standing by to sail to Spain. By positioning one legion in Rome, it can easily be called on to defend the north in case of disaster, but also maintains a state of readiness for setting sail to Spain. In total, the south of Italy will move to garrison Rome as well as the excess legion from Sicily. In the meantime the forces on the punic isles will be ferried over to the mainland to join the forces in the north.

So be it, this proposal I can stomach. Put it to vote, consul.

Crusades

Scipio nods

I appreciate your willingness to be flexible.