Thread: Why are my heroes so damn weak?

Default Why are my heroes so damn weak?

My problem is: I started 5 campaigns now, and in every try my heroes died in battle, while the enemy heroes seem immortal. Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by TW-fanboy; February 27, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Why are my heroes so damn weak?

Could be that you are just pitting a weak hero against a legendary one, or a hero that has more experience. Try fighting your way up. Even with Agamemnon and Menelauos I began keeping them with a powerful unit, and ha them fight against regular units. I don't try my luck against other heroes until I am at a silver ranking

The Spaniard's Avatar Civis

I found it was a matter of how you attack the other hero. One time I sent Penthesilea to fight Idomeneus who was already engaged with some of my Trojan spearmen, she went up to fight him, but as she was getting in position Idomeneus was able to attack and kill her. Its a matter of timing. Using Aeneas I was able to kill both Achilles and Patroclus in the span of a minute. Patroclus had run up to aid Achilles while Aeneas was fighting him and got killed right off the bat.

The Trojans are soooo weak. I killed Aias and Petroclus as Hector and Diophobus. Diophobus, Patroclus, and Aias were dead but the greek armies stood to fight while (keep in mind I was owning) the allied Diophobus army was running, although they were a considerably large force. It makes the mod so bad cuz I hate the Greeks and love the Trojans. Its not even worth playing now. I restarted the campaign 14 times cuz my heroes kept dying

The movies depiction is also much better (units, music)..... ESPECIALLY for the trojans. why was TTW trojan skins abandoned. All I liked was the history and UI

I'm not being mean or anything. I love this mod but the spoken narrative at the beginning of each campaign could be slightly better. In terms of detail and presentation it's excellent but the accent needs a lot of work. Perhaps if you used a voice changing program or an accent altering program. This is my opinion, i'm not sure if anyone agrees. I was wondering if anyone else could give their view on it? If i'm wrong, i'm wrong.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Quote Originally Posted by DDomega View Post
    I'm not being mean or anything. I love this mod but the spoken narrative at the beginning of each campaign could be slightly better. In terms of detail and presentation it's excellent but the accent needs a lot of work. Perhaps if you used a voice changing program or an accent altering program. This is my opinion, i'm not sure if anyone agrees. I was wondering if anyone else could give their view on it? If i'm wrong, i'm wrong.
    Well, if we had Brian Blessed or another professional voice actor, then that would be much better. Unfortunately it's just me and Zhuge on our own time and without receiving any salaries. If you don't like the intro, you can easily skip it by pressing Esc.

Quote Originally Posted by MouPasta
    why was TTW trojan skins abandoned.
    Because they were terrible (no offence to Zhuge_Liang, but in comparison with the Aristeia units, which are more detailed even than ETW units, the TTW ones were really pretty basic) and really quite inappropriate for a mod based on classical mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-fanboy
    My problem is: I started 5 campaigns now, and in every try my heroes died in battle, while the enemy heroes seem immortal. Am I doing something wrong?
    It's all about learning how to handle them. Personally I can usually keep my heroes alive and kill the enemy ones, though occasionally your heroes will die. It's unavoidable - you can't count on constant, repetitive victories like you can in Vanilla RTW. Aristeia is supposed to be challenging. What you should do is to distract enemy heroes with ordinary units like spearmen or swordsmen, and then send your own hero in behind the enemy to attack him. Generally speaking, your hero will succeed in cutting the enemy down before he can turn to face you. And if your hero dies, then bad luck. Don't start a new campaign just because you lose a hero; just try your best to turn defeat into ultimate victory. Remember that a lot of heroes died in the Trojan War, on both sides.
    Last edited by Zenith Darksea; February 27, 2010 at 04:12 PM.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by MouPasta View Post
    why was TTW trojan skins abandoned. All I liked was the history and UI
    Alot of the ttw skins were based on the movie portrails, at the insistants of the exteanded mod team they had at the time (That is my understanding from the old threads on the ttw forum)

The 2004 film of Troy had little to do with historical fact. Ofcourse, the hittite and mionian units in ttw were quite accurate, the units based on the Troy movie were not.

