Thread: NTW Uniform and Uniform Anachronism' Thread.

Default NTW Uniform and Uniform Anachronism' Thread.

If you are an historian, expert or clever person who happens to know a lot about the Napoleonic era? Then help yourself and please post any anachronisms the soldiers in the game might be wearing and correct those errors with the correct data; should there be alternate historic uniforms certain units in the game might have, please post them .

*No Spam Please*

Example:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Napoleon Total War; Austrian Uhlan.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Austrian Cuirassier and Uhlan Uniforms.

Last edited by Emilio Aguinaldo; February 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

Default Re: NTW Uniform and Uniform Anachronism' Thread.

French Dragons de l'impératrice

Try the Napoleonic Mod for ETW

Chasseurs de la Garde(light infantry). Looks like Old grenadier but with a different bearskin.

Try the Napoleonic Mod for ETW

The Pavlovsk Grenadiers mitre caps are pretty bleh.
    http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napole...om/img/u17.jpg
    http://georgianworld.tripod.com/russ...orms/cap12.jpg
    Not the best pics, but you can see that they don't have some sort of weird twirly thing in place of an eagle. I dunno were they came up with that design...

Swedish line infantry should have the hats their militia are wearing. They adopted kiver-style shakos in 1815, and I think that look makes them lose their unique feel.

I seem to recall something about the British royal artillery wearing blue as well, although I'm not sure about this period...

I'll post some more when I can go in and take a good look at some units. This is just off the top of my head.

Also, I believe that it was mentioned in a topic in the general board that Austrian line infantry wore a helmet up until 1809. That might be something to look at.

For Russia:
    Cavalry:
    -Pavlograd Hussars: These guys look good enough. Cuffs/collars should be turquoise, though, not green.

-Hussars: Initially, I'd say that a color shift is in order. I don't think any Hussar regiment wore those colors. Alternative color schemes might be:
    Alexandria Hussars: Black pants, jacket, and pelisse. Red collars/cuffs with white buttons.
    Izoum Hussars: Dark blue pants and pelisse, red jacket, dark blue cuffs/collars and gold buttons.

Hussar saddle blankets should match their pelisse in color for the main color, and the edging should match their buttons.

-Chevalier Guard: The red on their saddles should be blue, and the black part should be red. They should also wear the same helmet as regular cuirassiers, or the regular cuirassiers should wear their helmet. They're just different models of the standard helmet, although for some reaosn the chevalier guard get the older model. Go figure
    Also, they should have a gold double-bar (shaped like a fancy roman-numeral 2) on their collar, as a guards unit.
    (Quick addition: They're wearing the colors of the Horse Guard regiment...CA just got their regiments mixed up )

-Cuirassiers: As I recall, all the Russian cuirassier regiments were guard regiments at the time, and these guys appear to be wearing Astrakhan regiment colors (yellow collars). So their saddles should be primarily yellow with white borders. Other options include blue, red, black or orange facings with similarly colored saddles.

-Lifeguard Horse: Accurate except for the helmet issue I mentioned earlier.

-Dragoons: Saddle is inaccurate, the dragoons had a more rounded saddle, which was primarily green with its edges done in the colors of the regiments facings. In this case the dragoons appear to be Irkutsk regiment, which would mean white facings all round. Their helmets are also incorrect, Dragoon helmets were slightly different from cuirassier helmets, the 'fin' being shorter, it didn't extend in front of the visor, and the front brass plate being smaller.

-Uhlans: I'll have to look this one up, but I suspect that saddle will require attention.

-Cossacks: Mostly didn't wear uniforms, so I can't really comment

-Mounted rifles: I'm pretty sure are Panzerfaunts.

Infantry:

Jaegers: Jaegers in 1812 had white trousers. The left shoulder cross-strap should be replaced with a greatcoat roll as seen on the regular line infantry. They shouldn't have moustaches. They SHOULD have a single-flame grenade shako ornament

Line infantry: Mostly acceptable, the shako pip is incorrect, it should be a smaller, ovoid, goldish button and should not have that strap coming off of it. As with jaegers, they should have a single-flame grenade shako ornament.

Grenadiers: Shako ornament is wrong. It should be a grenade with three flames (two sideways, one up). Shako pip is wrong as above and strap should be removed. The plumes should look neater. No self-respecting grenadiers stuck feather dusters in their hats.

Pavlovsk Grenadiers: As mentioned, their mitre caps need to be fixed. A proper eagle would be nice. I can't find a decent image with a confirmable date, but I believe the Pavlovsk grenadiers retained, along with the mitre cap, the 18th century uniforms, which I can provide an image of if requested. As I stated in the NTW general forum, the Pavlovsk officer NOT wearing the mitre cap is accurate, officers of the regiment wore shakos, although the fixes mentioned for the grenadiers above should be applied. Their collar bars should be silver.

Lifeguard foot: FIX THE DAMN SHAKO ORNAMENT PLEASE. That thing is even worse than the Pavlovsk Grenadiers funky eagle thing. It should be a two headed eagle, the right head lower than the left. Their shako pip should also, I believe, be solid red. Plumes need to be fixed as well. The central red portion of their uniform should extend, starting at about armpit level, to their shoulders.

My neck now hurts from looking back and forth between computer screens, so it's time to take a break.

Yes, I'm also annoyed by this. CA says that gameplay winns over historical accuracy, but sence when is uniforms gameplay?

My biggest issue with NTW is just uniform, many is inaccurate and many is what the unit would ware on parade, not on campaign... Then there's the lack of kit. Back packs? Sure but what about water canteens, bayonette scabbards, belts etc...

All those details would made wonders.