Page 7 of 208 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    In what way was it touched upon I mean.
    It was mentioned that the builders of the star forge were meddling in atmospheric tech and it is possible that when their empire collapsed due to a virus that the tech could no longer be sufficient and the result was a one atmospheric world.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ravenous View Post
    It was mentioned that the builders of the star forge were meddling in atmospheric tech and it is possible that when their empire collapsed due to a virus that the tech could no longer be sufficient and the result was a one atmospheric world.
    ...ah, see, this is why I don't want to involve myself in the EU.

It was also mentioned in KOTOR, if you don't choose to believe in the EU.

Comes Domesticorum

Well it's been a really long time since I played KotOR, so I don't really remember much from it.

Ah well there you go.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Yeah probably it will be very buggy, most games today are buggy on release especially MMOs

EDIT: What is the EU and what do you mean by one climte planets?
    Last edited by Nole4694; April 04, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post
    Yeah probably it will be very buggy, most games today are buggy on release especially MMOs

EU=Extended Universe
    And one climate planet is where the entire planet is 1 climate unlike for example Earth where we have several climates in one planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nole4694 View Post

Tatooine, Kamino, Hoth and Coruscant are all one climate planets.

Nole4694's Avatar Procrastination Power!

Ah, got it.
    God Save The King
    Gosse Durrant - Baron of Huntington - 24

Former contributor to the
    Go on! Take a look at their latest issue!

Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Expect it's from 2008 and almost all points have been proven false now.

PSN is free, with 20+ million users
    PSN will soon get subscriptions
    Also, games like MAG will have 250 players online in the same instance, FPS style. Quite the technical display.
    And considering the graphics and special effects were quite bad and still it had poor frame-rate from time to time defeats that point.
    PS3 is a proven MMO-running machine: Home is up (with 4 million users), FF XI, with many more on the way (some 2009); FF XIV, The Agency, DC Universe Online, LOTRO, Guild Wars, Star Trek Online, Free Realms, Champions Online, Everquest, Warhammer Online (under consideration), Uncharted Waters Online, and more.
    Home is a heavily instanced social space, not a MMO and hope Bioware will stay the hell away from such a concept.
    And most of those MMOs have been confirmed that the console ports have been either been cancelled because they couldn't get it to work or that it was just a rumour that turned out to be false.

New PC MMO's are all failing. Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Tabula Rasa are all getting server merges, laying off support personnel, and/or outright shutting down. Something needs to change, and it's hard to know if this new 'story driven' approach (as great as it sounds) will be enough.
    Looking WoW prove that statement false.
    And most MMOs aren't doing very well because they are rushed out with huge bugs and little content.
    And only 2 MMOs in recent years has shut down, Matrix Online and Tabula Rasa and they failed because of publishers ignoring them, leaving them dead in the water which is a death sentence for any MMO.

75% of gamers do not have a gaming quality PC, 25% feeling they are too expensive.
    No evidence to support that claim besides a bad poll.
    Star Wars is more at home on consoles. The Force Unleashed never saw a PC release. Consoles are where the Star Wars fans are.
    FU was released on PC and if Bioware want to go after a certain fanbase then they should go after the SWG crowd which are PC.

Speaking of story driven, this game sounds very much like the single player experiences of the KOTOR games. Console gamers love KOTOR, and would undoubtedly love this on their console.
    Silly argument since KOTOR sold just as well on PC.

Much harder to hack, mod, use third party programs on a console.
    HA!!
    Anyone caught using 3rd party programs, hacking or modding(that aren't illegal) are banned.
    Some MMOs do allow modding, WoW for example or Fallen Earth.

Perceived PC price is much higher than console price. In these economically turbulent times, people want a bargain, especially on entertainment. Most people believe it costs a lot to upgrade your PC to a level that would make this game enjoyable. IE - not all graphics options turned off. Consoles are relatively inexpensive and easy to understand to the average consumer. People are gaming a lot more on their consoles right now. Bioware should think seriously about this.
    Looking at the screenshots I don't think this game will require a powerhouse computer and anything mid-range will do just fine.

Play with your console gaming friends. A short statement but a huge advantage to many.
    And PC gamers don't have friends ?
    Short statement that is stupid.

Many people prefer console controllers over keyboard/mouse. If this game uses an 8-skill system like Guild Wars, it would map nicely to any console controller.
    And Dragon Age showed that statement to be completely false since not only did the console players get a lesser control scheme, Bioware had to reduce the difficulty level because the controller added a huge handicap.
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; April 05, 2010 at 12:40 PM.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Most of your counter statements make no sense at all. But I don't want this to turn into a PC/console war thread, so I won't reply.

It would be nice to not have this as an exclusive though, and let people choose what console to play it on. The originals were on Xbox, so it would make sense and it able to be done.

I find exclusives idiotic.

