Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: [NTW AAR] Liberation, A British AAR.

Default Re: [NTW AAR] Liberation, A British AAR.

Thanks Erik3E, I really do respect and appreciate how you have continued to comment on my AAR for quite a long time now.
    Whell I cant help the AAR is so damn interesting, good and AWSOME!

Nice twist with the landing in Italy!

Also I think I saw my best friend laying in the afther math picture from The Siege of Strasbourg In the crater on the lower left side of the picture.
    When I gett the news I am hedded straight from my current destination stockholm and travel to Strasbourg to bring my dead friend right home to Stocholm sweden where his family lives. Who knows mabe I will stay in Strasbourg and join the brittish and there allied in the fight for freedom!

Sorry about that I just love being able to feel like I am there when I am reading this storry!
    Last edited by Erik3E; March 25, 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Master of Times's Avatar Libertus

hey dude, this newest episodes are awesome!! i was wondered you will fight in ice, but perhaps is better to defend italy

but i thing is veyr important open a new front in south Russia...

you will go well

SirNat's Avatar Libertus

Nice Duel update, do have some mod campagin map cause there so many French cities in France.
    Is Smith's fleet actully high quality?

Lewis I have a question, how have you managed to get your new protectorates to go to war with the French? Are you just bribing them to do it because I'm having some difficulty with this.

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Thank you very much chaps once again.

Thanks MasterofTimes for your kind words

@Erik3E

Thanks again, Sir. I actually have a Swedish campaign on the go as well, so if I ever get round to finishing this one, I may start that one, we shall see. Probably a long way off however, considering how large the French Empire still is.

@SirNat
    - I don't have any campaign mods, no. I just use the names of the small settlements for the battles if they take place nearby.
    -Smith's fleet is actually quite small, a few first rates but nothing much else that's why its a game of cat and mouse with the Ottoman and French Navies.

Thanks!

Edit:

Hi Burden,

Some of them we're attacked by the French others I had to ask but although it wasn't much of a problem for me as I only had to give them all my technology and some money but it all helps me in the long term. I wish the game would make them automatically at war with your enemies though.
    Last edited by LuckyLewis; March 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

Save the Kingdom of Sicily there a Quarter of my Blood if you dont stop them I mite not be born lol Great as allways kip it up , and I no this is a bit late but it is sad to think that Alexander Mercer is dead and wount get to see the fall of Paris but you should name a ship of the line after him so he can go on fighting the frog Napoleon

Can't you make Denmark go vs France? They are quite powerfull at this point

Content Emeritus

Thanks Pentecostal Knight and Simo8484 for commenting

Kingdom of Sicily looks fine for now actually as shown in this update. The Danish are at war with France although I haven't see much since I'm no longer concentrated in the north any more, we shall see.

Smaller update today, but the next one promises to be interesting by the looks of things.

In reference to: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337275

New Update

LIBERATION
    Europe at the end of July 1811

August 1811 - Part 28 - The Fall of Strasbourg

Yet again, The French Empire has focussed it's massive military might on the city of Strasbourg. Both the Duke of Wellington's army and the Dutch Garrison lye strained and weakened from what feels like an infinite ghastly flow of French assaults. Philippe Durand and some 6500 men have been mobilised to finally defeat the Anglo-Dutch defence on the key battleground of 1811.

- The Siege of Strasbourg Part III 1811

Wellington and Gerard van Kessel moved their struggling armies into position, awaiting Durand's onslaught. Victory is an unlikely outcome today upon the outskirts of the war-ridden Strasbourg.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wellington and his army took position on a nearby hill as his Dutch counterparts harassed the French Lines with several units of the Dutch Hussars challenging the Polish Lancers in fierce cavalry battles across the field. As Durand's forces we're busy fighting the Dutch Cavalry, French reinforcements appeared to the south, forcing Kessel's men to a hastely retreat back to Wellington's lines.

As the French reorganised and marched towards the Anglo-Dutch position, the Duke's famed Howitzers fired upon their advancing lines. French Cuirassiers charged the British Flank with fire from Dutch Line Infantry and the 4th Foot Guards and Coldstream grenadiers. Most of the French Cavalry we're destroyed but a few courageous souls managed to reach the British Lines, forcing some of the army to form squares in order to oppose it. The Cuirassiers charge was followed by many infantry regiments of the Durand's army including one regiment of the legendary Old Guard, which was quickly annihilated by the British Howitzers while French Light Infantry picked off those of the Highlander Regiments from either side of the Strasbourg Defence.

As the battle raged on throughout the day, the Anglo-Dutch ranks continued to fall, lack of ammo and misfire was a certainty on the fields as the rain fiercely poured down. The Dutch and British continued to hold their position despite severe losses, eventually pushing back Durand's army with little less than 500 men remaining from some 5000 at the dawn of the battle. It was a victory for Wellington, but not without cost, his army was devastated and much could be said of the same for the remainder of the Dutch as yet more bodies now lye upon the fields of Strasbourg.

Despite the Victory, Wellington and his now seriously limited army returned to Stuttgart in Württemberg with one man at the head of the column carrying nothing more than half a union jack. The Dutch Garrison was lost and only a few days later after Durand's defeat, a new French army appeared outside Strasbourg, only for the settlement to surrender into the Empire's hands. The City was lost, Wellington's army was nearly useless, it may be many days until Wellington's force will be ready for battle against the armies of Napoleon yet again, only making the siege of Paris much less of a possibility. Who knows how many men will fall victim to the fields of Strasbourg in the future.

Further into the Med

The British Fleet continues to sail with haste sailing past the Balearic Islands, occupied by our allies, the Spanish. It shows the tremendous strength of those from the Iberia Pennisular, with the Spanish landing upon Napoleon's island of Corsica.

As Sidney Smith passed by the coasts of the Kingdom of Sicily, it seems that they have managed to deal with the Ottoman threat themselves. Now, after dodging several French and Ottoman Fleet, the British are within reaching distance of Greece. Russia will have to wait as the Ottoman Empire must be weakened for their continuous support of Napoleon, and hopefully allowing the Greek peoples to rise up in the process. Nevertheless, will Sir Sidney Smith and his fleet even make it to Greece? Only time shall tell.

To be continued.

Good as allways, Greece a very cool looking forword to the next post

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

LOL holding half a union jack!

:o Im pissing my pants of anticipation!

Awsome Keep it upp!

Lewis, I've managed to scrape some money together and bribe Brittany and Wurtemberg to go to war with France. Spain was a bit easier, I asked them to do it in our peace agreement. Only problem with that is that I have basically crippled Spain (they only have Catalonia left and no fleet) so they won't be much help.

Anyway, another brilliant installment. Can't keep my eyes away from this AAR! I'd give you more rep but I've already given away my quota for the day. lol.

Content Emeritus

Thanks again everyone. Nice to hear how your campaign is going Burden

Smaller update today, but the next one promises to be interesting by the looks of things.

In reference to: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337275

New Update

LIBERATION
    Europe at the end of August 1811

September 1811 - Part 29 - The Greek Front

In Early September, Sir Sidney Smith and his fleet had finally reached a worthy destination, Greece. Ferdinand Ernt Gabriel, A native of the German regions, whom joined the British army with the ambition to defeat Napoleon, disembarked his army from Smith's fleet just outside Athens. The men we're pleased to finally be on dry land but rest... they could not.

Aslihan Yahudi of the Ottoman Empire, some of the last loyal friends of Napoleon's empire had met Gabriel's army on the outskirts of Athens.

- The Battle of Greece 1811

The Battle for Greece had commenced, Gabriel must fight in an almost alien environment to what he has fought previously within against an Ottoman army with superior numbers and artillery. This long-lasting journey must not be for nothing as he ordered his men to move forward.

As Ferdinand's men marched forward, the superior artillery of the Ottoman empire battered the British Lines, forcing the British to advance much more quickly in order to avoid much more casualties. Ferdinand's army continued to sprint across the barren lands in the fierce sun of the Greek lands, with one cannon shot hitting several of Ferdinand's own men.

However, it was not long until the British lines reached their Ottoman foes, a musket skirmished ensued with casualties taking place on either side. Fortunately, it seemed Ferdinand's men we're winning forcing some Aslihan Yahudi's men to retreat. In response, Yahudi signalled most of his entire force to charge straight into the middle of the British army in an attempt to break their lines. The Ottomans sprinted down the hilly terrain smashing into the British lines as artillery shots from both sides blazed in the hot sun.

It was becoming apparent that the middle lines would not hold, and Ferdinand's worries eventually became a reality as his Line Infantry in the middle began to flee. Nevertheless, he had moved his units of the flank around the Yahudi's force and now the Ottoman's themselves we're in a spot of trouble as British Howitzers and Muskets fired upon the Ottomans from several directions. Ferdinand gave the killing blow when himself and two regiments of Dragoons charged into the remainder of the Ottoman army, leading to a massive rout. Aslihan Fled the field as his army was cut down.

With the Yahudi and his devastated army returning to the North, he left Athens open to Ferdinand Ernt Gabriel. The Small Garrison surrendered to the British army and the greek peoples arised free from the Ottomans' long oppression of their proud nation. The Greeks were free and Ferdinand had won the first victory on the new front.

