Thread: Building Forts? (besides city fortifications)

Default Building Forts? (besides city fortifications)

I'm pretty sure this is not in game, as I've yet to see the option anywhere, I spent a turn marching my generals around trying to build forts.... *sigh* Not sure if they plan to put it back or anything, and even though sieges are terrible, I've found some nice little crossroads where a fort would be extremely desirable.

Maybe they removed forts because of the inability to repair them?
    Last edited by Jimbob5252; March 16, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Default Re: Building Forts? (besides city fortifications)

I loved to have the forts and watch towers as well they were a very cool element of the game that seems to no longer be here.

Yeah they'd go especially well with all of the improvements. It would be nice to be able to build a fort near critical supply depots and what not.

It'd go well for a mod that goes back up to 6 month turns. It's not so good for the Napoleon scenarios because you're essentially grounding your army for 6-10 turns while they build a fort.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

I want watchtowers back, a few of those babies on the Austrian borders and I'm sorted for life!

Mr. Sorrow's Avatar Ordinarius

Forts were obsolete in Napoleons timeframe. Armies would avoid them even after the end of Seven Years War... But sure I loved E:TW forts...

Icon14 Re: Building Forts? (besides city fortifications)

Ever heard of the "Lines of Torres Vedras" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lines_of_Torres_Vedras)??

I am very disapointed that fortifications were not included in NTW, they were not
    obsolete, and although less common, due to armies being more mobile, they could still be an important strategic tool as demonstrated in Portugal where Wellington's genius at secretly deploying a line of fortifications halted the French army and ultimatley turned the tide of the Pennisula war!!

Doing abit of research, the was a huge amount of fortifications built in GB during Napoleonic times to face a French invasion, true they were never tested but would have been used had anyone tried to invade GB.

In the game you can only fortify the capital cities but there were huge fortifications around Dover and over 100 Martello towers were built all along the GB and Irish coasts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonreborn1981 View Post
    Ever heard of the "Lines of Torres Vedras" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lines_of_Torres_Vedras)??

I am very disapointed that fortifications were not included in NTW, they were not obsolete, and although less common, due to armies being more mobile, they could still be an important strategic tool as demonstrated in Portugal where Wellington's genius at secretly deploying a line of fortifications halted the French army and ultimatley turned the tide of the Pennisula war!!
    YES! That is one of my favorite parts of the whole napoleonic wars. I really thought it was a shame that spain was represented as only three provinces. It'd have been great to be able to reenact the peninsular war but I'm guessing they might release such a campaign as DLC (or so I desperately hope)

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Badajoz, Ciudad Rodrigo..... of course forts were still used and attacked in the Napoleonic wars!

Torres Vedras was actually rather more like a first world war trench system or a Roman wall than a single fort.

Ciudad Rodrigo and Badajoz were fortified cities - not forts in the MTW sense.

Outside of Spain (where you also had a famous siege at Saragossa) formal eighteenth century-style sieges are indeed a rarity - Napoleon fortified a whole bunch of German and Polish cities in 1813 including Hamburg and Danzig but the allies just blockaded them until France surrendered.

Paris was also strongly fortified in 1814 but the marshals defending it just chose to surrender when the allies turned up.

Mantua and Ulm were also fortified by the Austrians but again surrendered without proper sieges.

Has anyone ever seen the NTW AI build a fort?