Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Features for next Aristeia release

Default Features for next Aristeia release

I have taken a note of the bugs and hope to fix all which are fixable for the next patch or release of Aristeia. I thought it would also be a good idea to ask people what features they would like to see in the next release. Obviously we want to keep the mod within certain parameters and will also be limited by the number of man hours we can spend on it, but if there are some useful features which are not too difficult to implement we shall consider them. Some people have alluded to some in various topics, however I thought I should create this thread as a centralised area to post them.

If you are thinking about posting any ridiculous features, be aware of the ridicule thread lol. Also please don't post about bugs here, I have already taken note of them in the bugs thread.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: Features for next Aristeia release

Perhaps an optional script, that kills the according heroes to the right date along Homer's tales.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

The Spaniard's Avatar Civis

Yeah I agree with ROFL Copter, the only thing I can think of that would be a nice addition would be some "Historical Battle(s)" scenarios like the Seven Against Thebes.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    If you fix many of the bugs that there are, especially the fact that heroes dont collect armor and dont seem to get traits, it would be better than any crap you can add.
    ... not very kind to call possible features "crap".
    And why mentioning bugs here, where the mod makers ask for feature ideas?
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Maybe tweak the trait/ancillary trigger percentages, population growth rates, and lengthen the time and cost of construction buildings to better fit a 6 turn per year time period?

1) Some of the Trojan heroes that are Priam's sons in the Iliad are not in the family tree. Could that be fixed please? Also, is Helen married to Menelaos? (cause she's not with Paris!)

2) I haven't found any of the easter eggs, but was delighted to read about the discovered one (you know, it's in the thread). Maybe some more of those if feasible?

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God
    1) Some of the Trojan heroes that are Priam's sons in the Iliad are not in the family tree. Could that be fixed please? Also, is Helen married to Menelaos?
    No. The game is hard-coded so that family trees can only start off with four sons for each individual father. In fact, there are forty-six Trojan heroes who are not in the family tree as a result of this. It can't be helped.

We should look into the implementation of Helen, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci
    Perhaps an optional script, that kills the according heroes to the right date along Homer's tales.
    Not a chance! Can you imagine the reaction we'd get from fans when their heroes startied dying for no apparent in-game reason? I don't think that anyone would actually want to install that script, so I don't think that it's worth spending time implementing it. One of the charms about a mod like Aristeia (or any mod, really) is that you can play out a story along your own lines and try to end it the way you want to.
    Last edited by Zenith Darksea; February 28, 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Are Hektor and Achilles able to start with kids? Astynax and Neop . . . thingy?

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Astyanax and Neoptolemos, you mean? Well, yes, I suppose they probably could and should. Though Greek mythology is extremely hazy on exactly when Neoptolemos was born.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    Not a chance! Can you imagine the reaction we'd get from fans when their heroes startied dying for no apparent in-game reason? I don't think that anyone would actually want to install that script, so I don't think that it's worth spending time implementing it. One of the charms about a mod like Aristeia (or any mod, really) is that you can play out a story along your own lines and try to end it the way you want to.
    I expected such a reply

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    Astyanax and Neoptolemos, you mean? Well, yes, I suppose they probably could and should. Though Greek mythology is extremely hazy on exactly when Neoptolemos was born.
    Those are the ones can't open wikipedia at work (Probably shouldn't even be on here?) Thats true. I always assumed he was born while Achilles was on Skyros with all those women? So it is possible for Heroes to have infants? Thats cool

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wasn't Iphigeneia sacrificed to Artemis or something? Should she be on the Atreus family tree at all?

Now more along the lines of features to be added, how about making the Lesser Realms (rebel) faction playable in custom battles?

The Spaniard's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolos View Post
    Those are the ones can't open wikipedia at work (Probably shouldn't even be on here?) Thats true. I always assumed he was born while Achilles was on Skyros with all those women? So it is possible for Heroes to have infants? Thats cool
    Then that throws in to question the age of Achilles at the time of impregnating Deidamia. The relative ages of the heroes is something that has been frustrating me for a while.

Not a gameplay change, but merely a visual one: a different melee weapon for warriors from the lower social strata, doesn't feel right to have even the most base skirmishers and rabble wielding (quality, and fairly large) swords at that. An assortment of daggers and hatchets strikes me as much more feasible, and I don't think it'd take away from the heroic and epic (as cheapened by over-use as that word is, it's a very fitting description for the atmosphere of this great mod) feel.

Many of the units use clubs. Only the more elite archers and javelin units have swords.

