Thread: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Honestly I would not play that since it's set in the new trilogy era which retconned the other stuff that I knew and so I will go into this not having a damn clue.
    Only reason I even played this MMO was because it was set in my favourite period and I knew enough about KOTOR 1 and 2 going in that I gave a crap.
    Kind of funny that this game was put out during the dark times of Bioware when everyone was pissed off at them for things like Mass Effect 3 or Dragon Age 2. Aside from releasing Dragon Age Inquisition the people at Bioware have done more or less jack since Mass Effect 3. Have they recovered from that? Will they ever recover?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; January 21, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

They won't ever recover I am affraid. Dragon Age Inquisition was still weak compared to their earlier games. Vastly better than Dragon Age 2 so I gues people where willing to settle for less.

But well, as long as they are owned by EA and considering that most of the people who worked on Bioware's best games have left the company including the founders, the company is pretty much just Bioware in name only.

The best direction for Bioware would be to develop a new franchise. That way people will judge it completely on its own merit instead of comparing it to the greater earlier installments made before EA took over.
    A clean slate if you will. Just letting Bioware produce sequels and nothing new is kind of telling about the situation. We are talking about a company that for a while did not want to make sequels because they had so much talent on board that it would be better used developing new franchises.

I'd say that creatively, their golden age started with Neverwinter Nights, went on with KOTOR, Jade empire, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age was the last installment of the golden age.
    I mean, this is FIVE new franchises in a row, with not a single sequel in between. And ALL of them where ground breaking in their own way.
    -Neverwinter Nights is still the game that brings D&D to live like no other game has before or afterwards. It was extremely innovative with its combination of toolset and multiplayer, allowing small scale MMO's to be created.
    -KOTOR was the first star wars game to truly give a cinematic experience, and it had more maturity to it in its dialogue and exploration of light and dark.
    -Jade Empire delved into chinese mythology and created a unique world and setting, an emotional story with a lot of humor to it as well.
    -Mass Effect again was the creation of a unique setting by Bioware, facial expressions reached new heights here and could convey a lot more emotion with subtle facial expressions.
    -Dragon Age also a unique setting made by Bioware, and allowed different origin stories. It has its flaws but still, its yet another new franchise.

And then EA took over and had them produce nothing but sequels and an MMO that takes zero risks and as such could not conquer the market as well as they wished it would.

So yeah, let them develop something new and start fresh. Unless EA has zero faith in the current state of Bioware to be able to pull that off of course.

Patrician

First Bioware game I played was KOTOR way back when at a friends house. Later I played the Obsidian sequel KOTOR 2 which was in all honesty a better game but had serious story and character problems and really strange leaps in logic. Not too long ago I played KOTOR 1 again and finished the game and thought it was pretty awesome.

But my first real encounter with a Bioware game was Dragon Age Origins and I loved this game, one of my absolute favourites. I played that game like 4 times (twice as a Human Mage, once as a Human Noble and once as a Dwarf Noble). Dragon Age 2 was a major disappointment and Dragon Age Inquisition was fun and really good but I'm not sure it was better or as good as Dragon Age Origins. Last week I actually played the Jaws of Hakkon and Trespasser DLC for DAI and they were alright, personally I recommend the Trespasser DLC if you just want to play one, the other aren't really necessary.

These are the only Bioware games that I played, I actually never played Mass Effect.
    Seeing as their next game will be Mass Effect Andromeda and Bioware has stated that they still have enough ideas for two more Dragon Age games (I hope they will continue the Inquisitor story instead of another new character) I'm guessing that their next games will all be sequels for a while (assuming they don't collapse before then).

However I think that the worst thing to come out of Bioware is the indirect creation of the SWTOR Revan book
    I hate that book so much

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

I used to play it for a few months but quit for good because of the following reasons:

1. They announced a new expansion adding yet another lightsaber class/superclass (you know what im talking about, those knights of the fallen empire) and the game had been already INSANELY overpopulated by sith/jedi chars.

2. There's no imperial military, only agents, bounty hunters and sith, which after a while I found to be RIDICULOUS considering that most of the Imperial citizens (lorewise) are soldiers!

3. Even if youre a sub, you still have to pay a lot more for microtransactions if you want to keep customizing your quarters or chars with new stuff.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The "Knights of the Fallen Empire" isn't a class. It's just an extension of the storyline, like Shadow of Revan. No new classes added.

Most people are stopping playing because there's no new content other than a solo story which is barely replayable more than once or twice.

I haven't played SWTOR in about a year now. Mostly due to real life, but also the game got stale after so long and the only thing keeping me around was my guild on Jung Ma. Being a platoon commander with <Alpha Company> offered me something else the game designers couldn't provide alone and kept me around a few years longer.

Today though I am thinking of going back to the game and trying things out. Anyone who still plays able to give me an idea of how it plays compared to when SoR released. That was the last time I played.

Patrician

There have been quite a few changes like companions all do the same stuff. Meaning you can't really customize their stats with equipment, only thing clothes change is appearance. To increase their stats you just need to have high influence and you can change their role from damage, to tank or healing before a battle.
    Getting exp is a lot easier now playing story and PVP though.
    Also each planet has a level cap so all enemies will be below a certain level and you and your companions will be scaled down if you are on a planet.
    Haven't played ops or flashpoints in a while but last time I did they were ridiculously hard.

