Thread: Napoleons Battles : The Battle Of Trafalger

Default Napoleons Battles : The Battle Of Trafalger

First post here but long timer reader

I am absolutley loving napoleon so far and glad i took some days off work to play it! I have played several online battles which have just dropped by jaw at how awesome they are, Im also working my way through the "napoleons battles" on hard difficulty and indeed it has been very tough as the AI is no longer completley dumb and brainless.

I am now utterly stuck on the battle of trafalgar where you have to defeat the british fleet led by lord horatio nelson even though they really won , well wow I though the battle of the nile was hard going, but this naval battle feels near impossible on this dificulty, I have tried everything I can think of to no avail - and was wondering if anyone else has managed to complete this battle on hard + so far?

Any help on tactics or any tips will be highly aprreciated and I must of now had around 22 attempts on this battle and am feeling deflated and out of ideas from it ,

Many thanks and I hope you all will enjoy the game as much as I have been so far.

Ralph

Default Re: Napoleons Battles : The Battle Of Trafalger

Turn the difficulty down one notch for your next 22 atempts?
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

I have contemplated it but I'd rather have the satisfaction on acheiving victory when its a real challenge rather than breezing it on easy difficulty

Moved to Gameplay and Strategy Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRalph View Post
    I have contemplated it but I'd rather have the satisfaction on acheiving victory when its a real challenge rather than breezing it on easy difficulty
    The naval AI is quite a bit better than the land AI though, SirRalph. In large battles, if you don't pause repeatedly (and often even if you do), the AI actually does a better job than a human can managing large #'s of ships. That plus the British naval quality advantage is tough.

I don't think you'll go to hell for lowering the naval battle difficulty, and I plan on doing the same when I get to it so if you do go, you'll have company.

I would think that if you want to play Trafalgar, reading up on the actual battle wouldn't hurt. Just to get an idea of what kind of counters there are for that kind of warfare.

boche's Avatar Ordinarius
    mi querida Espaņa, Islas canarias/ My beloved Spain, canary islands

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I would think that if you want to play Trafalgar, reading up on the actual battle wouldn't hurt. Just to get an idea of what kind of counters there are for that kind of warfare.
    such as not having a frenchman in command

Flugelhorn19's Avatar Foederatus

I won it on Hard just this morning. If you hold your ships back and let the Spanish heavy ships take the brunt of the fighting early on you can look for weakened British ships and rout them as they fade. Eventually the Spanish will break and flee, but if you're careful you can move your ships in a group and overwhelm the divided British fleet one at a time before they regroup. This worked for me. The key was to outnumber the British at the point of attack and be careful.

Good luck, and feel no pity for the Spanish - after all, they're going to change sides in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Flugelhorn19 View Post
    Good luck, and feel no pity for the Spanish - after all, they're going to change sides in a few years.
    And now we know who to blame for that....

Flugelhorn19's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Zetto View Post
    And now we know who to blame for that....
    Brilliant

Yeah thats weird for a game the supposed to be "historically accurate."