Thread: BAI differential between campaigns

Default BAI differential between campaigns

Hey all, first post in a while (been actually playing games and trolling lol).

Anyway I got NTW a couple days ago, and I've noticed something odd, and wanted to see what you all think. So I played all the way through the italian campaign and have to say the BAI was great - column to line when attacking, cavalry used as flankers, didn't do the window washer back and forth stuff from ETW - however, I'm now about 1/3 of the way through Egypt and the BAI is back to empire levels - AI just sitting in deploy zone even on attack, window washers, and "frozen" units.

I've been reading some posts about people who thought that maybe the italian campaign would be reworked most by CA to get good initial reviews, and it is looking like that may be very possible.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a review, but I just wanted to say this has been my experience so -watch out- for those that have not already bought the game. Any one else notice this?

However, in fairness, the game is still awesome, graphics, attrition, new units, etc. I'd still reccomend the game to anyone. And one other thing of note: I was worried about the overly structured campaign system (I was the type of person that would conquer all of italy with the SPQR and just sit there, ie not a structured player), but to imo its actually a nice addition to the game. It gives the game the momentum that I think was lacking in ETW, and also brings back the role playing feel of the earlier titles.

Sorry for the scattered form, I've been at the comp for the last, oh, couple hours

Default Re: BAI differential between campaigns

iam downloading the game and i will see tomorrow (i think im going to do the egyptian campaign first so lets see)

BTW: What does BAI exactly meen?? I know its something with the smartness of the AI.
    Last edited by fast gamertag; February 26, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

Quote Originally Posted by fast gamertag View Post
    BTW: What does BAI exactly meen?? I know its something with the smartness of the AI.
    Battle Artificial Intelligence

Shader's Avatar Civis

To put it short: how the AI reacts in real time battles.

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

and then CAI is campaign artificial intelligence

I think the reason Campaign BAI is different from Quick BAI is because in the campaign the CAI is tied into the BAI. For instance if outnumbered or in a poor strategic position the CAI will tell the BAI to retreat.

PallasArmata's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryDUTCH View Post
    I think the reason Campaign BAI is different from Quick BAI is because in the campaign the CAI is tied into the BAI. For instance if outnumbered or in a poor strategic position the CAI will tell the BAI to retreat.
    There was no evidence of this happening in ETW (or any TW game). I'd be curious to hear if there seems to be a relation in NTW.
    To Face the foe - British AAR

"In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes and brocade
    Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise -
    An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
    With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes -
    At Blenheim and Ramillies fops would confess
    They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.
    "
    - Brown Bess, The Army Musket, Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryDUTCH View Post
    Nah. I'd be really surprised if this was the case. I think it would be great but considering CA had big problems scripting an competent AI for ETW I doubt they have implemented anything like this in NTW.

Contrary to what a lot of people think...I highly doubt there is any difference between custom battle and GC BAI. It seems that way because GC battles tend to be smaller, with less diverse units which results in BETTER BAI.

Well they do surrender now, considering i could never get a single army to surrender for the entire time i played ETW, it is a little funny how the AI tries to flank you on the campaign map, esp the Italy campaign, you can sit there and watch them go all the way around, little silly, i mean i like the idea, but it gave me huge amounts of time to set up defenses and take the next town, would of been much more difficult if they simply hit me head on, or ambushes stuff like that.