Though I gotta say that I was sort of indifferent towards Shadow of Revan I greatly enjoy the story and characters of Knights of the Fallen Empire.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Jung Ma is dead, all the PvP servers are. Move your toons to a PvE or RP server. They decreased transfer costs a lot.

Patrician

Are we ever going to get that Wookie from Shadow of Revan in KOTFE? I think Jakarro was his name. I want him as companion dammit!

I only had one character on a PVP server and played for a week. Constantly fighting other people especially when companions were used got annoying and long. I deleted that character a long time ago though.

The PvP servers aren't "dead" (despite me joke about it, or complain when I become nocturnal ), they are just low population compared to the PvE servers (I play on PoT5). PvP queues pop all throughout the day going into the night. People do still do PvE on them, but you won't easily pug a group like Harbinger or something (NA), you'll have to find a guild if you roll on a PvP server for PvE.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; January 25, 2016 at 07:14 AM.

Patrician

Trying to play the Smuggler story and oh my god killing Skavak felt so gooooood!
    A lot of people complain about the Risha/pirate treasure story but honestly that had me the most invested in the story.
    This whole Voidwolf thing is interesting as well but I'm not that far into it. Problem is the game from this point onward becomes so slow to develop the main plot point (in my experience). I'm doing Quesh and it is such a damn grind I almost just want to quit and not play this class anymore since I also hate the way smuggler plays (I'm disheartened knowing that Hoth will be next... and then Voss, oy vey!).

I've already finished Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Jedi Knight class stories but my issue is that Bounty Hunter, Trooper, Agent and Smuggler barely seem relevant to Shadow of Revan and Knights of the Fallen Empire so I have almost no reason to continue those characters into the expansions. However I do think that they are good self contained stories (except Trooper which I did not play at all).

Bounty Hunter for example I thought that Mako could have been more interesting, I could have gone without Skadge (I hate this character on so many levels) and Mandalore the Vindicated as well as your Great Hunt buddies could have done more in the story and much more interaction but I also don't recall why the Republic pegged you with so many crimes that you never did. Going deeper into Mandalorian politics and culture and lore would have been cool too, I really didn't feel like a Mandalorian at any point to be honest despite people calling you a Mandalorian scum etc.
    On the other hand I at least liked the fact that Mako seemed like a major character within this self contained story, I loved Gault Rennow and we definitely need more stuff where he interacts with Hylo Visz and I enjoyed Torian Cadera's self contained planet story which I thought was really intense. Blizz was alright, Jawa companion why not.

Patrician

Seems Quesh and Hoth were alright after all but Belsavis was a snore so I hope Voss will pick up the story (as on Belsavis and return to Hoth it seemed to expand the story a bit). Can't wait to exterminate Rogun the Butcher and do away with the Void Wolf though I'm not sure if I want to do Ilum... or Makeb... or Shadow of Revan and Knights of the Fallen Empire as Smuggler. I mean I will eventually but I want KOTFE to have more chapters before I bother (doesn't really make sense to me to fight Revan and Arcann/Valkorion as a smuggler though). My god do I hate the way Smuggler plays though.

Will the Consular story ever get more interesting/exciting? Playing as a female consular and not only do I hate standing there, cause my lightsaber is useless, clicking "throw rock" and "throw pebbles" but everything is just so dull. Most of the characters seem kind of dull and the fact that I'm a dull boring Jedi isn't exactly stimulating. Though I did like the twist with all the Jedi Masters (those evil bastards ). But the whole idea of facing down some kind of indescribable abstract evil other than the Empire feels kind of unnecessary to what is happening in the setting. I figure my Jedi powers would be put to better use fighting the Emperor. Companions are kind of dull so far as well with Qyzen Fess who is some kind of hunter alien guy who I can't understand and some scientist guy with a hologram girlfriend (Ceran Thedrax, I just looked up his name).

Oh and also other companions like Master Gnost Durall, Shae Viszla, Jakarro, Mandalore the Vindicated and General Var Suthra would be pretty awesome.
    A lot of the random characters you meet on planets seem companion worthy to me.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 04, 2016 at 10:56 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Go Dark Side. Consular is good that way.

IMO Female Shadow is perfect for the KotFE storyline.

Patrician

Then I'd have to do it with another character cause it's sort of late for me now that I'm level 30.

My sage is a healer. I really like the sage healing animations, they look like heals, and are really fluid.

Patrician

The two Consulars I'm playing are female Human sage telekinesis and female Togruta shadow. But how do I play the Dark Side story, was I supposed to click the dark side option on the Rajivari force ghost?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Just choose dark side options. Generically more interesting.

So Chapter 14 is supposed to have an area on Darvannis, and at some point they're adding Bothawui.

Also, KOTOR-style Vibroblades are being released tomorrow!!!

https://torcommunity.com/database/up...1336-4-1-mined

Patrician

Pretty cool, I know in one of these latest chapters that will be released we will get Vette (ing finally), now all I really need is Kira Carsen and Jaesa Willsaam.

I noticed a Kybuck in your link, I need this but I have no idea who to give this mount too.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 08, 2016 at 10:35 PM.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Do i have to become a subscriber again for KotFE chapters? i did all quests including chapter nine.

Patrician

I have no idea. As I posted above I am not a subscriber but somehow I managed to play the previous two chapters.