Thread: How Do You Play Russia?

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default How Do You Play Russia?

Russia's nearest territory is extremely far from the fighting in Germany, and Mikhail Khutosov's forces can't last very long, so how's it possible to play Russia? Betray the Coalition and strike at Swedish, Austrian, Ottoman and Prussian lands?

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: How Do You Play Russia?

Build and build some more. Invade Ottoman lands, liberate everyone, and wait for Napoleon to show up. Thats how Im playing em.

My own strategy:

At bat: Building infrastructure, slowly picking apart the Ottomans, messing around with liberations/diplomacy in central Germany with the aim of retarding Prussian/French/Austrian growth, and fighting Denmark for control of the Baltic.
    On deck: the invasion of Sweden, and pushing the German speakers out of Poland and Transylvania.
    In the hold: the final showdown with Napoleon.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I played and completed a Russian campaign yesterday.

At the start I was passive and attempted to build up my economy (roads, farms and then industry), Money was coming in but not enough to increase my armies. My borders were quite.

I recieved the mission to take back Finland but before I could do that (I was trading with Sweden) the Turks attacked me - declaring war rather than invading. I slowly rolled back the Turks ans took them out.

The French had expanded to the East and had made seroius inroads into the Prussian and Austrian Empires. I ended up propping up the Austrians and made a double attack through Prussia and from the Balkans slowly beating back the French (they had taken Transylvania but were surrounded by Austrian territory).

My intention was to 'cut off' territories.

I did not hang onto all territories and liberated Hungary, Saxony and eventually Italy.

Last stand of the French:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

After this the Austrians attacked my protectorate the Hungarians and I did my suty and went to war with Austria - only to be attacked by Denmark.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

McCarronXLD's Avatar Senator

I sent Kutusov to the front (around Prague) and helped defend my allies there via ambushing merging armies near the border forests while my main force conquored the Ottoman Empire. By the time I swept them I was close enough to Kutusov to reinforce him and start pushing the French back. In my campaign now I have control over all of France's previous territories as well as Spain's and Italy as far as Rome (wonder how Catholics feel about the Unorthodox taking over Rome ). With France and Spain now out of the picture I am the strongest Empire.

However my allies have started to turn against each other. It started out by Great Britain breaking my alliance.. I suspect they will invade either my Spanish territories or right along the channel between France and England. I have started to build forts along the sea and garrison appropriately. Austria has gone to war with Denmark and Prussia has gone to war with Mecklenburg and they have both asked me to participate, while they have both broken their alliance with the other. After this set of conflicts I will have to choose between Prussia and Austria. I am beginning to side with Austria due to my buying out of their region several turns prior to my current one (the victory condition one) which means I don't have to go to war with them to win, whereas with Prussia I need two of their regions (both of which are rich regions) so my coin means nothing

My plan to ensnare Prussia is as follows: I will make use of the current military access to march my armies through their lands to take control of Denmark. During this time I will fortify northern France along the Prussian border. Thankfully I do not share that long of a border with Prussia in Western or Eastern Europe so containment should be easy, especially in the East where my newly aquired territory is in a narrow pass. Once war breaks out I will focus my attacks from Copenhagen and hope that the British don't rain on my parade .
    Last edited by McCarronXLD; February 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM.

when i played russia, france captured all of austria and most of pruissia while i was taking on ottoman, but then after that french army disappeared and i easily captured all the empty french cities and won

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Moving from the strategic to the tactical, how do you play as russia on the battle map? They have a pretty big disadvantage in a shootout with other factions, and a pretty big advantage in bayonet charge, but when do you decide it's time to charge home? Do you basically just fire once and charge?

My strategy with every other faction has been basically to outshoot the enemy, I almost never charge except occasionally with my grenadiers. I obviously need to change my strategy with russia.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Primicerius

My 2 cents:

Unless France allies with Prussia on turn 0 and sends Prussians to war with Russia, ally with Prussia asap (do whatever it takes). After that, use Kutusov's army as a cash generating machine. First, reinforce it. Then, send it through Austrian lands into Italy. Liberate Piedmont. If you up to it (especially if playing against the AI), take Marseille and transform their market into a supply center and use it as a base to strike at French and Spanish territories for loot. Alternatively: loot Marseille (leave it to rebels and/or French to recapture) and use Piedmont for recovering. The loot money can go a long way to help Russian buildup at home.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Moving from the strategic to the tactical, how do you play as russia on the battle map? They have a pretty big disadvantage in a shootout with other factions, and a pretty big advantage in bayonet charge, but when do you decide it's time to charge home? Do you basically just fire once and charge?

My strategy with every other faction has been basically to outshoot the enemy, I almost never charge except occasionally with my grenadiers. I obviously need to change my strategy with russia.
    Use them for what they're good for: melee. Russian melee stats are superior to all their neighbors' and morale is better too.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Against France I always take horrific casualties in every battle, even if much of the enemy army is armed citizens.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

I concentrated solely on destroying the Ottomans first while feverishly building up my economy as Nappy chewed on Austria.

Basically remain 'we are the world' diplomatically until your South is secure, then turn West and mop up what's left of Austria before engaging France.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post

When I was playing as russia I found that most of my kills came from artillery and light infantry. If you are forced to commit your line infantry into a the fray don't fight fair. Fall back to a better position, or into woodland while light infantry harass them, or attack only when you have a clear advantage in number. To be honest if you playing Russian, your linemen will be serving the job as fodder most of the time.
    Last edited by Daria; March 05, 2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: woops forgot something... ^^

Russia?

Simple, build a good army with the best general and march towards Prague through Austria (Which gives you military access on the start).

Take Prague, fortify it, invest in it, build a mid-size defence, and boom, you have a foothold in the center of Europe and are ready to support Prussia and Austria against the French.

in my first coalition campaign i played russia on H/VH and won by mid 1807 which was rather disappointing.

i started by engaging sweden for finland and completely underestimated the diplomatic penalties that would follow. it basically left me at war with the rest of europe and france brokered a peace treaty with the rest of the coalition, thus forging a coalition against the mighty russian bear. but beacause of the excellent economic potential of the russian empire i managed to generate enough cash to mobilise huge armies.

my european foothold was to be the austrian region north of transylvania/hungary and i had kutuzov ambushing all austrians trying to march through the pass. this was kind of cool in the beginning but after a while the ai "learned" this and adopted to the tactic by just keeping 4 full stacks in the middle of hungary, ehh.

from there on i liberated sweden and romania, conquered copenhagen (generates more cash than moscow), liberated poland and norway. I still hdnt fought the french who at the time was eating preussia for breakfast. when i decided to attack the french in hannover i had my final battle and won the campaign rather suprisingly. i thought i had to hold on to my territories until 1812 which would have been much more challenging as both france and austria could have posed a real threat. the ottomans was fairly subdued but became stronger towards 1807.

oh, and its totally worth looting constantinople/istanbul, i gained 32000 the first time around

i found the ai to be much too passive, especially the austrians and to some degree the danish. the danish controlled the baltic sea and had a full stack army in a full stack fleet for 6 rounds doing nothing to invade either sweden or me. the did invade in 1807, but then i took out copenhagen and it was too late. if the austrians had attacked me and the danish had attacked either me or sweden i wouldnt have been nearly as sucdessful. guess i would have struggled all the way until 1812.

cheers

Mr. Sorrow's Avatar Ordinarius

I played as Russia and merge Kutusovs and the other Russian generals armies, my aim- Bavaria. I took it out and slowly established a buffer Russian state in South Germany. French Empire fallen to mine and Austrian arms in 1810, Prussia 1808 and then my final showdown and favourite roleplay "Russia against all"...

You can take out the Ottomans with your starting troops. Blitz through their lands and get that warm water port that russia has always craved .

After that, you can either build up your economy and wait for Austria/Prussia to be taken out (since they hold victory objectives), send troops against France, or concentrate on taking over the nordic countries or Italy. Once you get trade flowing from the Mediterranean the game is more or less over, regardless of difficulty.

For once, I don't feel bad (in respect to the Ottomans) historically about establishing trade fleets with a land power. History obviously unfolded much differently, but Russia would have loved to get her hands on constantinople/instanbull and establish a trading and naval force.