Thread: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Default Re: Star Wars the Old Republic - Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazovmm View Post
    so what new contents they have now?

I have stopped playing this game since ROTC. Which all in all is a good thing, I spent too much time in those 3 months of sub that i got
    They have new flashpoints that randomly generate boss and mobs. Starship battle that have been posted on this forum personally hated it due most starship can be bought in Cash shops.

I finally re-installed this game after a year or so. I have preferred status which really means nothing since I can't use the high level gear. Once I saw that, I uninstalled and said goodbye. I'll continue playing LoTRO.

If you want to play end game content you best sub..ffs. I thought that was implied.
    What is Free to play is the characters storylines, anyway.

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

Yeah that^^. You can also purchase an artifact unlock through cartel coins in SWTOR while staying F2P and still wear the end game/artifact grade gear. I didn't want to pile on the guy but LoTRo is no angel either. If you're F2P it requires you to purchase turbine points to unlock a couple of the character classes, a mount, max gold cap, storage containers, expansions and more that I can't remember right now... so I don't really see the difference here other than one is a SW universe and the other is a middle earth one.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Red View Post
    Yeah that^^. You can also purchase an artifact unlock through cartel coins in SWTOR while staying F2P and still wear the end game/artifact grade gear. I didn't want to pile on the guy but LoTRo is no angel either. If you're F2P it requires you to purchase turbine points to unlock a couple of the character classes, a mount, max gold cap, storage containers, expansions and more that I can't remember right now... so I don't really see the difference here other than one is a SW universe and the other is a middle earth one.
    You do know you can earn Turbine Points from playing the game, right? You don't need to put any money into the game. Heck, I've unlocked everything you said there by just doing deeds and such. No cash.

I think every F2P should follow the LoTRO model. Of course, this is about money. Haha. Also, I apologize for bringing this topic off it's track.
    Last edited by evenflowjimbo; May 01, 2014 at 04:37 PM.

Nah that's okay, we can stretch it within reason because we're still talking about SWTOR by comparing the two game models.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, I did know about earning in game turbine points but honestly how long does that take? Granted I only played for a few weeks/maybe a month (got to like level 30ish) but I had barely made enough turbine points to unlock anything of significance. Perhaps it gets better, the higher level the more points you earn? IDK, I just thought that type of system was a little gamey myself.

You can earn cartel coins too by doing certain achievements... it doesnt matter though its never enough.
    Also every purple unlocks and others are usualy avaible at GTN, you can buy them for in came credits as well.
    I realy dont see much diferent then anyother MMO with a F2P model. Its mostly the same.

Well to be fair, those CC in SWTOR seemed few and far between. From what I remember, in LoTR the turbine points come in more often than in SWTOR, I think it was like 5 turbine points for every deed (mission in SWTOR) that was turned in. Still was barely enough for me though, I remember most of the unlocks were something like 200-300 points. I think I earned a total of 300 in those 25/30 levels. I'm going back to 2011 (before SWTOR came out) so my memory is a bit fuzzy but I think I calculated that it would have taken me 8+ months at the pace I was going just to open up the basic QOL stuff in LoTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    You can earn cartel coins too by doing certain achievements... it doesnt matter though its never enough.
    Also every purple unlocks and others are usualy avaible at GTN, you can buy them for in came credits as well.
    I realy dont see much diferent then anyother MMO with a F2P model. Its mostly the same.
    I buy my cartel coins, and if you are a subscriber you get cartel coins free every month. Also, you can buy a huge majority of the items on the GTN (player market) without having to spend any real life cash. Though, of course since this is a player market the prices, and selection of items will be varied.

The only problem with not being a subscriber and trying to buy unlocks off the GTN is the credit restriction free to play and preferred status players get, so for the most part, free to play or preferred status players still cannot buy these unlocks with in game credits because the cash they need is being held in escrow. Best bet is just subscribing saving credits and getting as many unlocks as you can in the time before your subscription expires.

@Darth Red: What server do you play on?

Pff, which server don't I have toons on would be an easier question lol

Prophecy of the Five (6)
    Tomb of Freedon Nadd (4)
    Jung Ma (3)
    Jedi Covenant (2)
    Red Eclipse (2)

We should meet up on Prophecy of The Five.

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    I buy my cartel coins, and if you are a subscriber you get cartel coins free every month. Also, you can buy a huge majority of the items on the GTN (player market) without having to spend any real life cash. Though, of course since this is a player market the prices, and selection of items will be varied.

The only problem with not being a subscriber and trying to buy unlocks off the GTN is the credit restriction free to play and preferred status players get, so for the most part, free to play or preferred status players still cannot buy these unlocks with in game credits because the cash they need is being held in escrow. Best bet is just subscribing saving credits and getting as many unlocks as you can in the time before your subscription expires.

@Darth Red: What server do you play on?
    I know, but you can buy unlocks extension to raise the credit cap on GTN or with cartel coins.

Regardless when i want to play i always subscribe,because im into end game PVE content.
    That being said, i dont play it for a good while now. Last time i had alot of fun getting my tauntauns mounts and such

All of my toons are on Red Eclipse though. I belive i have characters on other servers, but i realy dont play them.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 02, 2014 at 10:34 AM.