The Trojans are soooo weak. I killed Aias and Petroclus as Hector and Diophobus. Diophobus, Patroclus, and Aias were dead but the greek armies stood to fight while (keep in mind I was owning) the allied Diophobus army was running, although they were a considerably large force. It makes the mod so bad cuz I hate the Greeks and love the Trojans.

It is likely to do with the demorilising traits of the Heros that you fought. They could have pushed your men to the breaking point.

Its not even worth playing now. I restarted the campaign 14 times cuz my heroes kept dying
    Probably not worth mentioning.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Also guys, remember that this is a beta. It's not the perfect product. You're only playing it so that you can find out what's wrong with it. Then we, the mod team, can fix it. We prefer constructive criticism to whining.

I think I'm getting it. I play the Minoans and conquered most of the isles.
    So now that I learn to handle the heroes, a small feedback
    +Beautiful units
    +Very unique lightning (I actually like it, but you may think of a version without it for those who don't)
    +Many unique heroes
    +Interesting setting (camping armies before the gates of troy)
    -wierd hero combat (I know, the heroes are remodeled elephant units with infantry animation so it's not your fault, but it#s worth to mention)
    -the greeks most of the time left asia minor (perhaps you should remove their starting fleets around troy) in my campaigns.
    So, for the beginning, I can say it's a quite enjoyable and interesting mod.
    Please tell me the names of all creators so I can be sure to rep all of them (one fanboy to rep them all ....)

The movies depiction is also much better (units, music)..... ESPECIALLY for the trojans. why was TTW trojan skins abandoned. All I liked was the history and UI
    Sound like somebody is suffering from losers rage. You will need to learn how to play Aristeia, it is not like regular RTW and it can be hard. If you prefer the movie units then by all means play TTW. I'm not going to attack your taste, to each his own, but please refrain from posting derogatory comments here. We don't get paid, we gain nothing from this whole process other than a bit of fun and satisfaction that other people are having fun. If you aren't that's too bad, but trying to make us feel guilty because of this isn't very helpful.

My suggestion - try TTW.

You're all getting me wrong! I LOVE THIS MOD! This mod has reached heights that CA could never reach! I am a staunch Trojan fan and it makes no sense for my two armies to rout when the opposing heroes are dead. I am suggesting that the Greek side may be overpowering. And I appreciate the accuracy of this based on the epic. I guess I'm just having an Achilles Rage because my side is seemingly weaker. P.S. I've played as both sides.

Maybe I'm the only one that notices the bais. I'm only returning feedback, not whining. Though I apologize I think I did sound whiny in my earlier post.

And don't get me wrong. I congratulate you on Aristeia and am utterly in love with it. Thank you for all your work. This is why I'm leaving feedback, because I love it and want to help it improve.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; February 28, 2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: triple post

Mou have you heard about Edit button?

Heroes are fine but they are a litle dumb i mean i hate when they run all over the enemy formation like chariots instead of fight with their mens

ARRIBA LA CELESTE!!

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Nachox View Post
    Mou have you heard about Edit button?

Heroes are fine but they are a litle dumb i mean i hate when they run all over the enemy formation like chariots instead of fight with their mens
    Hmmm, I've never sent a hero at a charging force of horses. Seems kind of silly

Its like Zhuge or Zenith (Can't be bothered opening a new window on my crappy work computer to check) said, the AI realises its charging at one guy and goes "WHAT the HELL! mabe if I stand next to him and stab midair?" but that can't be helped. I've still had an epic one on one battle where my Anax singled out a rouge trojan General who killed Menelauos by ambush. The general was left with a force of ten men, and so I tried several auto resolve battles with mercs to no avail, and then faced off and won in single combat against the catamite!

Quote Originally Posted by Nachox View Post
    They do that in the Iliad

Hahaha they do don't they? man playing the mod makes me feel like Im in the book

If you want to get a unit of Myrmidons to follow Achilles around then you can do that (just use the ""group" function,), but some of us like the option of having our heroes go it alone. And if you read the Iliad, entire armies rout at the onrush of a hero, and a hero's death can completely swing morale - which is what they've put into the game.

It's different from vanilla RTW, and it can be frustrating that good tactics aren't always enough - but that's the unique fun of this mod. You've got to work at raising your hero's valour and hope for the best.