Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Don't settle for forced MEDIUM settings on older comps!

Default Don't settle for forced MEDIUM settings on older comps!

Please try this. (I have an older model XPS 600 running a an old 7900GTX) and it was forced into MED settings in graphics in ETW which I had problems with so I backed off to low then.

NOW is a new story: Same system and still forced to MED settings but I found this help and decided to try it out seeing that I had no graphics issues on medium settings and I was very angry about "disappearing dead soldiers" and was told HIGH setings would cure this.

Simply go to your scripts file and change this:

gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

to this:

gfx_video_memory 512000000; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

I was ASTOUNDED at graphics Iv'e never witnessed now that I was allowed to change my settings to HIGH...ASTOUNDED...THUNDERSTRUCK...AMAZED...COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY. It's a whole new game! ! !

Iv'e been missing out!

Incidentally, those "disappearing soldiers" are now not disappearing but remaining for the duration.

WELL DONE DEVS WELL DONE what a beautiful game!!!...I might try ultra...who know but they really improved the graphics management and pleas give that old machine a try with this change...you might be amazed too.

Default Re: Don't settle for forced MEDIUM settings on older comps!

could you point me in the right direction as to where the scripts file is? cheers.

This does work as suggested, but be careful. You are telling the system that you have more texture memory then you actually have. I tried this back in the day with ETW and my 7600GS. It -does- work, but keep your texture settings realistic. If you set too many things to Ultra the whole game slows right down as texture content is continually being fed to the card.

Cheers, Moopere

I hear you, noted. Where is this scripts file I cannot seem to locate it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I hear you, noted. Where is this scripts file I cannot seem to locate it. Thanks.
    OK on my XP the scripts is in

Documents and Settings/"yourname"/Application Data/The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/Scripts

in Vista i believe it is similar except under Appdata instead of application data. App data is hidden by default so just go to the properties of your "username" folder and select show hidden

TheGeat's Avatar Miles

I have a crappy old Geforce 7600GS and a multicore prossessor with 1.9 Ghz and it works great with high to ultra settings plus the various effects you can select. The only problem is that the camera sometimes get slow when zooming in a lot of untits that are gathered at one spot.

Bottomline is that Napoleon runs way smoother on older PC's than empire and looks way better aswell.
    Last edited by TheGeat; February 27, 2010 at 12:01 PM.

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Hint taken thank you.

Incidentally, those "disappearing soldiers" are now not disappearing but remaining for the duratio
    Could you comment this? What are those "disappearing soldiers" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Torn Sage View Post
    OK on my XP the scripts is in

Documents and Settings/"yourname"/Application Data/The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/Scripts

Thanks, I have Win 7 but I'm sure I will find it.

Nope couldn't find it in win 7.

Documents and Settings/"yourname"/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Napoleon/Scripts

For Win7 and Vista

cheers m8 found it

If you are on less than "HIGH" setings, te dead soldiers on the battle field start disappearing after 30-60 seconds.

-HIGH settings cures it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn Sage View Post
    Please try this. (I have an older model XPS 600 running a an old 7900GTX) and it was forced into MED settings in graphics in ETW which I had problems with so I backed off to low then.

NOW is a new story: Same system and still forced to MED settings but I found this help and decided to try it out seeing that I had no graphics issues on medium settings and I was very angry about "disappearing dead soldiers" and was told HIGH setings would cure this.

Simply go to your scripts file and change this:

gfx_video_memory 0; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

to this:

gfx_video_memory 512000000; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

I was ASTOUNDED at graphics Iv'e never witnessed now that I was allowed to change my settings to HIGH...ASTOUNDED...THUNDERSTRUCK...AMAZED...COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY. It's a whole new game! ! !

Iv'e been missing out!

Incidentally, those "disappearing soldiers" are now not disappearing but remaining for the duration.

WELL DONE DEVS WELL DONE what a beautiful game!!!...I might try ultra...who know but they really improved the graphics management and pleas give that old machine a try with this change...you might be amazed too.

Well done mate, I just tried it and have noticed a HUGE improvement. I am now playing with 3x unit size multiplier and all ultra settings!! The battles are truly epic now

Do you have any idea what the 'number of threads' entry relates to? I have a dual quad core processor and would love to be able to optimise this aswell

If I look in the script file the sntence is similiar, exept in this forum its stands <int>, but in my script file it stands a number.

Edit:Nevermind
    Last edited by Lusen; February 28, 2010 at 05:54 AM.

very very very well done!!!!!!!!!
    Lemonaids is:
    a troll
    a noob
    and insult extraordinaire

Recon5000's Avatar Civis

Thanks for posting this. i knew my card was powerful enough to play NTW on high settings, but it just kept crashing when i did.

I'll give this a try.

Choki's Avatar Domesticus

Default You Can´t Play in high? Here is SOLUTION

For thouse whit MEDIUM settings on older comps. Is Becouse the Video Card are of 256 mb. Changing to 512mb in the Scripts allow you to Use High settings

There is a Simple Script in C/ documents & settings/ *username*/Application Data\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon\scripts\preferences.script folder.

This lines are in the preferences.script txt.Inside, in the second line of gfx is this.

Edit the Linewhit "0" to this:

gfx_video_memory 10131500000; # gfx_video_memory <int>, Override available video memory (bytes) #

Now you can play N:TW or E:TW at Max!!!!(For Thouse That cant see dead Bodies or Desapear, jut go to options, and set the units in High Resolution!
    Last edited by Choki; March 29, 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast