Thread: Russia in NTW.

{GrailKnight}'s Avatar Senator

Default Russia in NTW.

I am definitely going to get this game But not just yet, though i want to know, how does Russia fare in NTW MP? From what i read they weren't all that good in ETW.... so how good are they in NTW?

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Russia in NTW.

well in NTW their main strength is artillery. although i still havent played the game

they have this crazy 20lber and a LOT of cavalry

{GrailKnight}'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by JLea View Post
    they have this crazy 20lber and a LOT of cavalry
    So would you say they are a "top faction"?

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

well considering they were probably napoleons largest opponent with the austrians historically and theyre one of the 5 main factions, yes

Their smexy artillery just obliterates everything... EVERYTHING.

LiN's Avatar Tiro

More like their artillery misses everything. Good thing about russia is that this time, their linemen have more morale than other nations. France has 6 for fusiliers but Russia has 7 for musketman. They also have some of the best cavalry.

hannibalic's Avatar Libertus

I think they were much better in etw. all they really have now is the unicorns and grenadiers. they have decent cavalry and i like the cossacks with nothing but a great charge for 440.

Agree with everything Lin said. Morale of their line infantry, great cavalry, and some cheap units that help you save money to get more expensive elite Russian units - I would say they are a "top faction."
    If, however, the enemy should display a capacity for resistance against all human expectations, then the battalions must attack when they are within twenty paces, or better still, within ten paces, and give the enemy a strong volley in the face. - Frederick II, the Great

In ETW their Line inf sucked in all stats, except for meelee. In NTW they got advantage in morale, which is far mnore important than meelee. Main advantage of faction- cossack and 20lb-Unicorn. First one cheap as hell, second is like cannon, but with carcass shot. So when artillery duel starts, you hit him with cannonballs, and he's barraging you with AoE carcass.
    A battery of this monsters could wipe entire regiments in one volley.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    - W. Churchill

hannibalic's Avatar Libertus

I find shooting to be a pretty important skill when it comes to line infantry. In both games Russian line's only strength is their melee. They have more morale now but weaker melee. All that means to me is it takes slightly longer to wipe out Russsian line in a firefight in NTW. I haven't really done an in depth comparison but they seem to be just as bad if not worse at shooting than they were in ETW. I played with them in a 1v1 against a good player. I brought a 20lb and a 10lb unicorn. I can't remeber the map name, but it was one with a hill in the center but not one of the terrible maps. I think he had some artillery, but I started pounding him as soon as was in range which made him attack immeadiatey. The unicorns still managed to get almost 800 kills between the two of them. I was kinda camping to get the most out of my unicorns so i also got the first volley and even after taking all that damage, he was still able to beat my line. I'm sure I made some mistakes here and there that might of contributed to the loss, I can't remeber the details, but I think it says a lot about Russian line.

blonkers1234's Avatar Senator

3 unicorns on large obliterate anything in their way, 550 range means they can destroy any of the opponents artillery before their even set up to fire, their accuracy ability turns them into laser guided rockets and explosions can wipe out half a unit in one go.
    Apart from that their pretty decent, with cossaks being some good quality/cost troops. They dont have rifles but rifles aren't as strong as they were in ETW and are largely an optional choice now(unless grassy flatlands).
    So all in all russia is quite average in all other terms except artillery which theirs is so powerful its not funny.