Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Darth Napoleon Review (7.5/10)

Default Re: Darth Napoleon Review (7.5/10)

I've logged over 30 hours in NTW, and have yet to see the melee bug
    I can vouch for Darth, I've seen it too many times to count now. It seems to happen a lot when I fight elevated- ie. using a hill as a defensive point. They seem to love gracefully walking into my men as opposed to charging.

This does appear to be a detailed review, but I can't help but find fault with your AI testing.
    The only examples you have used of BAI are those in which you do not, or hardly, move your forces. This instantly gives you a big advantage, as your units can fire on the enemy before the enemy can get into position.
    I personally don't think that leaving your army standing still and watching the AI get massacred is a good test. For one thing, I very much doubt CA spent any time programming the AI to react in a human manner to a stationary army. How often would you leave your army doing nothing in a real battle?
    In additon, you have made no mention of naval AI. This has been significantly improved since Empire. It is no longer possible to send a single First Rate into the middle of the enemy and come out victorious.

Default Re: Darth's review up

Yay darth is on napoleon!

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Something else I would like to mention, maybe I put that later as a central info, is that I tested in Normal/Normal difficulty settings. The fact that there is still melee bug is something undeniable for me due to my tests. It is not as often as ETW due to indirect methods implement by CA to hide it as mentioned. I know though that it cannot be easily traced when the human players play too aggressively, rushing forward and using simple RTS tactics, maybe this is the way is meant to be played or beta tested, but those tactics are not clever or historic. Against an (able) human opponent these tactics would find a brickwall. If you just stay in a position and try to bombard the AI while it struggles to find a position to counter... it becomes boring.

And enough with that logic that most players want the arcade style to enjoy... look so many mods for the Total War series: RTR, Europa Barbarorum, Third: Age Total War, Steinless Steel... my DarthMod, and so many others which use clarity and preciseness to straighfrorward logics and try to offer so much better visuals and mechanics... why? Why none of the mods try to be even more arcade so to appeal to even more users? Do you know any arcade mod in twcenter? Maybe there is but its purpose is always the opposite from the start. To offer more historical accuracy.

And yes the review sounded bitter but it is sincere... I cannot stand this inner fall of The Creative Assembly all these years (my personal opinion as always). It seems to me that it runs in 2 speeds. One developer group works for the best and a mysterious group destroys the rest.
    I don't think it is an issue of simple verse complicated gameplay.

What matters the most is whether the gameplay will be boring after a while. If a game is simplistic to the extend that every battle feels the same, there is little incentive to play. At the same time, if the game is too complicated to the extend that you are having more diffculty in figuring out how to command your army as opposed to thinking of what tactics to adopt, it takes the fun away as well.

The goal is to create a game where it is simple enough for people to make sound decision without too much trouble, and at the same time, allow them to implement different strategies to win the different battles.

It doesn't make any difference tbh, I've played agressive before and not noticed a single difference in tactics, only that they die a LOT quicker and I take fewer casualities (Because the AI can't form up quick enough so I beat them to the punch most of the time.).

Can't say I agree about combat being too quick.

Next I will speak about the naval battles. I think in this sector everything works better. The new repair system of ships is a welcome but mostly “transparent” new feature. The AI seems to follow the straightforward tactics of the era but the balance makes that less enjoyable. I still cannot accept the motorboat turning rates… I cannot. Also the cannon shots are sharphooting turbo laser cannons, so again, tactical timing and strategic thought is limited to a quick pass of cannonry where the biggest ship eats the small.
    The way that someone must test the AI, in my opinion, is to try to find its weaknesses and this includes extreme methods. The method of staying idle is not an extreme... it is so basic. What if the human army is stationary and the player goes for a coffee? Can the AI win? The fundamental question. Now in NTW can win because of the increased melee and projectiles lethality values.

This testing methodology is mentioned and approved by most modders here in the forum as the best to find how the AI works in its basic form.

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by maxlurifax View Post
    Yay darth is on napoleon!
    Actually, he says he's not going to buy it until CA releases modding tools. Its towards the end of his review.

Hi darth

thx for giving us your "naked" preview of NTW, been both good and sad reading
    I and most other ppl here do agree that ntw is a overall a better game compared
    to etw atleast it is my own view.

but as you point out it still have its flawss sure it do....