September 1811 - Part 30 - Swiss Courage

Since the Duke of Wellington's unfortunate failure to protect Strasbourg from the French Army originating from Switzerland, the French have moved north close to the recently occupied city of Reims, which is currently governed by George Townshend Walker, an experienced British General. It was only a matter of days until Louis-Bernard Bessieres and his Franco-Swiss army were besieging Riems

- The Siege of Reims 1811

George Townshend Walker deployed his men along the walls, awaiting Louis' army. Deploying stakes in an unrepaired gap within the Fort of Reims' Walls with the 32nd Highlander Foot Regiment holding it.

The French Infantry rushed down the nearby hill, straight towards Walker's fort. He ordered his men to fire from the fort's cannons, drastically reducing the morale of Louis' army as the cannons pounded the Franco-Swiss lines. Nevertheless, it was not long until the French we're just below Walker's walls itself. Despite the heavy rate of fire from the British units on the tall walls, Louis' men began to climb with a regiment of Swiss line leading the way. The Swiss pushed back the undisciplined armed citizenry and milita from their positions on the walls, leading to Walker sending reinforcements to ensure the walls wouldn't fall into the French hands. An epic struggle continued on the walls as bayonet stabs and musket fire were shared across the narrow walls.

Meanwhile, The 32nd Highlander Foot Regiment cane under fire from French Artillery and Line Infantry, eventually leading to a French charge. The Scottish Highlanders held their ground and as the French men of line fled away from the British walls, the Highlanders followed them, leaving them open for an attack by several regiments of Cavalry. The 32nd quickly formed a square in a desperate attempt to hold off the massive cavalry charge, hoping the friendly muskets and cannons from the walls will aid them dearly.

The extreme strength of the French was simply too much for the 32nd as they began flee back through the gap in the wall as Walker sent several units of Line Infantry to reinforce it. In the rush of the battle, the French cavalry charged the retreating Highlanders just as their British foes had done beforehand with the fleeing French Line Infantry. This was a foolish error by Louis' men as his horses fell, unable to spot the stakes deployed earlier. The French Cavalry we're devastated as musket balls were fired from both the ground and high walls.

The foolish failure of the Cavalry at the stakes near the gap in the wall

As the French Cavalry retreated, The Swiss we're eventually broken down on the walls, and Walker's men had successfully repelled Louis-Bernard Bessieres' grand army, who were responsible for the reoccupation of Strasbourg by the French Empire. Now, with the French assault dealt with in Reims, Sir John Moore, a Scottish general has travelled down through the British Isles, across the English Channel and now stands in Normandy with an army of tremendous power. With Walker's Army free in Reims and the landing of Moore, Paris is within our grasp. Moore hopes to achieve what the legendary Alexander Mercer failed to do so.

To be continued.
    Last edited by LuckyLewis; April 01, 2010 at 11:45 AM.

Best one yet, glad to here about the liberation of the Greeks I hope they will help you in time and I hope the Swiss get whats comeing to them for helping the frog empire lol

Awesome I love your AAR, but I feel sad since the AI gets killed nearly all the time and it appears you are going to win. But if you could let people get in on that action for a Drop-In to make the battles a bit more interesting ( I am not saying they are not) but fighting that predictable AI takes away some thrill.
    Anyways this AAR is awesome and I hope the campaigning goes well!!!

Content Emeritus

Thanks Pentecostal Knight and overlord

As for your point, Overlord. Some of my battles have been drop-in battles believe it or not, I just never mentioned it. The Battle for Caen is an example of such. Oh, and Let us not forget I got massacred in the Battle of Picardie-Champagne, the Battle of Paris and the Battle of Orléans (which even resulted in a cross-swords symbol for the French) and some of my best generals/admirals have died throughout the AAR too. But thanks again, and for the constructive criticism!

Cool to know some were drop in battles. I wonder if you know of any of the persons who had a small part in shaping this excellent AAR?
    Para Todos Todo, Para Nosotros Nada. - Subcommandante Marcos
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Content Emeritus

Thanks Cyphon88, they are close friends of mine who are not members of this forum I believe. It's much harder to find someone for drop-ins now that I have mods, so we have to ensure we have the same.

Leoben's Avatar Decanus

An awesome AAR, it's always a pleasure to come and read it from time to time.

Petrov's Avatar Campidoctor

Awesome AAR Man ive been following this fa ages, lol Keep it up, Man how long would this AAR go for? by the way after Sweden are you going to liberat italy, to fully cut of the french?