Any more Easter eggs you can fit in would be good. Although, most of the coolest monsters and such are dead by the time of the Trojan War, or don't fit on the map. Any mythology at all that you can cram in would be fun - either in historical battle form, or on the map.
    Lapiths vs (the possibly unmodellable) centaurs would be good to see, or the Seven/the Epigonoi against Thebes, the first Trojan siege, any hero worth his salt vs the Amazons (Theseus, Bellerophon, Heracles, Pirithous,) etc.

I'd also love to see Memnon turn up, although I'm not sure many others would be particularly in favour, so it might not be worth the effort.

Your aristeia conditions are pretty stringent also, so if you could include some sop for those of us whose heroes aren't that special, twould be appreciated. It's the taking part that counts, after all.
    I'm thinking Thersites the "I-suppose-you-wouldn't-call-him-weak-greaved" or "the apprentice of the war-cry" or maybe the "semi-demi-godlike, in poor light ,if you squint a little (and you're drunk)". Perhaps "of the occasionally-glinting-but-could-still-use-a-bit-of-polish-helmet"

I'm sure you can come up with more. In fact, any new traits and epithets you can think to throw in would be cool: I really love the traits in this mod.

Hrmm... clubs, you say. My apologies, it seems like I jumped to a hasty conclusion after seeing some units where I wouldn't have expected it (some Toxotai, and most noticeably Kikones Akontistai) draw large swords, and assumed you hadn't paid sufficient attention to secondary weapons. Sorry about that.

Heroes add an interesting element to the battles, and are a key feature of the mod, so I doubt they'll go back to the way they were in TTW...

Most/many of the starting heroes have good to excellent command stats and attributes already, so they'll make a huge difference in fights against armies without similarly powerful leaders, but so would any other general unit with those stats...

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Try focusing more on gameplay! I understand that this mod is focused on the heroes of the ancient world but the armies depend too much on them! It ruins gameplay! I think heroes with bodyguards is better... I know that in ancient times heroes fought each other and stuff but this is my oppinon...

Maybe some of the fans don't like the fact that the game is so dark... you could make a patch with better lighting (I understand that you like it the way it is but I thought you made this mod to be released and played by the fans and not only for you The green square that appears when selecting units is usefull as well, it makes strategy easier. In this version I never know what units I have selected...

I like it very much... it has great potential! units are unique and so is the music!
    Good luck on the final release!

I appologise if my oppinions differ from yours...
    It seems you would be better off playing a different mod. Aristeia is going to remain dark and it is going to continue to have heroes. That is the whole point of the mod (hence the title). You are the only person to complain about the lighting conditions, perhaps your monitor is somewhat darker than average?

Collisions between weapons and shield are unavoidable with the heroes given the animations which are required for them to work. This is such a tiny issue though - and is one I ask people not to whine about. Sorry but these posts break the rules and will be moved to the ridicule thread.

It is fine for you to have your opinion, but not to spam it across the forums in three different topics. It seems you misunderstand the premise of the mod.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; March 01, 2010 at 11:24 AM.

Patrician Artifex

In relation to my (personal) observations of a quite too easy win vs. Troya, i would try to realise some extra defence boni for the Dardeia faction. However, this only if i'm not the only one who finds the victory over Troya happens too quick (even when i chose Peleus, and made a passive play: as far as possible i haven't engaged into battles vs. Dardeia and its allies). Imo. it should be possible, that one can build (20 turns) the troyan horse feature and use it to go into Troya

DaVinci - I think a lot hinges on the actions of the Atreids and Neleids. In my game, my opening battle dragged Ithaca, Salamis and Phthia into the fray, but the Neleids sat out the fight completely, whilst the Atreids happened to lose the 50/50 tussle to the north. Then the Neleids turned on me (Argos) - bringing about their swift destruction - whilst the Atreids' force was too crippled for them to dare to leave camp. This allowed the Trojans to concentrate their forces on Ithaca and Salamis - whose remaining units fled to sea. Phthia has Achilles sulking in camp, and maybe half a stack to go with that.

The Trojans were thus in a great position, but Troilus' army was almost completely destroyed besieging the rebel (formerly Neleid) camp - so things are up in the air.

However, if the Neleids had felt like getting involved in the early skirmishes, instead of retreating, and the Atreids had won the 50/50 toss-up against Helenus/Hector et al to the North, I might have seen Troy immediately destroyed. It all varies from game to game.

It's not that one side wins too easily - it's that the outcome of the war rests hugely on the first round of battles.

Incidentally, my Trojan horse, which I've already once had to cancel when half-built (the Neleids attacked), is almost complete, and Troy still stands independent. Paris, Hector, Penthesileia and Priam (and possibly Helenus) still live, and the Maiones are looking very ominous (though they may turn on Lycia, instead of on the Greeks).

Start a few new games, until you find a scenario you like.
    Last edited by Dekker; March 01, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Probably not the place to post this - apologies.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast