Thread: Mod Managing for NTW

Zaitochisan's Avatar Civis

Default Mod Managing for NTW

Hallo all,
    At this point until some one builds a specific NTW modmanager let me remind you of a very useful program I use in conjuction with MM on ETW.

JSGME

Simple guide of how to use:

1. Install Jsgme.exe into any folder you like, copy the installed contents to the NTW folder
    eg:C:\Games\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war

2. create a desktop short cut to the jsgme.exe you have just copied into NTW

3. Launch Jsgme
    Go to Tasks and Generate a snapshot of your vanilla setup, this is your RETURN TO setup when you
    uninstall all mods. This setup is stored as JSGME file snapshot.txt in the MODS folder created by
    JSGME. Its worth creating back up of this txt file as for example by copying as VANILLA_SETUP.txt.

REMEMBER: to temporarily move any files you may have already added to NTW BEFORE generating a
    snapshot, or it wont be a vanilla setup.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

4. Next you need to create or move your NTW mods in the MODS folder, just place them in a folder of
    any suitable name you like, just make sure the folder path matches where you place the Jsgme.exe.
    eg in my case I placed it in the ...\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war folder.
    So I need to make sure any mods have the ...\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war\data folder

eg. the WeaponFX mod folder:
    C:\Games\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\napoleon total war\MODS\WeaponFX\data\WeaponFX.pack
    Green is your MODS folder,Red is the Mod Name folder, Blue is the data folder, Purple is the mod files.

Previously I used JSGME in ETW in its data folder so I didn't need to add data folders to any mods I installed, this time I am doing this way so I can leave JSGME and any Readmes etc in the base NTW folder and solely place the pack files into the data folder, just a bit tidier for me you can do as you prefer
    One draw back of this is every time I load a mod it will question me about the data folder overwriting, but I think its a useful thing to as a last check, you can ignore folder overwrites by clicking yes and theres no issue in later removing any such folder "conflict".

5. Ok so you have all your mods in the mod folder, to install is fairly self evident in JSGME.
    Just move the mod names you want from the left panel to the right.
    The double arrow usefully allows you to remove all.

6. Worth noting you can create Mod profiles to load a group of mods.

7. More about Conflicts now: you can ignore folder conflicts as I said but it will alert you also and list any file conflicts. "Readme.txt" is a common one, just rename the readmes, for more important possible conflicts its up to you but when you later want to uninstall a mod there maybe a dependency on the later conflicting file so you may have to uninstall all the later mods to remove the one you want. Any file conflicts are shown by greying out of the mod name in the right hand panel once installed. JSGME will also tell you which mods are needed to remove first.

8.If you want to have folders other than mods, eg backups, archives of mods, scripts, WIP, etc and you don't want to see them in JSGME but have them in the same MODS folder you can simply make the folder a HIDDEN one in properties and it wont show up if the mods list panel.

The Home Page

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html

Direct Link to latest version

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products/jsgme_setup.exe

I look forward to the mods TWC contributers will come up with, as for me NTW seems more plastic, more C&C than ETW even vanilla ETW. Its about what I expected over all.

Default Re: Mod Managing for NTW

where did you get the weapons fx stuff?
    Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah is it a working ETW mod?!

Tiro

Jsgme is great. Thanks for the reminder.