Thread: Installation?

Default Installation?

So I just got back from the store and got the box DVD version of the game, and I go to install it, and it still has to download off Steam? Wtf? The reason why I bought the game in the store was so that I didn't have to wait for it to download.

Why isn't it installing off the disc?

Default Re: Installation?

...Since ETW all TW games have had to install from STEAM...common known fact.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You really spent the time to look at this?

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

You just bought a hardcopy, it goes through Steam anyway, which is why I just bought the steam one now and have less junk in my house.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Well what's the point of the hardcopy? Is it even possible to install it just off the disc?

Quote Originally Posted by ironbmike View Post
    Well what's the point of the hardcopy?
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

Nope it will simply launch STEAM prompt you to enter account info or to register and install STEAM then it will download it to your games tab! How didn't u know this?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You really spent the time to look at this?

Well let me repeat then: what's the point of having two discs?

Quote Originally Posted by ironbmike View Post
    Well let me repeat then: what's the point of having two discs?

Essentially, you bought it so you can do this:

Indefinitely Banned

I would strongly recommend that you create a Steam account, or a bring an existing account up to date before trying to load any hard disk copy game. Have Steam running in the background, insert your Disk 1, enter the Serial Number when prompted, and your game should be installed directly from the disks. I did that last night and it took me 30 minutes, followed by a ten minute Steam update. It was painless, and I was up and running well within an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony83 View Post
    I would strongly recommend that you create a Steam account, or a bring an existing account up to date before trying to load any hard disk copy game. Have Steam running in the background, insert your Disk 1, enter the Serial Number when prompted, and your game should be installed directly from the disks. I did that last night and it took me 30 minutes, followed by a ten minute Steam update. It was painless, and I was up and running well within an hour.
    THANK YOU

Finally, somebody gives me something helpful.

I just took Tony83's advice and now it's installing OFF THE DISC instead of downloading from Steam and I'll be playing in less than an hour instead of a day.
    Last edited by Astaroth; February 26, 2010 at 02:49 PM.

No it isn't. You bought 2 discs that contain 20 gigs or so of data, you can use said disks to install said data, or you can download it in about the same time via Steam; my download took an hour.

" Why isn't it installing off the disc?"

It is, it's updating the files to get them current.

There, adequate hand holding?
    Last edited by Shabby_Ronin; February 26, 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabby_Ronin View Post
    No it isn't. You bought 2 discs that contain 20 gigs or so of data, you can use said disks to install said data, or you can download it in about the same time via Steam; my download took an hour.

" Why isn't it installing off the disc?"

It is, it's updating the files to get them current.

There, adequate hand holding?
    Right, but I put the disc in and hit install, and it brought up Steam and started downloading. My question was why is it doing this, and Tony answered and now it's installing off disc.

Shabby seeing as you seem to know about this can I quickly hijack this thread for a sec to save me making a new one?

I was just gonna ask, you said it updates even if you have a retail copy to keep the files current. When I finished installing of the disc it was updating at my peak download rate and even after a few mins it wasn't even at 1%. I just double-clicked it to launch it and it happily went ahead and launched. I did however find massive graphic problems which have now prevented me from even loading the game past the SEGA title screen. Could it have been because I just went ahead instead of waiting for that thing? I also tried a full re-install and this time it didn't bother updating but still it didn't work.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

no the problem was that you didn't installed right, the installer might have failed. So steam was downloading the entire game not some 100mb of updates.

try installing again.

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes