Thread: Artillery ranges

DeaDBolT's Avatar Decanus

Default Artillery ranges

I would like to suggest an increase in range for the basic 6 pounder artillery, with the current 450 range, you cant even deploy your cannons before you begin the battle, you have to start the battle and then move them into position.

This however can take such a long time, usually, by the time my artillery is within range, i am allready pushing the AI back, i once went through an entire battle constantly moving forward, trying to get my artillery in a firing position without ever getting of one shot before the end of the battle,

You might say i could simply tech up to 12 pounders asap, because their range is 750, but that's another problem, i dont know much historical facts about artillery, but this difference in range seems like too much, also for some reason 12 have only 40 accuracy while the smaller cannons have 60+ accuracy, which also seems like too big a difference

I would also like to suggest changing the firing arc of cannons, angling slightly upwards because on flat terain you can barely go without hitting your own units in the back, this wouldnt be so bad if there where decent height differences in the maps, but 9 times out of 10 this seems absent from the map.

I know Darth found a way to add more height differences to maps, maybe this could be done here as well?

Sorry for my long post, i just hope someone with modding skill picks this up.

Cheers,
    Last edited by DeaDBolT; February 28, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
    "Opinions that come forth out of prejudice and lack of knowledge are always defended most fiercely, often with violence" Unknown (with additions by myself)

Proud to be Dutch.
    A proud member of S.I.N.

Something i said made sense? +rep me to +rep you.

DarthMod@Twitter (NEW!)
    Call to arms! An army of 5.000 is needed.

Default Re: Artillery ranges

With regard to the 6pdr cannons, I agree as far as range is concerned. The way I combat that issue is by using 6pdr horse artillery, and deploy to the flanks. This compensates for the time it takes to move artillery up. Besides, in almost every battle I've fought, the AI cannot resist my artillery, and thus charges almost straight for it. (melee bug....)

As for the differences, historically (and technically) the short barrel length and width make the 6pdrs more accurate. This same concept can be seen in WW2 tank combat as well, were the germans used a variant of the Panzer II and III versions with a short barrel for close in infrantry support. Because the longer barrled tanks that carried a 50mm gun at the time were inaccurate against infantry. Thus the larger the gun, the wider the barrel creates an instability when the shot is fired, leading to decreased accuracy (at least as far as early projectile weapons are concerned). Remember...they didn't use rifle barrels back then, it was all smoothbore bronze.

As for the firing arcs, I certaintly agree. This makes artillery very hard to place to support your defense or advance. It seems that to avoid killing your own men, you either place your artillery at the front, intermixed in line, or on the flanks to crossfire against an enemy. This creates an issue because the AI automatically goes for it, either way. While I don't have an issue using 6pdrs up front, the bigger 12 pdrs should be situated at the rear, and able to fire over your troops. So i would second a mod that incorporates that.
    "These are the names of 100 of the most prominent Senators and friends of Brutus in Roma. We should kill them, all of them, before they learn what we are about"
    Gaius Octavius Ceasar

DeaDBolT's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Artillery ranges

Well, i've noticed now that the artillery properties of exactly the same artillery can differ greatly per faction, for instance in my first post i was talking about Russian artillery, but now that i've seen france's 12 pounders, they seem about as accurate as their 6 pounders, but the range still sucks.

I like that factions dont all have the same statistic properties, but there needs to be some balancing and tweaking done to artillery.

Which brings me to the infantry, i liked in Darthmod that the larger factions had higher unit numbers, but in NTW even though Russia's infantry sucks compared to all other major factions, they have exactly the same amount of them, which really adds an unfair layer of difficuilty to the Coalition campaign.

Sorry for going of topic there, but i just think it also needs modding\addressing.

Cheers,
    Last edited by DeaDBolT; March 01, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
    "Opinions that come forth out of prejudice and lack of knowledge are always defended most fiercely, often with violence" Unknown (with additions by myself)

Proud to be Dutch.
    A proud member of S.I.N.

Something i said made sense? +rep me to +rep you.

DarthMod@Twitter (NEW!)
    Call to arms! An army of 5.000 is needed.