Regarding the Mele bug some have complaind about it allready, and to be honest I have
    seen only 1 or 2 times in my battels so fare, iam wondering if the bug occure only on
    special occasions...now iam no expert on AI matters

but the few times where I saw these mele charges where on the flanks of my army
    while the rest of his army (enemy) forming a battle line ....
    as to drawing my attention to the mele charge making me commit more troops
    to his charge and there for giving him the ege of more fire power.

now I dont know if iam the only one that have seen this, or if this is a random AI
    thing.

and I do hope by the gods that one day you will buy NTW
    and give us a Darth MOd for ntw

but the choise is offcurse yours

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

This is the first review I'm trusting. Thanks Darth, I had a quick play on a friends copy and came to pretty much same conclusions. Suffice to say I'm not getting this game anytime soon.

I also dislike the purely arbitrary end date to the coalition campaigns. Was there this cut-off date in history? I think not. Its just silly.

I would really appreciate an end date being made optional in any Darth Mod.

aus-rotten's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Vor View Post
    Can't say I agree about combat being too quick.
    the infantry is acting like beeing on speed...

NO GODS -NO MASTERS
    just free minds

my brown power ass in your white power face.

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

It will be a sad day when Darth gives up on modding NTW, also for fellow modders because now we will be left to figure out a lot of things by ourselves... On the brighter side, what modders that are left for NTW will benefit from their knowledge of ETW, and we should see more and more complex mods for NTW sooner.

That said, I agree with Darth's overall assessment of NTW (except the part about the removed firing drills... my first impression is that it may well be an improvement). About the "melee bug": I've seen the AI blunder into my lines without firing a shot in NTW, but as opposed to ETW post 1.4, it doesn't happen systematically. It's hard to see what's going on exactly, because of the ridiculous movement speeds and the high rate of fire, but I'd say the BAI is equivalent with what we had in ETW patch 1.3.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

...I'd say the BAI is equivalent with what we had in ETW patch 1.3.
    If that's true, it's not so bad... 1.3 AI was okay. It would move up to you and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    I also dislike the purely arbitrary end date to the coalition campaigns. Was there this cut-off date in history? I think not. Its just silly.

I would really appreciate an end date being made optional in any Darth Mod.
    well every game must end at one point, but iam sure that you have the ability to continiue
    playing after 1812

well,thats that then.if that is this highly respected mans vieue on this game then they can keep it.just confirms what a lot of us suspected anyway.no mod tools for this thing? what a stupid decision!

Valbruch's Avatar Ordinarius

Yay, Datrh's review is up.

Now we should all embrace the Dark Side.
    We are the Brunnen-G,
    we're waiting to die.
    We celebrate the death
    that will fall from the sky.

Thanks for the great review Darth. I held off buying NTW, but was going to buy it and wait for mods (I done the same for ETW, and it sat on the shelf for almost a year before I played it). I wont buy NTW until you mod for it, since I wouldn't play it till then anyway.

I don't know why CA is on this self destruction course. Some companies have massive corporate oversight, so from the top down its alot of money and stuff on paper, and when it filters down to developers, they have to make what the people at the top thinks will make cash. Depending on how they patch and release mod tools for NTW, they will become on of "those" developers that no-one will like, always have a negative response from the community and eventually have blinkers on so they make whatever they are told to make regardless of quality or support.

Kye.

Excellent review. Completely agree on the part about the small army and super fast battles. Judging from this review and those of others, the game does seem worth playing but I'll probably wait until the price drops a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
    This does appear to be a detailed review, but I can't help but find fault with your AI testing. The only examples you have used of BAI are those in which you do not, or hardly, move your forces. This instantly gives you a big advantage, as your units can fire on the enemy before the enemy can get into position.
    Um, what? A big advantage to the player over the AI if the player is just standing still? You might want to rethink that logic.
    On release
    Quote:
    “Empire: Total War has exceeded all our expectations. It's one of those rare "great works" that the team will remember with enormous pride for the rest of their lives, and the public will remember as one of the landmark games of the decade”
    Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly

Oct 9 '09
    Quote:
    "I had 6 copies of Empire: Total War sat on my shelf intended for close gamer friends that I didn’t send out because I was too embarrassed about the flaws."
    Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly