Page 9 of 208 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

I am almost certain that even SWTOR will end up calling for players to go through the regular grind. The only way it can be interesting is if it feels unique each time, if you actually feel involved in the quest.

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well star wars has if not the most varied species, ships and weapons in the entire world.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

http://darthhater.com/
    i recommend you check it out for news on SWTOR. I work there

If you have any questions about the game I might be able to answer(due to information that has been released etc)
    You look great today.

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

Two of the innovations that Bioware has implemented over the last several games that I have liked the most are the dialog wheel and enemies that scale with you.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
    Two of the innovations that Bioware has implemented over the last several games that I have liked the most are the dialog wheel and enemies that scale with you.
    Bioware did managed to implement the whole scale up thing very well something Bethesda did not do in Oblivion. Of course Bioware went with the "make the enemies hard from the start and they will remain so" route with it.
    But it will be interesting if they will do the same with TOR or if they will go with the standard levels system.
    In a way I like the level system in MMOs since you can go back to old areas and just enjoy the area without getting attacked. But I wouldn't mind them trying to rock the boat, they did do it very well in Dragon Age.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Bioware did managed to implement the whole scale up thing very well something Bethesda did not do in Oblivion. Of course Bioware went with the "make the enemies hard from the start and they will remain so" route with it.
    But it will be interesting if they will do the same with TOR or if they will go with the standard levels system.
    In a way I like the level system in MMOs since you can go back to old areas and just enjoy the area without getting attacked. But I wouldn't mind them trying to rock the boat, they did do it very well in Dragon Age.
    It really depends on how they implement it. High-end gear could circumvent a NG+ in ME 1 quite easily, but didn't seem to make much difference in ME 2. At least that I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
    It really depends on how they implement it. High-end gear could circumvent a NG+ in ME 1 quite easily, but didn't seem to make much difference in ME 2. At least that I noticed.
    Well time will tell.
    But frankly I think they need to worry more about getting the dialogue options to be as deep as we have come to expect from Bioware.
    That's afterall the main charm that sets TOR apart from other MMOs,even tho Age of Conan did try it but it was very shallow. Only came up like once or twice during the entire game and all you got was a extra quest.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Well time will tell.
    But frankly I think they need to worry more about getting the dialogue options to be as deep as we have come to expect from Bioware.
    That's afterall the main charm that sets TOR apart from other MMOs,even tho Age of Conan did try it but it was very shallow. Only came up like once or twice during the entire game and all you got was a extra quest.
    Agreed. A fully VA'd MMO should be something.....

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    Well star wars has if not the most varied species, ships and weapons in the entire world.
    Too bad most of it is lame as , lol.

I disagree.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Star wars has some interesting weapons, species and technology designs.

The Lightsaber is still pretty much the only sci-fi melee weapon that makes sense.

One of the things I like most about the movies are the many different species that are simply in the background, a lot of them you wont notice untill you have seen the movie several times. With pretty much any other Sci-fi setting any alien species would be the center of attention where it are just background figures in star wars.

I do hope that in time Bioware will try to put many species into KOTOR online, at first probably mostly the most well known species such as humans, Twi'leks, Rodians, Zabraks, Trandoshans and such, but I would certainly love to see many of those cool races that you only see in the background. I looked at the online databank once and there sure is a lot of stuff to work with.

I dont know all the names, but I certainly would like to see Kel-Dor, Kit Fisto's race and wookies as playable species.

Wookies should be able to wear some stuff though, it should just look different on them. A robe could just become a cloth sash, plate armor could become two crossed metal sashes kind of like chewbacca has but with some shoulderpads and such. Visors could also be worn.

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

In Star Wars there are many aliens because...they're a bunch on nobodies. There's no moral/cultural distinction between a human or a twilek. All of them are the same, they act the same, nothing special. That's why they're all in the background. And don't tell me to read the books, this is how it has been in the movies since forever.
    No.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Razvus View Post
    In Star Wars there are many aliens because...they're a bunch on nobodies. There's no moral/cultural distinction between a human or a twilek. All of them are the same, they act the same, nothing special. That's why they're all in the background. And don't tell me to read the books, this is how it has been in the movies since forever.
    How many twileks have speaking parts in the movies? The only one I know is Bib Fortuna (Jabba's right hand man). Hardly enough to make a conclusive statement as to their culture.

Oh and maybe you could count the one slave screaming as she was dragged to her death in Jabba's palace.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

there's the freaky-head jedi dude that dies on the bridge in ep 3...and then there is....uh. See what I mean?! Racists! it's all about humans.
    No.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

That's probably only due to technology issues or too much money. I'm sure its far cheaper not to mention easier to have humans do all the close up and speaking parts than so many aliens where you would have to make a different costume for each one and all sorts of stuff.

In the newer ones (with more of a budget and better technologies) Aliens played a more prominant role than 4, 5, and 6. and Also in the games like KotOR.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Yeah but the aliens were one of the most annoying aspects of the KOTOR games since they kept saying the same 2 lines over and over again.

Yeah but that was years ago and I do remember bioware stating on there site that this required something like 4000+ voice actors.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Some aliens do have prominent roles, sadly Jar Jar Binks is amongst them.

But lets not forget Chewbacca, Yoda, that red froglike rebel commander, Bib Fortuna, Watto, Jabba the Hutt, Viceroy Nute Gunray, Darth Maul and I might still be missing a few.

I do agree though that more prominent roles for aliens could be rather welcome. Obi-Wan could have had an alien master for example, and more jedi council members could have been given a speaking part instead of just watching.

But I guess that might have something to do with actors prefering to be recognized, and the mainstream audience needing humans to be able to connect with them.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I checked the last 2 pages so I don't know if this has been posted, but the timeline videos are pretty interesting.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/timeline
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

That's cool.

Filthy Siths. They stole it from us.

This is actually my first reply here. Haven't followed this much I admit.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"