Thread: A short review...

Default A short review...

These are my observations based on the European Campaign, 1805 – 1812 played as France on VH/VH. I have not completed the campaign, but have fooled around with it more than the length of time it took me to uninstall Empire, which is good.

This will be a brief review, but hopefully educational.

THE GOOD

- This is the most immersive Total War game in a long time. The addition of historic generals really lets you “feel” the game more than Empire ever did. If we couldn’t have a family tree of some sort, then this was the next best thing to get you caring about your individual characters again.

- The graphics are great. The game just looks better than Empire.

- I found the CAI to be good. I had to face naval invasions, and armies maneuvering to encircle me on the campaign map (perhaps this was an accident?). Further, the actions of the campaign map translate to the battle map as reinforcements show up where they should show up.

- I’m really enjoying the little extras. Letting the highest-ranked general deploy last (and therefore get to see his opponent’s deployment) makes sense and gives you a reason to send out your top generals (the BAI sure doesn’t compel this). Also, seeing a map of the battlefield during the loading screen is a nice little touch.

- Attrition is a cool touch. I find myself confronted with the problem of winning my campaigns in the campaign season, and not whenever I see fit. It adds a nice element to the game. I do think they could have taken it further, and allowed reinforcement in enemy territory WITH a line of supply (which could then be cut), but I’ll take this small step for now.

- Though I haven’t yet tried it, the ability to bring a human opponent into your solo campaign is a god send. IF this works properly, then we FINALLY have a campaign that we might lose.

- AS OF WRITING, I’ve yet to have a CTD or freeze. Granted, I have not played many hours, but I was plagued by ridiculously frequent CTD’s in Empire from the get go, and have not yet pulled out a single hair over Napoleon.

THE BAD

- As always, the BAI is as good as YOU make it. If you want to fight the computer, and have any challenge, you will need to abide by stringent house rules.

One especially distressing battle occurred shortly after the Duke of Wellington had caught me unprepared by a naval invasion. I rushed Ney to Paris to defend just outside the city. The Duke attacked Ney, and had 2 to 1 odds, including cannon. He then marched his line infantry right into range of my canister shot, and had them pause for the remainder of the battle. My lancers flanked his artillery, my cannon destroyed his line, and I went out for a smoke.

The only battle I took significant losses in was when the Austrians encircled me on the campaign map, and I had to fight a two-front battle. I still won, hands down. If you are having trouble vs. the AI, give it a week, and you won’t any longer. Just like every other TW game ever released.

- The Waterloo scenario (from the campaign menu) was a disappointment. They had a chance to make a unique map, and settled for placing three basic farmhouses. Hougomont, etc. reduced to generic models. I felt some of the sieges from Empire’s RTI were much more interesting, and that is a shame.

THE UGLY

- The interface is tough to see. For France at least, there is a light blue campaign movement that makes it difficult to judge just how far an army can travel in a turn, for example. I would imagine this is something that could be modded, and it needs to be.

THE VERDICT

I was planning on waiting longer to buy this game, as Empire made me irate, but user-reviews convinced me to buy it Friday. I have to say I am glad I did. Total War is immersive and fun again. I love the named generals, CAI, graphics, and multiplayer hope. The things I don’t like (weak BAI), I haven’t ever liked in a vanilla TW game, and probably never will.

I don’t feel comfortable giving it a number or score, but I am comfortable suggesting you buy it. If you can either play by house rules, or take advantage of the multiplayer options, I do believe you will get your money’s worth. At least you won't tear your hair out like with Empire.

That being said, NTW’s ultimate place (as those of all TW games) will be decided by the modders. If they can’t give mod tools, the CA should at least give mod guides. If they embrace the modding community, the might be the best TW of all time. If they don’t, it won’t… No DLC made by a corporation’s wallet will ever match a mod made from the fan’s heart.

Default Re: A short review...

Thorough review, thanx for posting