Thread: RTW reinstallation problems

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default RTW reinstallation problems

Hi everyone,

I tried to re-install Rome today but couldn't do it. Basically, I've kept my games on my external HD and I got a new one about a month ago. I copied the files straight across, but now the name of the drive is different (used to be F: but now it's E. Anyway I tried to reinstall Rome but when I went into the installer it said it came up with error messages saying the path was corrupted or unreadable so I aborted after five error messages in a row. It wasn't working. Instead I deleted the files manually from the ext. HD. But when the autoplay or setup is run it still thinks I've got it installed and only gives me the options to modify, repair or remove the game (none of which helps because whatever I select it gives the error message). Any help on being able to install the game again would be appreciated! I'm not very good with the techy aspects so if you could give it to me in steps I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Genius of the Restoration; February 27, 2010 at 01:05 AM.

Default Re: RTW reinstallation problems

Hi,

Run regedit.exe and delete these keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Creative Assembly\Barbarian Invasion
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War - Alexander
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War - Alexander add-on
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War - patch 1.5

Locate the RTW installer CLSID keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete them. One for each product, or three total with RTW+BI+Alexander. (A CLSID is usually randomly generated and will have a format of "{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}".)

If you are running Windows Vista/7 there may still be stray Game Explorer entries.

Oh, and if a drive letter is ever renamed on you again, you can always change it back in the computer management console (compmgmt.msc from the command line).

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Worked a treat thanks mate.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Good to hear - resolved & closed

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here