Yeah I haven't been on in about a month myself (not since before 2.7 though I patched it and kept it updated) I've been checking out Rome II the past month plus I needed short break so I don't burn out. I'm starting to get that itch again though, I blame Jimbo for bumping the thread and getting me thinking about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Red View Post
    Nah that's okay, we can stretch it within reason because we're still talking about SWTOR by comparing the two game models.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, I did know about earning in game turbine points but honestly how long does that take? Granted I only played for a few weeks/maybe a month (got to like level 30ish) but I had barely made enough turbine points to unlock anything of significance. Perhaps it gets better, the higher level the more points you earn? IDK, I just thought that type of system was a little gamey myself.
    It's easy if you have a character that can farm rep items. Which should be around a level 40 or so. You can send those rep items to new characters and quickly get around 300 TP in rep deeds. If you want, you could get 150 more from each starting zone but I skip that as rep items are so easy to get. That, and I have plenty of gold to buy them on the auction house too. This could all be done in a matter of minutes and you could get over 1000 TP per day. You just have to delete the new character and start over. Rinse and repeat method. Although, it's pretty mind-numbing. But hey, at least you don't have to pay cash for some silly account upgrades and such.
    Last edited by evenflowjimbo; May 02, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

They did a Stream showing the Guild Flagships, along with conquests (can try it on pts apparently).

http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/c/4827629

Looks cool, the conquests. Guild ships are gonna cost a ton, at least there will be more to do end game if you are into that kinda thing.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

So i just became a subscriber and downloading the game. Do i have to buy anything else?.

Razvus's Avatar Campidoctor

Only if you want more CartelCoins, the ingame currency for special items. But as a subscriber you receive a moderate amount of CartelCoins each month. You use this money to purchase some special ingame items and features, unlocking more inventory space for all your characters, and the list goes on. But basically, you don't need to spend money on anything else.

The basic currency, credits, still exists and you'll spend those on pretty much everything you see ingame. In fact, you can buy those special items with regular credits on the player market, but at a steeper price.
    No.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

You can now buy a house as well, decorating it has been made stupid elaborate however.

If you get a chair, you only get that chair once.. if you want more you need to go through the process again for each chair.. same for each other object.
    And instead of just having a furniture store to purchase stuff with credits, special kits need to be crafted that can be exchanged for stuff.. often requiring more than one thing. Or you buy these kits on the cartell market and they are quite expensive.. unless you like farming lots of hours for credits that is.

Personly, I play the game quite casually and mostly just like to roleplay since the combat and thereby leveling, is quite dull. I unlocked almost all rooms for my dromund kaas stronghold using the cartell coins I saved up, exept for the rediculously overpriced balcony which is over a 1000 coins.. or something around a million credits. I'd like to decorate the place, in a style fit for nobility but its going to take a long time.. by the time its done the game is probably going to get shut down.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Man, firstly i wanna do all of pve stuff and some pvp since release. I surely don't give a about cosmetic stuff . Played beta three years ago and hated it but now i want to try and enjoy as much i can. I have no idea which class is good, bad, fun and useful for party/raid, also i'm curious how many Jedi classes are there (ratio against others) and how is the balance between classess.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    You can now buy a house as well, decorating it has been made stupid elaborate however.

If you get a chair, you only get that chair once.. if you want more you need to go through the process again for each chair.. same for each other object.
    And instead of just having a furniture store to purchase stuff with credits, special kits need to be crafted that can be exchanged for stuff.. often requiring more than one thing. Or you buy these kits on the cartell market and they are quite expensive.. unless you like farming lots of hours for credits that is.

Personly, I play the game quite casually and mostly just like to roleplay since the combat and thereby leveling, is quite dull. I unlocked almost all rooms for my dromund kaas stronghold using the cartell coins I saved up, exept for the rediculously overpriced balcony which is over a 1000 coins.. or something around a million credits. I'd like to decorate the place, in a style fit for nobility but its going to take a long time.. by the time its done the game is probably going to get shut down.
    It's so you can continue to buy packs and or farm for the items (or multiple pieces you want), it is an mmo. Besides I have like 60 chairs in just my personal stronghold and 20 or so banners and more of other things, it isn't hard to get the base stuff multiple times. That isn't including the guild Stronghold I bought. A lot of the stuff is labeled incorrectly or not labeled at all when you look at all the decorations however. I wanted to get some ammo crates for my barracks room, the crates were labeled as pvp commendation vendor and none of them sell it.

This game isn't getting shutdown anytime soon, it is making a lot of money off the Cartel Market, and even more now because they can now reuse more assets and sell them as premium decorations for people who buy the packs (which are a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Man, firstly i wanna do all of pve stuff and some pvp since release. I surely don't give a about cosmetic stuff . Played beta three years ago and hated it but now i want to try and enjoy as much i can. I have no idea which class is good, bad, fun and useful for party/raid, also i'm curious how many Jedi classes are there (ratio against others) and how is the balance between classess.
    There is a lot of stuff to do once you hit 55, the operations are fun, pvp is Okay, and I enjoy the stories for each class.

It depends on which server you are playing on really. All the classes are really good, that's why I have almost one of each. Just pick something you like and have fun with it.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; August 23, 2014 at 06:29 AM.