And the thread itself was made in '08, but posts are still being put up there. The topic is almost on its 5th full topic, each has like 150 pages. So obviously, there are a lot of people who agree with me.
    Last edited by Rebel Jeb; April 06, 2010 at 07:07 AM.

Most of your counter statements make no sense at all. But I don't want this to turn into a PC/console war thread, so I won't reply.
    Then why bother posting the link in the first place ?
    If you have no intention on starting the debate, then don't start it.

It would be nice to not have this as an exclusive though, and let people choose what console to play it on. The originals were on Xbox, so it would make sense and it able to be done.
    Different game, different type of game.

And the thread itself was made in '08, but posts are still being put up there. The topic is almost on its 5th full topic, each has like 150 pages. So obviously, there are a lot of people who agree with me.
    Let's see, that thread in question died in 2009 and I have checked the last 11 pages on the forums and not one thread is about consoles.
    And I read the 400 pages of the first thread and everyone seems to agree that TOR would be terrible on consoles and the OP never made any points to sell his position besides bringing up PC MMOs that were suppose to come on console but recently all of them are cancelled since the developers couldn't get it to work.

I find exclusives idiotic.

All of them made sense, many of the arguments made no sense however. It's hard to be sensible when the arguments that is put forth makes no sense.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Then why bother posting the link in the first place ?
    If you have no intention on starting the debate, then don't start it.
    Console Vs PC is a different debate than 'Should SWTOR be an exclusive?'...

If you want to argue about it, I'll gladly post responses to your links in a private message or on a profile conversation, where it clutters up the thread less.

All of them made sense, many of the arguments made no sense however. It's hard to be sensible when the arguments that is put forth makes no sense.
    Really? no.

Let's see, that thread in question died in 2009 and I have checked the last 11 pages on the forums and not one thread is about consoles.
    No...No it didn't.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=90443

Its also listed under most talked about threads.

Nice try though, you obviously haven't looked hard enough. Last post was....oh look, today. Your years are a little off, you realize that it is 2010, right?

And there are a lot more pages than 400.

Last post 06.17.2009 page 461.
    And not until page 17 on the general discussion forum does another console thread come up and the gist of that thread is that it's a dead horse and people should stop beating it since Bioware has stated clearly that TOR will not come out on consoles.

Edit: oh I see, it's moved on to the Off-topic discussions, well that funny.
    Just shows that Console discussion is actually consider off-topic when it comes to the game.
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; April 06, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Last post 06.17.2009 page 461.
    And not until page 17 on the general discussion forum does another console thread come up and the gist of that thread is that it's a dead horse and people should stop beating it since Bioware has stated clearly that TOR will not come out on consoles.
    You just proved you didn't read a thing I said in the before posts. Click the link. That's PART 1.

As in...

THERE ARE MORE PARTS

In this case, there are four. Click the link I posted above, to go to part 4, which has posts from today.

Understand now?

Check my edit
    And again, you are defeating your own point since the majority are against putting the game on consoles and any example that has been put forward as an example to show that it can work has been debunked, only example is FFXI and it wasn't that good because of the consoles.

But the overall console argument is "but but it's not fair", well tough luck.

Edit: to put it nicely when someone asked why there was a need for a part 4 ?
    The same reason we need a support for it on mac thread. To keep all the nut jobs in one place and to avoid littering up the rest of the forum with 200 seperate threads about it.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

The originals were on Xbox, so it would make sense and it able to be done.
    And on PC.
    Plus the originals aren't originals of SWTOR. It's a new game that's only loosely linked with KOTOR, as in it plays out in the some rough era.

SWTOR isn't a direct sequel to KOTOR, no more than Jedi Knight (II) and Academy were sequels to The Force Unleashed .

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

But the overall console argument is "but but it's not fair", well tough luck.
    Not exactly. Honestly, I think Xbox gets better exclusives. Halo, GoW, non-terrible MW2. If anything, its tough luck on the PC, which has a terrible amount of games.

Its not that it isn't fair, its that it would be better for all if every game was released on every platform that it was able to. I honestly don't see how someone could disagree with that.

And on PC.
    You're point?

Plus the originals aren't originals of SWTOR. It's a new game that's only loosely linked with KOTOR, as in it plays out in the some rough era.

SWTOR isn't a direct sequel to KOTOR
    Yeah, they are. Not directly, but they're sequels.

Check my edit
    And again, you are defeating your own point since the majority are against putting the game on consoles and any example that has been put forward as an example to show that it can work has been debunked, only example is FFXI and it wasn't that good because of the consoles.
    Please prove it? As far as I see, the majority of gamers play console games, so a majority would probably want this on a console.
    Edit: to put it nicely when someone asked why there was a need for a part 4 ?
    The problem is, they do that with a lot of threads.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=7379

Do you find all of those useless also?

I sure don't. Continue trying to find ways to get around it. It's amusing.