Page 4 of 208 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Considering how Bioware has creative goals they want to achieve with their games aside making money which seems to be the only purpose of Blizzard, I would think that they could be far more succesfull.

The thing is, Bioware probably wont aim to make the game an addiction. They will actually just try to entertain players instead of creating some sick addiction that has many house wives and little kids hooked. They might actually aim to make it something of a challenge.

Comes Domesticorum

Right, it's Blizz's fault people get hooked on WoW.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Razvus View Post
    Other than Wow, there is no other mmo out there with such a large fan-base, right? Plus the immense hype about the Bioware "gods" working on the game.

this alone is enough to cause a wave or two. after that, yea. who knows. total fail maybe.
    Well Star Trek Online could have pulled it off but sadly it was a rushed piece of crap made by developers that don't have the skill or the time to make something deep enough and a publisher that is only interested in short-term profits which is something that don't work with MMOs.
    MMOs are in general quite expensive to make and to keep running and of course, the MMO crowd demands constant updates to keep the game going which also costs money.
    So any company that goes into the MMO market has to be prepared to be there for the long haul.
    WoW is what 5 years old ? And this is despite a bad start.
    Compare this to say Tabula Rasa or Matrix Online, especially Tabula Rasa, a game where they did very little after release work. Don't think was ever a content patch during it's short lifespan.
    NCsoft treated it as a short-term profit thinking the initial sales would be enough but it wasn't. They never gave any money to help make more content and add features so people quickly got tired and moved to another MMO.
    So there they were with a MMO that was far too expensive to keep running.

Eve Online is 7 years old and despite poor reviews it is still here and becoming more popular despite it's very unique gamestyle and harsh world.
    So again, Bioware needs to stay with it.

The thing is, Bioware probably wont aim to make the game an addiction. They will actually just try to entertain players instead of creating some sick addiction that has many house wives and little kids hooked. They might actually aim to make it something of a challenge.
    Wouldn't say that.
    Dragon Age and Mass Effect was very addictive.
    You should never aim to make a addictive game since well it will probably backfire and annoy people.
    You should just make a fun and immersive game and if there is plenty of things to do then people will stay and maybe even become addictive.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Bioware sucks ass on gameplay though, best story, best rpg, but gameplay? Buildup? PVP? No, they will fail. Unless they get help from some pr0's all around of EA.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Darth Ravenous's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Habelo View Post
    Bioware sucks ass on gameplay though, best story, best rpg, but gameplay? Buildup? PVP? No, they will fail. Unless they get help from some pr0's all around of EA.
    ...Habelo I no longer respect you as a human being. Thats how false what you just said is...
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

How could you have ever respected habelo?

All he does is make inflammatory posts and troll.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

Such are the questions that linger at the back of my mind, never answered.

But seriously if Biowarehas done one thing it is earn my trust. No, and I mean NO, game developer has produced as may games that I view as gold with such a low rate of baddies. I am 100% on board with SWTOR. Why everyone else isn't is beyond me.
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by RVFVS View Post
    I am 100% on board with SWTOR. Why everyone else isn't is beyond me.
    1. Not everyone likes MMOs.
    2. Not everyone likes the crappy cartoony graphics.
    3. For those that were waiting for the next KOTOR, TOR was a kick in the nuts.
    My pony jumps ever so high

Quote Originally Posted by blank View Post
    1. Not everyone likes MMOs.
    And a very fair point
    2. Not everyone likes the crappy cartoony graphics.
    Not that the original KOTOR games had very realistic looking graphics tho, they were quite cartoony as well
    3. For those that were waiting for the next KOTOR, TOR was a kick in the nuts.
    Not really. I have seen quite alot of KOTOR fans wanting it to be a MMO or atleast a multiplayer game with some sort of co-op.
    And if the gameplay is the same or maybe even better then previous KOTOR games then would ToR be exactly what you want ?
    It's just gonna be bigger in scale.

blank's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Not that the original KOTOR games had very realistic looking graphics tho, they were quite cartoony as well
    It's not 2003 anymore...
    Not really. I have seen quite alot of KOTOR fans wanting it to be a MMO or atleast a multiplayer game with some sort of co-op.
    For every single-player game there's some group of people that want a multiplayer mode slapped onto it, whether it's really needed or not. From what i've seen though, the great majority of KOTOR players did not want it to become an MP game.
    And if the gameplay is the same or maybe even better then previous KOTOR games then would ToR be exactly what you want ?
    It's just gonna be bigger in scale.
    I'm not at all convinced that TOR will deliver a story experience as a good as a single-player game would. If it does, then great, i'm just sceptical about it. The prospect of paying a per-month fee isn't very appealing either, i'm strapped for cash as it is.
    My pony jumps ever so high

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

It's not 2003 anymore...
    I'm ok with dated or "cartoony" graphics (I don't really know if I'd call what we've seen thus far "cartoony") if only because it's dawned on me that I might not be able to run the game if it's too too up to date

I think the wake up call was using that "can you run it" site for STO and realizing how inadequate my rig is. I mean, well, not THAT inadequate, but still unable to run STO...

That said I'll probably give this a shot. I haven't played an MMO since planetside, though. And how freaking epic was that game?

It's not 2003 anymore...
    So ?
    Look at TF2, Borderlands, Valkyrie Chronicles.
    The cartoon style hasn't gone out of style and is still good looking if done right and from what I have seen from screenshots TOR looks good.
    Now turn the looking glass and look at AoC, probably the best looking MMO around right now.
    The areas are small, few people can be in each area and very few people can run it on Very high.
    A MMO gets it's charm from being big, large areas with lots of people in them.
    You can't have crysis graphics and have 10000s of people in a large areas so something has to give.
    Either removing the scale or altering the graphics so it eases the load.

I'm not at all convinced that TOR will deliver a story experience as a good as a single-player game would. If it does, then great, i'm just sceptical about it. The prospect of paying a per-month fee isn't very appealing either, i'm strapped for cash as it is.
    For that we will wait and see.
    If Bioware can deliver the same story telling/choice system from the first game then TOR future is looking very very bright.
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; April 02, 2010 at 07:39 AM.

Hotspur's Avatar I've got reach.
    Patrician

I suspect the cartoon-y style has less to do with Bioware and more to do with LucasArts - look at the art style of The Clone Wars.

Adrian's Avatar Campidoctor

TOR is the first MMO I will play just to know wtf happened to Revan and the Exile I don't care if its 100$ I have to play and see it myself.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    TOR is the first MMO I will play just to know wtf happened to Revan and the Exile I don't care if its 100$ I have to play and see it myself.
    We already know that Bastila had at least one child....

Adrian's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
    We already know that Bastila had at least one child....

With female Revan lol ?

But this is the force everything is acceptable my cannon Revan is female .

Fem Revan seems more bad ass that the usual male "dark lord".

And now serious where did you read that comics ? give me the name if it was comics pls

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    With female Revan lol ?

But this is the force everything is acceptable my cannon Revan is female .

Fem Revan seems more bad ass that the usual male "dark lord".

And now serious where did you read that comics ? give me the name if it was comics pls
    http://www.swtor.com/media/webcomic

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

haha you still pissed off that i pwn you in every conversation you make? ;P

And srsly, we all *know* deep inside that nothing will ever replace wow, we want something to replace it, but no game will become massive enough to replace it. If not blizz wants it to happen.
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Comes Domesticorum

Man that is a terrible comic.

I mean, I don't read comics, but yeah.