Thread: I am just a noob!

Iulianus's Avatar Laetus

Icon9 I am just a noob!

Hi all,

After many troubles, finally I was able to start a campaign!
    I was looking for something challenging, so I chose to start with the faction of Julian in 355 AD (campaign level hard and battle level very hard).
    My first impression was: WOW! I looked at the map, cities, factions and units and it is all wonderful (many compliments to the developers, the mod is simply fantastic! )
    But when I focused on the situation of my empire, I discovered to be in big trouble, low economy, cities in revolt, hordes of barbarians at the gates and as if that were not enough my troops and my general (except Julian) are all very weak.
    My first move was to converge with all the armies of Gaul on Argentorate to try to defeat Chnodomar and send him over the Rhine...but this costed me a lot of men, and after that I couldn't retrain the troops! So my strength decrease while those of the enemies are always very strong; but despite this I have also conquered Chnodomar and Vicus Alemanni, but at this point my forces are almost annihilated. Franks continues to be powerful, I was not able in any way to take Colonia Agrippina. Meanwhile the Alemanni practically defeated (they were attacked by the Vandals to the east), continue to reject the peace proposals (even when i try to give them both provinces I've conquered).
    Britannia is in danger Celts are powerfull but i hold it, i've already defeated the Saxon army! Africa is almost lost Berbers are invading my provinces and i have no army for fight them (the army in Nova Carthago is on the way to Gaul)
    The home front things are fairly under control, rebellions are not too many, but is all highly precarious.

I would like to build a glourious a Roman Pagan Empire!!!
    if someone would be my guide I would be very grateful!
    Last edited by Iulianus; March 01, 2010 at 04:52 AM.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: I am just a noob!

Welcome to the Late Roman Empire, Iulianus!

I haven't played the 355AD campaign as I am masochistically playing the even bigger 361AD Persian Invasion campaign (help me!) so I can only comment in general terms: sack and destroy any barbarian towns, etc, for money. Be ruthless. Don't expect to get in the black for quite while and manage your troops accordingly. Use your foederates to wear down invading stacks to preserve the crack frontline elites. Concentrate on building up your economy before hiring loads of troops when you slide eventually into the black. Avoid major battles if you have to and pounce down on small marauding armies - pick them off one by one. Fight major battles only when you know you can annihilate a barbarian force. Think Late Roman after Ammianus and Vegetius. Never abandon any forts or disband troops to save money. Preserve the limes! Protector the Emperor!

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

SBH has it all right on what to do...,and here i was about to ask for help with the east as well.... armina and the persians AND the arabs all attack me
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Iulianus's Avatar Laetus

Icon7 Re: I am just a noob!

Or I could use the cheats!

Thank you guys! I'll try this way...
    I'll keep you informed...

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

using cheats just ruins gameplay...

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Iulianus View Post
    Or I could use the cheats!

Thank you guys! I'll try this way...
    I'll keep you informed...
    Well, there is the Forced Diplomacy Option that you can install. It does give some advantage in diplomacy. You can find it in the options folder within the IJ folder.

Iulianus's Avatar Laetus

I'm joking naturally!

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    using cheats just ruins gameplay...
    Depends how you use them. It can make campaign less challenging but more fun to those who don't seek very hard challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Iulianus View Post
    Hi all,

After many troubles, finally I was able to start a campaign!
    I was looking for something challenging, so I chose to start with the faction of Julian in 355 AD (campaign level hard and battle level very hard).
    My first impression was: WOW! I looked at the map, cities, factions and units and it is all wonderful (many compliments to the developers, the mod is simply fantastic! )
    But when I focused on the situation of my empire, I discovered to be in big trouble, low economy, cities in revolt, hordes of barbarians at the gates and as if that were not enough my troops and my general (except Julian) are all very weak.
    My first move was to converge with all the armies of Gaul on Argentorate to try to defeat Chnodomar and send him over the Rhine...but this costed me a lot of men, and after that I couldn't retrain the troops! So my strength decrease while those of the enemies are always very strong; but despite this I have also conquered Chnodomar and Vicus Alemanni, but at this point my forces are almost annihilated. Franks continues to be powerful, I was not able in any way to take Colonia Agrippina. Meanwhile the Alemanni practically defeated (they were attacked by the Vandals to the east), continue to reject the peace proposals (even when i try to give them both provinces I've conquered).
    Britannia is in danger Celts are powerfull but i hold it, i've already defeated the Saxon army! Africa is almost lost Berbers are invading my provinces and i have no army for fight them (the army in Nova Carthago is on the way to Gaul)
    The home front things are fairly under control, rebellions are not too many, but is all highly precarious.

