Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does Sylvania work?

Default How does Sylvania work?

First off, I was supprised that I started out going into debt. I took 2 towns and bought absolutely nothing, and was still in debt, untill I raised ALL my cities too high taxes, then finally I made like 100 positive bucks per turn. Then just as I accually CAN recruit men, three full armies of the Empire come and attack me. I love the challenge, but I was just wondering if Sylvania had an extra perk or something?

Also, when I took over a city, I could have sworn I gained more men after the battle, but I could have just forgot how many I had before. Does the "Necromancer" trait accually raise enemies from the dead to help me? If not what DOES it do?

Groovy

Default Re: How does Sylvania work?

why you don't use RC ?
    In RC , almost all unit's upkeep reduce to 0 , may be this will help you save more money
    About "three full armies of the Empire" , I think if you send assassin kill all generals lead the army , they will go
    Current play as Reikland , two orc general dead by assassin , Grunburg safe , orc threat is no more
    ░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤
    This is Total War !!!

The Necromancer ability allows you to automatically resurrect a large part of lost units after a battle, as well as summon undead "mercenary" reinforcements on the world map.

Blackomur89's Avatar Campidoctor

You get most of your casualties returned, but Zombies and the Undead don't pay taxes so be prepared to play with very low income.
    2D artist for Call of Warhammer TW; 2D artist for Westeros TW; 2D artist and researcher for The Ruins of Arnor TATW sub-mod; 2D artist for Warcraft TW.

does necromancy also work after a lost battle? I mean the the casualities, do I even get almost every man back after a lost battle ?

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

In sylvania you start with big armies and few cities.You have low taxes and when you win a battle you gain some soldiers.
    Last edited by cenkiss; February 27, 2010 at 09:26 AM.

I don't understand why they're so poor. They're immortal and have been building wealth for a long time. They also don't have to pay for equipment because their troops are raised from the ground with whatever armor and weapon the need with the exception of blood knights and maybe grave guards.

Humakty's Avatar Tiro

The history of Sylvania is full of strife, and loads of crushing defeats against the Empire. Those things wouls soak a treasury pretty well I think.

The main advantage of sylvania being your units Never Rout. Punto. Gives a nice feel when you watch it, and its god damn efficient against anything not having top notch morale.
    Last edited by Humakty; February 28, 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    Ten times more numerous, by night and backstabbing.

Senior member of the G.L.I.N..

One word: Undead. You should make armies entirely of Undead. Not only do they look awesome but a lot of them have 0 upkeep but high training costs. So it works out. You'll be using a lot of skeletons and zombies.

That's how all undead armies are done aren't they? Cheap cannon fodder!

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    One word: Undead. You should make armies entirely of Undead. Not only do they look awesome but a lot of them have 0 upkeep but high training costs. So it works out. You'll be using a lot of skeletons and zombies.
    I haven't played Sylvania yet but I have fought them countless times. And I just want to say quality > quantity. Nothing feels better than using 800 of your best troops to take down 2000+ worthless skeletons/zombies

Quote Originally Posted by EleventyK View Post
    I haven't played Sylvania yet but I have fought them countless times. And I just want to say quality > quantity. Nothing feels better than using 800 of your best troops to take down 2000+ worthless skeletons/zombies
    Well any Sylvania army should be backed up with a small, yet capable core of elite units like Blood Dragons and Vampire Black Knights but they will be few in number, definitely nowhere near 800 strong, and you will still need vast hordes of skeletons and zombies otherwise you will fail. Sylvania was meant to make use of skeletons. Ok, if you don't like skeletons you can use your Human militias but they will be somewhat fewer in number (workable), will not have 0 upkeep (crap, damnit), and will also not have lock morale which means they won't fight to the last (GOD****IT!), but on the other hand as you implied they are stronger.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

It's a real nice feeling to just bumrush the enemy with all those skeletons and zombies, shambling along, falling in their hundreds... They render the enemy totally stuck, giving you ample time to let your Blood Dragon knights form up right behind them and deliver something like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The best thing, though, is knowing that all of your undead are really easily replaceable if you have a general with good necromancy abilities! (free zombie mercenaries and high casualty recovery rate FTW!!)

Zombies and skeletons don't pay taxes, but the citizens of Sylvania live in destitute poverty while the vampire lords are pretty well off. Of course it varies with the vampire lord who presides over that piece of Sylvania, but its safe to say they incur some hefty tributes. Naturally I'm not indicating its a rich province anyway, but it was to address that they still have some kind of internal financial structure.

But yes, use RC and get rid of those upkeep costs for the core undead troops. Like mentioned above, you really can't be using many elite units and your greatest strength is pure numbers.

"Keep throwing men at them! They'll run out of arrows eventually!"
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Bah! Who needs to worry about arrows? You can just replace your army with the dead of your defeated enemy!

Reverend Scott's Avatar Senator

Wow- I am just starting to realize the depth of new features in CoW! Re-Inventing Total War!
    www.samsarra.com
    iTunes:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id498281682?ign-mpt=uo%3D5
    Proud Beta tester for 300 Warlords of Sparta
    Proud Beta tester for Hic Est Lacedaemon
    Proud Beta tester for British East India Company - The Indian Mutiny (BEIC)
    Proud Beta tester for American Civil War - The Blue and the Grey 2.65-3.0

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ethien View Post
    (...)
    But yes, use RC and get rid of those upkeep costs for the core undead troops. Like mentioned above, you really can't be using many elite units and your greatest strength is pure numbers.
    Questions.

1- what is RC? Recruitment script?
    2- where can I get it?

Having upkeep costs for skeletons & zombies is indeed quite curious. It's not like they need money to eat, drink & have fun.

"I want my pay!"

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

RC= Real Combat.

I made a Real Combat mod here. It's still a beta, and I will make a major update once 1.4 is out.

Thanks. I've read the thread and I'm not sure It's Save-compatible + no mention of Sylvania.

Anyway, after 30 turns & some city conquests (towns don't make cash) the financial situation is stabilized.

My tips about the OP:

1- don't recruit any skeletons = the ones at the beginning are enough + have nice Exp. + they get "refilled" with your dead enemies anyway (yeah! Necromancy!)
    2- don't even recruit elite units (or maybe 1 or 2 grave halberdiers) = Blood Dragons will "join" for FREE if you complete some missions.
    3- fight with Mannfred Von Carstein as much battles as you can. He's a terrific Necromancer who can summon masses of undeads while travelling ("mercenary" except no cost at all) + replenish units after battle etc.
    4- human troops are OK only to defend cities. Buy Empire troops so they don't have upkeep costs while garrisoned.
    5- When fighting in the open, use only 100% undead troops - they never flee!
    6- plunder, ransom, raise high taxes, everything is good for cash - forget your rep, the whole world is at war with Sylvania anyhow + Build roads & graveyards everytime you can.

More to come

EDIT: go seize Zhufbar (Dwarven castle) at the beginning, instead of losing time & money on poor villages around. All dwarven settlements are cash pumps. Then, go for the Night Gobbos castle west of there.
    Last edited by Big Pacha; March 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM.

Why was my last post deleted?

I've put lost of tips regarding Sylvania.

EDIT = allright, my bad you put it back. Thanks!

Maybe It's time to create a real Sylvania Faction Thread too.
    Last edited by Big Pacha; March 30, 2010 at 06:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast