Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the 'Russia in MP' thread, tips, tactics, strategies

Decanus

Default the 'Russia in MP' thread, tips, tactics, strategies

Despite having a similar thread here, I open this topic for discussing and analyzing the Russian faction and it's possibilities in MP. Tips, Tactics, Strategies from MP players are always welcome.

The Russian Military in NTW MP.

While playing Russia in multiplayer, you should think differently. What I mean is that etw's/early ntw's tactics of harassing enemy with 125 range snipers and sharpshooters and then pound them with powerful line infantry volleys just won't do. The thing is that Russia doesn't have any 125 range snipers (like France) and her infantry suffers from poor shooting skills. (Russian Lifeguard (45) is worse in shooting than British Line infantry (50))

Usually people, having played once as Russia using the standard tactics find Russia rather weak in MP because the basic tactics don't work with them. The russian line get pwned in firefight against any line infantry (though it takes more time to shoot the russian line out due to their higher morale)

So, to play Russia efficiently, one has to bear in mind several points.

• Russian army has bad shooting skills across the board. In prolonged firefight It will eventually loose to anyone with higher shooting abilities.
    • Russian infantry has better morale across the board (except for the Elite French Old Guard) Militia has 5 morale (others have 4), Line infantry has 7 (others 6 except Britain is 7 but a lot more expensive), grenadiers 9 (others 8), Pavlovsk grenadiers 10, lifeguard 12
    • Russian infantry has the best melee skills.
    • Russian infantry has the best charge in the game (Pavlovsk grenadiers with 22 charge are like 19th century tanks)
    • Russia has a very diverse choice of cavalry. When it comes to value/cost it has some great options (Cossacks for instance)
    • Russian artilley pwns everything hard. The unicorns are weapons of mass destruction if used properly. Combination of targeting and inspire makes them snipers from the artillery.

Russian Multiplayer Roster - unit details, their role and usage.
    To be continued

{GrailKnight}'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: the 'Russia in MP' thread, tips, tactics, strategies

You'd consider them a good faction?

blonkers1234's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by {GrailKnights} VeDrAn View Post
    You'd consider them a good faction?
    i'd say best.

My strategy with Russia in the campaign as well as MP has been to bring out a strong amount of artillery and pound my opponent into coming to me. Once they are withing firing range of my troops, I let off a single volley and charge their lines.

I use my cavalry to counter theirs, and if I can, get behind their lines to take out their artillery. If all goes well, I can turn the cav back on their lines. Usually, by the time my cav is free of it's other duties, the infantry lines are fully engaged and can't turn to meet the charge. I've been having pretty good success so far with this, but my plan goes to sh!t if my cavalry gets routed before I can engage the infantry lines or if my opponent has artillery supperiority forcing me to come to them.

While it sounds nice that they have better morale and melee ability, I find this hard to utilize. By the time you close the distance, then your troops will be shot to ribbons. I think any strategy with this must incorporate terrain features to shield them from direct fire. Seems like street fighting might be the best place for them.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by aletoledo View Post
    While it sounds nice that they have better morale and melee ability, I find this hard to utilize. By the time you close the distance, then your troops will be shot to ribbons. I think any strategy with this must incorporate terrain features to shield them from direct fire. Seems like street fighting might be the best place for them.
    Perhaps it would be possible to deny opponents shooting at them by barraging areas with the superior Russian artillery. Most players become aware of heavy artillery fire destroying their units and try to protect them and/or advance when such is the case.

Marathas in E:TW (or natives) were pretty much excellent for training melee combat on a larger scale; terrain shielding being very important indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

LiN's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    Marathas in E:TW (or natives) were pretty much excellent for training melee combat on a larger scale; terrain shielding being very important indeed.
    In ETW, I never used terrain for the Marathans. I just charged straight on with sikh warriors and win. I don't think this principle would apply for the russians in either game.

Targeted Fire and Advance is Russia's best friend. Use it.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by LiN View Post
    In ETW, I never used terrain for the Marathans. I just charged straight on with sikh warriors and win. I don't think this principle would apply for the russians in either game.

Targeted Fire and Advance is Russia's best friend. Use it.
    I did use it, however not as often, perhaps, as it seemed in my post. When an enemy was camping or playing generally defensive on a map like Ceylon, I usually assaulted on the right flank to use the protection of the hill there to get at him quickly, without having to run through heavy fire.

You might win without using the terrain to your advantage in such a way, but it will most certainly spare a few of your men and add to the glory of your victory, should you win.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

LiN's Avatar Tiro

You might win without using the terrain to your advantage in such a way, but it will most certainly spare a few of your men and add to the glory of your victory, should you win.
    I like the straight on rush because it's like the movies where everyone is dieing from gun fire while the whole army is charging. Looks epic when you zoom in. Then your sword equipped army rips apart those gun wielding totes! RAWR! SO MUCH BLOOD!

Oh it's not easy but it can work...

4 unicorns 4 howies rest line and sit there

Quote Originally Posted by ccqwert7 View Post
    4 unicorns 4 howies rest line and sit there
    Well, not everyone wants to face such cowardice.

Isn't max 2 art no fixed a pretty normal set of rules?

Quote Originally Posted by RPK View Post
    Isn't max 2 art no fixed a pretty normal set of rules?
    In ETW, sort of.
    I don't think the verdict is really out yet for NTW though, to me most rules appear as if they were being set up out of habit more than anything else (yet).
    Then again, I felt that no fixed games in ETW also were set up mostly out of habit after 1.3...
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

LiN's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by daniu View Post
    In ETW, sort of...
    but I don't think the verdict is really out yet for NTW, to me most rules appear as if they were being set up out of habit more than anything else (yet).
    I rarely played games with a limit on cannons in ETW, not that i brought unlimited cannons. I bring a max of 4, i bring 2 or 3 usually. I think 4 or even 5 is already the upper limited of cannons.

on a side note, are you going to set up a thread for your videos on this forum?

Well this is a napleonic game, so I think artillery deserves its place.

Quote Originally Posted by LiN View Post
    I rarely played games with a limit on cannons in ETW, not that i brought unlimited cannons. I bring a max of 4, i bring 2 or 3 usually. I think 4 or even 5 is already the upper limited of cannons.
    I agree... artillery gets too dangerous to take beyond 4 against a reasonably good opponent, at least in ETW.

on a side note, are you going to set up a thread for your videos on this forum?
    I started one in the General Discussion, but that got buried pretty fast under the heap of activity there...
    maybe you're right, here we go
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

{GrailKnight}'s Avatar Senator

Doesn't Russia get a unit called "Moscow Muskateers" in the imperial edition?

Yes, is quite good, cost effective and only 800, too bad you can only get 1.

Correct, although like blonkers said you are only able to have one. Most of the "Top 5" factions get some type of special line or two. Austria for instance get the 47th Czech Regiment and the Emperor's Own Line Regiment. They are all limited to one however.

Decanus

The results of some tests

• Russian line annihilates every other line in melee (except for British which is way more expensive)
    • Russian lifeguard annihilates every other guard in melee (except French old guard)
    • Russian jaegers outshoot french chasseurs if they fire first.
    • Russian militia annihilates every other militia in melee.
    • Russian grenadiers are worth having with their incredible 21 charge.
    • Russian cossacks seem to be the best money/value option if used properly
    • Russian Mounted Rifles seem to be very effective skirmish troop if used against guards. Be careful though, they can be annihilated by any enemy cavalry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast