Thread: Tips for beginners?

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Tips for beginners?

I played this mod for the first time yesterday. Took the kingdom of Minos (Crete) to start out with.
    Some things I like about the mod so far:

• Excellent intro! Gets ya in the mood to play and conquer!
    • Awesome campaign map! Its nice to see something different then other mods. It covers most of the hellenistic area which I like.
    • Great looking units (didnt play much battles yet, but as far as i've seen it looks great!)
    • Special heroes!
    • Big Greek alliance!

Some stuff I dont like:

• Difficult Greek names: I know its all part of the mod and its better for the overall theme. But I'm realy having difficulties remembering all those greek words and meanings. I'm much into Greek history though, but i'm not quite good in all those names.

Now, something else. The reason I started this topic is because I'm having financial problems with my campaign. As Minos, you have two grand armies over at Troy. I decided to use one army to sail back to Minos and conquer some islands in between to get more territory. One army remained near Troy. But I'm really getting into the red with my money.

Any tips for beginners to deal with it? Is it best to attack Troy right from the start ....or is it better to develop your economy and disband some of the armies?

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Tips for beginners?

i personally would disband them
    even if you take troy the likelyhood of losing it one of your allies when they turn on you is high
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    i personally would disband them
    even if you take troy the likelyhood of losing it one of your allies when they turn on you is high
    That may be the correct approach for any game other than this one. THIS IS THE TROJAN WAR! The Greek factions knew it wasn't in their best interests to fight the war (except Agamemnon and Menelaos). Hell, Achilleus knew he was going to die!

So why did they do it? Glory and honour that's why! Don't play with the cold-hearted attitude of the experienced gamer. Play with spirit. I'd be prepared to bet you'll have more fun fighting for Troy and losing, than selling-out and disbanding to attack Greece!

OK, rant over. But seriously, this game is about the legend - play it in the right spirit!

People complain when games are too easy and when somebody comes up with a challenging mod they don't like it because it is hard lol. It is supposed to be a challenge but when you consider the worse case scenario - where your armies at troy are wiped out - your economy will start to recover by itself without that drain on it, so don't worry too much about it.

The minoans are in a great position when attacking troy. They can go north, or south or east. There are two trojan settlements very close to the minoan landing zone. The forces you start with should be more than capable of securing them. Once you have them build traders and roads and the income will start to come in. Don't worry about crete at the start, worry about troy. If you build a successful beachhead there then you will have a great foundation - the minoans are in an unusually strong position compared to some of the smaller greek nations.

Don't listen to martin, he cheats

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Haha, alright then!

Well, I only dispatched one army back to Crete. But I make several stops at islands I come across. There's some nice settlements ready to be taken over. The other army is still at Troy, fighting!
    So I'm doing what I feel what's best for my kingdom and for the other Greeks.

I do like a challenge off course, but getting in financial problems is something I never had in my former campaigns in other mods. So that bit kinda worried me.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Well, don't let it bother you too much. Like Zhuge says, once you start losing troops in battles, your economy will right itself eventually.

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

I am now 19000 in debt.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith Darksea View Post
    Well, don't let it bother you too much. Like Zhuge says, once you start losing troops in battles, your economy will right itself eventually.
    try and explain that to your soldiers
    and its only cheating if im the only one that benefits, my way benefits every faction
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

What happened to the Oath of Tyndareus?

Apparently around here oaths aren't honoured as they were in bronze age Greece...
    What is the world coming to?

The mod covers more than just the trojan war.

WOOOOO! 32000 in debt!

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    WOOOOO! 32000 in debt!
    Woot! Let's celebrate the collapse of the kingdom of Rofl Copter!

It s like listening to the UK's economic news - the debt just keeps getting bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang View Post
    It s like listening to the UK's economic news - the debt just keeps getting bigger.
    The US isn't any better...

Nor Canada. Lets just be thankful I'm not in charge...

5k in positive; Greek alliance collapsed, and my Odysseus has returned home in time to deal with those pesky suitors -- but not before planting seeds of the house of Laertes on Lesbos and in the Aegean. Diomedes and Agamemnon lead a mighty war-host against Ithaca, but shall collapse; already the House of Tydeus falls back, and Menelaos cowers in Sparte.

May victory come to the blessed of Zeus and his line. There shall be a new king in Mycenae!

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL Copter View Post
    Nor Canada. Lets just be thankful I'm not in charge...
    The USA situation is looking better and better!