I would like to build a glourious a Roman Pagan Empire!!!
    if someone would be my guide I would be very grateful!
    When Constantius II sent Julian into Gaul he fully expected Julian to be killed on campaign, thus ridding him of a potential threat. No one at the time believed Julian was upto the job, he was a scholar, had never been on a military campaign before and all he knew about warfare he had learnt from books. Gaul was a disaster zone, most of the northern part had been overrun by barbarian tribes, and a goodly number of towns and cities had been occupied by the hairy barbarians.

You should try and emulate Julian's successes by slightly lowering the taxes so the population becomes happier, fight battles where you know you can win i.e. the odds are at least 2:1 in your favour so that the morale and expertise of your army builds up. Sack as many barbarian towns and cities as you can to instill terror in those uncouth savages. Don't try to convert towns and cities to Paganism too early, only do it once you have had a number of successful battles under your belt (Julian did not attempt the restoration of pagan worship until he became sole Emperor in 360AD).

If you can emulate the Battle of Strasburg in 357AD then you will certainly have something to brag about!

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh dear another person with a Julianus username just to confuse everyone! We're up to three now, good effort team (Woo!)
    As for the Pagan Roman Empire, try finding the thread which has some useful hinty hintys in it.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Oh dear another person with a Julianus username just to confuse everyone! We're up to three now, good effort team (Woo!)
    Well, at least there are Bruces...now that would really make things confusing.

First Rule.....

With acknowledgement to Monty Python

Iulianus's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Valentinian Victor View Post
    When Constantius II sent Julian into Gaul he fully expected Julian to be killed on campaign, thus ridding him of a potential threat. No one at the time believed Julian was upto the job, he was a scholar, had never been on a military campaign before and all he knew about warfare he had learnt from books. Gaul was a disaster zone, most of the northern part had been overrun by barbarian tribes, and a goodly number of towns and cities had been occupied by the hairy barbarians.

You should try and emulate Julian's successes by slightly lowering the taxes so the population becomes happier, fight battles where you know you can win i.e. the odds are at least 2:1 in your favour so that the morale and expertise of your army builds up. Sack as many barbarian towns and cities as you can to instill terror in those uncouth savages. Don't try to convert towns and cities to Paganism too early, only do it once you have had a number of successful battles under your belt (Julian did not attempt the restoration of pagan worship until he became sole Emperor in 360AD).

If you can emulate the Battle of Strasburg in 357AD then you will certainly have something to brag about!
    I know very well the story o f Julian, I studied it deeply, he was a great character and one of the best roman emperor, almost like Marcus Aurelius or Trajan...
    But in the game, my big problem is how to keep my troop alive enough to reject barbarians, abaout taxes and the restoration of paganism I'm agree with you!

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

....But in the game, my big problem is how to keep my troop alive enough to reject barbarians....
    It'll definitely take you quite some time to learn this. Technically, it doesn't sound hard: fight only small battles, attempt ambush whenever possible, use the proper tactics (never engage with one line through entire battle), but of course, it takes time.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Basically the first turn is vital, so vital I will write it again in caps: VITAL, if you want to rebuild Paganism. Start construction of the temples that convert before all the money goes away next turn, and get the field armies in Gaul into forts or replace their commanders. Also renovate the defences of northern Gaul, get the troops into forts or cities that actually block a crossing and use the others as residence for the field armies. You also want to replace the commander of one of the field armies near Antiochia. Then, start demolishing churches. BUT do it very carefully. If a city has a Christian majority, leave the church there so it's still the official religion in that city, but begin building up the Pagan temples, so eventually the balance will change. If a city has 50/50 or better in favour of Paganism, get in there and get rid of the church and begin building a temple. With Jerusalem (Aleia Capitolina) build a Jewish temple because you'll want the place to remain Jewish because it's too much effort to try to convert them. It's up to you if you want to sponsor Manichaeism but if you do Carthage and the east are good areas to do so.
    End Turn.
    Then, send the legions against any city that revolts and exterminate. Try to stay at peace wth the foreign powers for now until the empire is fully in control.
    From there on play as normal, crushing all resistance and conquering for the empire! ROMA VICTORIA!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'