Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't people want a challenge?!!!

Default Why don't people want a challenge?!!!

Am i the only person who keeps entering drop in battles to have the host request that i lose on purpose because they're doing rubbish in their campaign? The drop in system is easily the best new feature and people are ruining it by being scared of a challening battle.
    I also can't believe that there are people in existence who can be outwitted by total war campaign AI!

Andrews85's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Why don't people want a challenge?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blank View Post
    Am i the only person who keeps entering drop in battles to have the host request that i lose on purpose because they're doing rubbish in their campaign? The drop in system is easily the best new feature and people are ruining it by being scared of a challenging battle.
    I also can't believe that there are people in existence who can be outwitted by total war campaign AI!
    Well not all battles in Campaign can be a drop-in battle. I think it has to be a really even fight for it to allow you to choose this option. And not every has the game yet. Today is the official release date.

I can't even GET a drop in battle. I'd love a challenge myself, but so far I've had no drop-ins on either side (when playing a campaign or when trying to play someone elses).

I had one person do this to me and I honored his request. I had another person though that didn't request this and despite him having a good army, I beat him with a smaller force. He took it very well, especially since he would have easily have beaten the AI. It almost wants me to reward him for the extra challenge, since he didn't have to do it.

The weird part is that I started a SP campaign myself and noticed that it gives the option for drop-ins for each battle. Therefore these people are either hoping a human will save them from overwhelming odds or they really want a challenge. In my case I have encountered one of each.

I'd probably prefer to impose some self-restraint rather than losing on purpose, for example;

try to play historically with rigid formations and such,
    marching two units deep,
    'let the enemy fire first',
    dont use stakes,
    dont use square formation if cavalry is already fairly close/engaged
    try to RP your general as either foolishly brave or dishonourably cowardly,
    march way closer to the enemy lines,
    never use run unless withdrawing,
    have your artillery fire a bit inaccurately and restrict shell types,
    half way through the battle retreat your army,
    withdraw from the field.

List only limited by imagination, aslong as you keep your troops looking like they're doing something useful and inflict casulaties.

Every time i try to join it stays there for ever. I hope more people check off the "friends only" box when the battle is about to start.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win"- Sun Tzu

I don't think I could intentionally throw a match if someone paid me. It's just not my nature.

Well... I guess that depends on how much they offered.

I say smoke them. If people want to waste my time by requesting a human opponent then they are going to get a human opponent nuff said. It might be cruel but it's more impolite to ask someone to throw a game then it is to beat someone who isn't very good.
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nova View Post
    I say smoke them. If people want to waste my time by requesting a human opponent then they are going to get a human opponent nuff said. It might be cruel but it's more impolite to ask someone to throw a game then it is to beat someone who isn't very good.
    I'm afraid that with this attitude we'll kill the drop-in feature. I suppose it's arguable we want to play these people, so it might be better to kill the feature then. However if we impose rules on our multiplayer matches (e.g. no fixed) then why can't they impose rules just the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nova View Post
    Exactly If I want an easy battle I play ETW campaign
    If you ask me that I will say yes and kill your general first chance I get

Well It's just stupid. I woudve done a drop in to have fun not to help a guy that cant stand losing.

It's good to hear that the odds have to be fairly even.
    I was scared beforehand of all the inevitable jokers who would play drop in battle when they have a full stack against 20 militia.

Quote Originally Posted by aletoledo View Post
    I'm afraid that with this attitude we'll kill the drop-in feature.
    No, they do...

However if we impose rules on our multiplayer matches (e.g. no fixed) then why can't they impose rules just the same?
    I've always been very outspoken for no rules games, but I can see why people play them.
    But saying "let me win" is not a rule for the game, it makes the whole game a farce.

Imagine that situation in chess...
    Games without bishops are a bit silly, but possible and maybe useful as an exercise.
    But why start a game of chess at all when one of the players insists of having to win because he brought the board?

I'm down with the "smoke 'em"s. Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    If it makes people stop allowing drop-in altogether (although I doubt everybody will), then the feature was a good idea, but not meant to be.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

JS ibanez's Avatar Laetus

I think it makes an interesting challenge. In empire its far too easy to breeze through a campaign because you pretty much know you will win any fight you engage in against the AI. You would have to think alot more about your strategy if you have a chance of actually losing some battles, you know like in real life.

I love the idea, I just wished more people played and it worked better. Also, the criteria for a drop-in is rather finnicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Fritzl View Post
    So you want a drop-in battle but when opponent just sit there with artillery, like hedgehog, you suddenly don't like it anymore, because you can't speed up time and thus artillery duel becomes insanely boring? Because that's what i will do - camp camp camp and then camp again! Want to win - go assault my defences and march towards canister shots.
    You can try that, but a competent attacker will finish you pretty easily. A rifle unit can shoot from just outside canister range and kill the artillery crews, the only way to stop this is have brought an overwhelming amount of rifles (which means you don't have enough line or cavalry) or to stop camping, move forward and push the enemy back.

A good attacker maintains the initiative and forces the camper to respond to his moves, essentially dictating how the entire battle unfolds, which is a huge advantage. Furthermore, units that are standing still are much easier targets for artillery. That means if the camper wants to protect his troops from the attacker's artillery, his only choice is to use his own artillery against the attacker's artillery. But, that means his artillery won't be shooting at the attacker's troops as they advance on his position. So if the camper chooses to fire his artillery at the attacker's troops instead, the attacker still benefits because his artillery is then safe.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Fritzl View Post
    So you want a drop-in battle but when opponent just sit there with artillery, like hedgehog, you suddenly don't like it anymore, because you can't speed up time and thus artillery duel becomes insanely boring? Because that's what i will do - camp camp camp and then camp again! Want to win - go assault my defences and march towards canister shots.
    That will get you spanked pretty quickly against anyone with a bit of skill.

I am actually enjoying the drop in battles. I havent jumped into anyone elses campaign yet, but in my current campaign I think I have had 5 battles. The AI is decent but its no replacement for a live player.

I have been playing a campaign where I haven't played once against the AI. I either do a drop in battle or if its lop-sided I auto-resolve. It has been an awesome experience, dare I say the BEST tw experience I've had yet. Even playing a n/n campaign which I am doing right now is a challenge when pursued like this. You may get destroyed every now and then, but it is so satisfying when you crush another player and advance your campaign. This is the TW experience I've always wanted, difficult challenging battles.

Attached is a replay from a drop-in battle from my campaign if anybody is interested.
    Last edited by Rizzmond; February 27, 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aletoledo View Post
    I'm afraid that with this attitude we'll kill the drop-in feature. I suppose it's arguable we want to play these people, so it might be better to kill the feature then. However if we impose rules on our multiplayer matches (e.g. no fixed) then why can't they impose rules just the same?
    Then invite nothing but friends or those you trust into your game if you want house rules. When dealing online you roll the dice as to who you're going to get. Besides it's a feature put there to add challenge, people who want to steamroll should be playing easy/easy and not bothering with human players to begin with.
    I would rather have a community of competitive players looking for fun and challenging games then a community of "let me win" crybabies or achievement whores.
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

Luckily since i started my own campaign last night, the people who've dropped into my battles have all played properly. As long as enough people carry on doing drop ins this is such a great feature, glad i didn't give up on CA after crappy Empire after all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast