View Poll Results: Which is the best overall army?

Voters
601. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA

353 58.74%
  • China

36 5.99%
  • India

4 0.67%
  • Russia

35 5.82%
  • Pakistan

4 0.67%
  • North Korea

6 1.00%
  • South Korea

1 0.17%
  • Israel

48 7.99%
  • Turkey

13 2.16%
  • Iran

5 0.83%
  • OTHER[PLEASE SPECIFY]

96 15.97%
Page 1 of 57 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the Best Overall Army in the World?

Default Whats the Best Overall Army in the World?

well i know most of you guys are going to say U.S.A. because of technology and stuff...but gimme your opinion why they are the best...

well my pick is USA because of the technology and how much our country puts money in our military and how powerful our country is...also only the United States is capable of quickly moving lots of combat power to anywhere on the planet.... the United States can put enough combat power just about anywhere, and become the major military force in that neighborhood....but For most nations with powerful armed forces, it's mainly a matter of having the most formidable military force in the neighborhood.

so post your opinion...
    Last edited by unKnownWarrior; September 27, 2005 at 02:25 AM.

id vote usa because they have the best combination of technology, training, manpower, and spending than any other country. Israel is a close second as their training and soldiers are as good as anybody elses, but they dont have the manpower and cant spend as much as the US. China is number 3 with they unlimited supply of manpower, and they are getting better technology, and can spend alot.

If the US and China fought however, no one would win, they couldnt invade the US and the US couldnt invade china.
    "Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters." - Alexander the Great
    "I begin by taking. I shall find scholars later to demonstrate my perfect right." - Frederick (II) the Great
    "Strike an enemy once and for all. Let him cease to exist as a tribe or he will live to fly in your throat again" -Shaka, King of the Zulu
    TRU

Redfoxx's Avatar Miles

Default rzza

I said U.S. only because our tech is top knotch along with trainging and manpower (as tru 1 said)
    i put chinda and Israel tie because china is starting to up their arsenal a little more so in some years they'll probably be pretty good, but Israel has superb training and some good tech.
    "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?"

Another "best" thread... where's the "Gah" option? Oh, I forgot, this is not the .org

Whatever, my take is that the best army, relative to it's size, efficiency, firepower and problems to deal with, is the Israeli. Tiny army, compared to USA and the other "big guys", but can take on much bigger guys by itself. High degree of professionalism, the best training all around, and they got broads too )
    Too bad it is mostly used to oppress and terrorize a homeless nation... But then, again, most "good armies" of today are used as an instrument of oppression and terrorism - see the US armed forces for the most prominent example.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

The Greek Army of course. We never lost a battle in the past 60 years.

I doubt its Sweden...
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

There, alas, can only be one answer America.

It has a large army that is:
    - technically superior to any other
    - better trained than most
    - has the reach that no other army has (via the Navy)

Man for man, the Isrealis are probably the best due to the experience that they have recieved. Brtish are probably ahead also... Niether is ahead overall, though. The one achilles heel that the american military does have, though, is that the general populace does not tolerate losses particularly well. Whilst the Army might be resiliant, it's a bit pointless when the war is lost at home... This is something that Britain and Isreal win aswell...

I find it interesting that Britain hasn't been included as it has one of the best logistic support systems around and is one of the very few countries that can conduct substantive operations in foreign soil. How many armies can get to a point several thousands of miles away? I'm thinking of the Falklands, here... Iraq as well, come to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    The Greek Army of course. We never lost a battle in the past 60 years.
    What about the Swiss? They've an amazing record for many centuries, not decades...
    Last edited by imb39; September 27, 2005 at 04:33 AM.

Kor Khan's Avatar Semisalis

USA, for reasons stated above. Although Chinas army is bigger, and it has the potential to improve it's training and technology.

For training, I'd say Japanese, British or maybe Israeli. Although IMO, Israel's army was so efficient against the Arab states not only because of good training, but because it was extremely motivated and well-organized compared to the opposing armies.

Swiss?
    I don't think so! Believe me, I'm from Switzerland .

IDF. 'Nuff said. No discussion possible.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Are Iran India and China just fillers? The UK and France all have better armies then them!

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by imb39
    What about the Swiss? They've an amazing record for many centuries, not decades...

What about Sweden we have not lost a war for 200+ years!!!

No i suppose US has the overal best army in the world. But hey things can change in the future.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

Major König's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Maethius
    You have not been involved in a war for 200 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Maethius
    In that case, Swiss has the best army.

Republica Dominica! :laughing:

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

I would say the US army. If you want to talk about overall performance and abilities then that's the army to choose. I think Israel is an excellent choice as well. The only problem is that we haven't really seen the Russian or Chinese armies in action to make "in the field" decisions.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

i'd definetly say American overall. Although it might not be quite as well trained as other smaller armies (i don't know enough to say for sure, correct if its bog standard troop is equal to a british or Israili...), but is certainly well trained compared to most of the world. Its also big - although, again, maybe not as big as other armies in the world. thirdly it has some of the best tech in the world. I don't see how anyone can say another army surpasses that of the U.S army overall - if an army surpasses them on one front, the Americans tend to butcher the on at least one of the other two.

*edit* i voted other for Britain in protest for it not being on the list

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Let me put it this way. If an opposing army engages in battle against the US military using traditional warfare (no suicide bombings, etc.) then they will most likely be cut down fairly quickly and efficiently will minimal losses to American personel.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Quote Originally Posted by unKnownWarrior
    well i know most of you guys are going to say U.S.A. because of technology and stuff...but gimme your opinion why they are the best...

well my pick is USA because of the technology and how much our country puts money in our military and how powerful our country is...also only the United States is capable of quickly moving lots of combat power to anywhere on the planet.... the United States can put enough combat power just about anywhere, and become the major military force in that neighborhood....but For most nations with powerful armed forces, it's mainly a matter of having the most formidable military force in the neighborhood.

so post your opinion...
    I would add that the United States Armed Forces are gaining a sense of pride and esprit d'corps, since it went all volunteer. Add to this probably more battle experience than any other national military, along with the raw power and technology, and you have probably the most potent military force in world history ...

... until the next one comes along!

In the 1970's and 80's, I would have said the Israeli Defense Force. However, the Intifada has taken a terrible toll on the internal unity of Israel and IDF morale. But they still have to be taken seriously by every military in the region, as Iran may soon discover.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

USA, though the other powers excell in certain areas- china for pure numbers, russia for kooky technology, germany for it's tanks, UK for it's Great Navy, or israel for it's damn good pilots- the USA military uses a combonation of good stuff, and finds an equilibrium that makes it the best, overall.

[Patriot on] Iceland! [Patriot off]
    No wait, we don't even have an army..

Whatever, my take is that the best army, relative to it's size, efficiency, firepower and problems to deal with, is the Israeli. Tiny army, compared to USA and the other "big guys", but can take on much bigger guys by itself. High degree of professionalism, the best training all around, and they got broads too )
    What about Iceland.. we "won" the Cod "War" agains Britain

Anyway, like most think, then i say USA, but that could change in the next 50 years...
    Ever had Problems when trying to find some good sites about a special period in history on Google?
    Then try looking if the site you need is in Links to History.

Page 1 of 57 12345678910112651 ... LastLast