Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Vs. Empire

Double A's Avatar person man

Default Re: Napoleon Vs. Empire

Half the game is winter because a turn is half a year. Rome had a lot more time to cover than Nappy and Shogun.

M2 is weird, but it can be justified if you say one turn is 1.5 years and then the next is 2.5, but hey, generals still age half a year, so I doubt you need to justify it to yourself when a more important mechanic makes literally no sense.

I dunno how long turns are for the other games.
    Jon had taken Donal and Benjen’s advice to heart: Sam may be fat and pathetic, but he is still a member of the watch, and one of the few black brothers who isn't a rapist or thief. (out of context, this sounds ridiculously racist)
    super awesome music thing | political profile
    GSTK member - Join today! (We're restarting. Again.)

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

I like empires battlefields more and thats about it, and i dislike this dusty effect Napoleon has, but everything else goes for Napoleon.
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Celareon View Post
    Empire:

+Massive, 3 Theater World (Although crippled by small # of provinces)
    +Many different nations to choose from (Sharing the same bland, cookie cutter format albeit)
    +Fire by Rank
    +Open Ended Campaign

-AI (Campaign and Battle)
    -Bugs (Half finished on release and I'm being kind)
    -Same units for each army mostly
    -Same ships for each navy
    -Doesn't feel polished (Wonder why)

Napoleon:

+Better AI
    +More army differentiation
    +Attrition and Supply System
    +More, smaller regions
    +Better art design (completely subjective, but the 'portraits' in ETW were horrible)
    +Physically larger campaign map
    +Enhanced GFX engine

-Smaller scope
    -Cost high for what is essentially a glorified expansion
    -little, if any integration or enhancement with/for its parent game, ETW
    -Only 4 nations to choose from in GC
    -was developed and released during a time when CA should have been focusing all its energy on repairing and upgrading Empire

$.10
    update ur copy of ETW to 1.6 version.

Taraphir's Avatar Semisalis

We should also pay attention to the fact that Napoleon is far more scripted than Empire Total War
    and therefore restricts the course of the game somehow. In that regard Empire is much more open in structure.

Quote Originally Posted by xX_iCeD_Xx View Post
    120% better agree. More units, beautiful music and all around more polished.
    I love Empire, but - particularly in battle - the music is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by noverum View Post
    I love Empire, but - particularly in battle - the music is poor.
    I believe that is very much a matter of taste.

DeValiere's Avatar Biarchus
    Not sure, but there's gravity so that's a good start...

Meh. Music is OK. I dial it down anyway. Prefer the sound of cannon!!!!
    Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. ..And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"-- with his mouth.
    Mark Twain - What Is Man?

Napoleon should have been an Addon for Empire Total War in the first place
    bringing together all technical advances and a global-scale campaign map into one great game.

Creative Assembly left that work to the Modding Community!
    Last edited by Taraphir; March 02, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

DeValiere's Avatar Biarchus
    Not sure, but there's gravity so that's a good start...

Quote Originally Posted by Taraphir View Post
    Napoleon should have been an Addon for Empire Total War in the first place
    bringing together all technical advances and a global-scale campaign map into one great game.

Creative Assembly left that work to the Modding Community!
    Well, they've more or less done it again with Fall of the Samurai for Shogun 2 - it's stand alone as well.

Interestingly tho, my friend bought NTW because that was all he wanted to play but his PC wouldn't cope with the graphics and he's too tight to buy a new one! ). I do agree though that it would have been good to see ETW retrofited with NTW's features and improvements. That would have been a good way to make partial amends for the fact Empire was never really finished to begin with.
    Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out...and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel. ..And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man"-- with his mouth.
    Mark Twain - What Is Man?

The retrieval of Empire and Napoleon Total War´s honor is now the concern of the modding community!

Quote Originally Posted by Celareon View Post
    Empire:

+Massive, 3 Theater World (Although crippled by small # of provinces)
    +Many different nations to choose from (Sharing the same bland, cookie cutter format albeit)
    +Fire by Rank
    +Open Ended Campaign

-AI (Campaign and Battle)
    -Same units for each army mostly
    -Same ships for each navy

Napoleon:

+Better AI
    +More army differentiation
    +Attrition and Supply System
    +More, smaller regions
    +Better art design (completely subjective, but the 'portraits' in ETW were horrible)
    +Physically larger campaign map
    +Enhanced GFX engine

-Smaller scope
    -Cost high for what is essentially a glorified expansion
    -little, if any integration or enhancement with/for its parent game, ETW
    -Only 4 nations to choose from in GC
    -was developed and released during a time when CA should have been focusing all its energy on repairing and upgrading Empire

$.10
    fixed

Is Empire or Napoleon more approachable for modding attempts? I so far have only modded Empire Total War to some minor extent
    and that of course only thanks to the availability of excellent tools made by members of the community. How do the experts
    evaluate the modding accessibility of the afore-mentioned Total War Games?
    Last edited by Taraphir; March 07, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

So Napoleon would be like Kingdoms (smaller campaigns) compared to Empire?

And what if we add mods to Empire (to add, for example, supply system? Which mods have it?

It would be good that someone edited the first post to add FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by xxzodiacxx01 View Post
    So Napoleon would be like Kingdoms (smaller campaigns) compared to Empire?

And what if we add mods to Empire (to add, for example, supply system? Which mods have it?

It would be good that someone edited the first post to add FAQ
    I´m certain the community in future will find new options to alter Empire Total War as well as Napoleon and as a result allow moddingg to thrive. Perhaps even a supply system can be added to Empire Total War some day. Both games will persist much longer than some expect thanks to
    the modding community and I´m sure the best things are still to come!
    Last edited by Taraphir; March 12, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Empire's theatres of war were ridiculous. Even with Darth you had fleets of the British Empire just around London and in the american and indian theatres there was virtually noone to sail exc. singular confused ships. And the settlements were of little value for income. Nothing to remind of colonial importance. It is probably why they were omitted in NTW. There was little fun from them. While a change to make the colonies worth will probably require a major rework of the TW game philosophy/engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Empire's theatres of war were ridiculous. Even with Darth you had fleets of the British Empire just around London and in the american and indian theatres there was virtually noone to sail exc. singular confused ships. And the settlements were of little value for income. Nothing to remind of colonial importance. It is probably why they were omitted in NTW. There was little fun from them. While a change to make the colonies worth will probably require a major rework of the TW game philosophy/engine.
    Try to play the United Provinces in Empire Total War. The country is financially very much depending on open trade rotes to her colonies.
    In my experience the colonial territories are very relevant to certain Nations in Empire Total War and somehow mirror the real importance of colonies in the 18th century. In fact it was a major mistake by Creative Assembly not to keep Empire Total Wars Map and improve on it. One should remember that the napoleonic war was the first real world war and also waged in the overseas territories because of their economic significance at the time.

=Prince Nuada='s Avatar Semisalis

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, but why not make a Napoleonic-Era mod for ETW?
    I'm sure it can be done.
    I mean, it may be that you don't quite get the same degree of quality which you get from NTW, but this is compensated for by the larger scope of ETW.
    The Americans would feature in this period as two seperate entities (the North and the South), but by game's end the revolution would be over and they will once again be United States.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

I've gotta say I really enjoyed both games and they are both pretty different. Empire has such great scale and a diversity of things that can happen while with Napoleon is much more polished and the new technology makes the game very enjoyable.

I would say Napoleon is better for online play while Empire has more replay value.

Quote Originally Posted by =Prince Nuada= View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been suggested, but why not make a Napoleonic-Era mod for ETW?
    I'm sure it can be done.
    I mean, it may be that you don't quite get the same degree of quality which you get from NTW, but this is compensated for by the larger scope of ETW.
    The Americans would feature in this period as two seperate entities (the North and the South), but by game's end the revolution would be over and they will once again be United States.
    Bethencourt is modelling and texturing Napoleonic Era units for Empire TotalWar at present.
    Also Campaign map research seems to be going better than expected even without help from Creative Assembly:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...355187&page=65

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Taraphir View Post
    Also Campaign map research seems to be going better than expected even without help from Creative Assembly:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...355187&page=65
    That is great news indeed.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast