Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Napoleon Vs. Empire

Ahlerich's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Napoleon Vs. Empire

scripted tw games turn me off. never really played one since rtw. so i skipped napoleon and vote for empire if bought as a 75% deal

waswar's Avatar Libertus

After having both games, here are some advantages for both of them.
    Empire:
    -Better graphics
    -Realistick paced combat
    -Better uniforms
    -The units don't look the same like the endless wave of shako in Napoleon
    -The units have HAIR
    -A difference between the drummer, officer, seargent, then the rest of the regiment.
    -Fire by rank
    -Platoon/wave firing
    -American/indian continents
    -The difference between cahractars is bigger than jsut hair color.
    Napoleon:
    -Better artillery effects
    -Flying infantrymen ragdoll
    -Multiplayer seiges

Verdict:Empire, most definitely.

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by waswar View Post
    Empire:
    -Better graphics
    -Realistick paced combat
    -Better uniforms
    -The units have HAIR
    -A difference between the drummer, officer, seargent, then the rest of the regiment.
    -Fire by rank
    -Platoon/wave firing
    Napoleon:
    -Multiplayer seiges

hmm empire got better grafics? what planet are u from? Napoleon looks 10 times better and it flows better (less lagg)

Empire:
    -Better graphics
    -Realistick paced combat
    -Better uniforms
    -The units have HAIR
    -Fire by rank
    -Platoon/wave firing
    Napoleon:
    -Multiplayer seiges

EPIC FAIL TROLL.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

I'd easily pick Empire Total War. Most of my life I wanted a game which I can call "Risk" style RTS with a world map lots of factions in a 18th or 19th Century field of battle, and have Real Time battles. I do not mind the very Generic style factions, in fact I think it helps the game in individual regions of the world, some regions have weaker average units than others which is loved, for example India how line infantry can not rank fire and such, so you have to play your battles differently to defeat say a Euro invading army or you're invading a Euro faction held region.

The only irritation on Empires for me was that fact that some factions really... were given toys that they should not been allowed to have. native Americans with artillery? Maratha has a Heavy First Rate!? *looks at Lumi's largest ship* I was not fast enough on the tech cusre you Maratha and you're billion dollar economy once you capture all of India!

Napoleon... really just does not have the things I enjoy about Empires, most of the things people dislike about Empires are things I really do not care about that much. I can live with bugs, I accept the fact that there is no such thing as good AI, so no point crying about it the dumber the better!! At least they do not seem like Jedis when they're dumb and know everything you're planning and every time you click when they are brick like dumb, I miss the brick like dumb AI when Empire came out, actually thought they were actually kinda harder back then, a lot less running around like a headless chicken reacting to every move I make trying to counter in massive failed attempts not knowing how to counter but still reacts exausting their soldiers making them easy to route. making even easier victories than if they would of just stood there and let me march up to them in a shootout. xD
    Last edited by Lumina; December 02, 2010 at 10:24 PM.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

John Churchill's Avatar Foederatus

I believe Empire is a better game for many of the reasons stated above. I also feel the graphics are better. In NTW they are too stylized and cartoonish, although the artillery effects are better. The idea of NTW wasn't bad, but they changed all the things I liked about Empire: The scope, the graphics, the choice to play it as you saw fit. In NTW the AI is better but they cut everything way down and force you to play it like history played out or at least under the same circumstances.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

disregard.

For me it's close for which game I like better:

EMPIRE TOTAL WAR PROS AND CONS
    I've definitely logged more hours on ETW
    I love the massive map, all the factions and the "Risk" kinda feel to it
    I love the fire-by-rank feature
    The initial limited "unique" units and then having to pay money to get more diversity is kinda lame... although the DLC units ARE pretty sweet.
    The AI sucks
    Rather limited "effects" compared to NTW (shake, explosions, smoke etc.)
    Graphics while great, aren't as impressive as NTW

(I really have no idea what the people who say ETW has better graphics are talking about, I mean no offense but they really need to check out their computer or their eyes haha)

NTW PROS AND CONS
    Smaller scope and time-frame
    More scripted play, time constraints on the campaigns may be annoying to some.
    I like the time period better.
    Cooler units, more diverse skins and you don't need to pay cash to have this.
    Better AI, it's no Deep Blue but better none the less.
    Grand campaign while smaller scale than ETW is still quite large.
    Graphics and effects are incredible, easily one of the prettiest games ever made. Right up there with Crysis and the Homeworld series in my opinion.
    Better optimized than ETW for people who might have had trouble with it.

Those are the big things I can think of, all in all it's close but I like NTW better. They really are both freakin' FUNNNNNN games I don't understand why some people so brutally hate on 'em. Sure they are no RTW but they aren't rushed, piece of crap games like some make it sound.
    Last edited by The Doubtful Guest; December 06, 2010 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by syeung04 View Post
    Both of you really need to read up on you chinese history. there was only ever 1 dynasty. SONG, DUH! jin were barbarians who forced the song to give up parts of their land. Genghis/ his sons came in offering to wipe out the Jing for the Song's then turned around and killed them both. But only Song is considered a dynasty. Cos there's only ever one dynasty at once.
    and response to the idiot who said caesar didnt have an empire. ARE you blind or illiterate, he took Gaul with his triumvate, between him pompey and craussus. Took Gaul and went on to england, which had never been done beofre. His records also say that his tenth legion destroyed gauls hundred times his number. He also quelled the spartacus rebellion- greatest slave rebellion ever. Then went on to chase Pompey across the known world at the time, destroyed the egyptian empire and replaced the king with his sex slave cleopatra. I'd say thats quite a legendary life.
    You really need to read up on your history of the Roman Republic.

Caesar conquered Gaul (further gaul, more specifically). Part of Gaul was already under the Roman yoke for a long time. And Pompey and Crassus were not part of that campaign. It was Caesar's campaign.

Crassus quelled the Spartacan rebellion, not Caesar. Caesar was not part of that.

Cleopatra wasn't a sex slave, she was a Queen, a monarch,who slept with Caesar whilst he was in Egypt as Rome's highest representative in the power struggle over the Egyptian monarchy, and bore him a son.

Also somebody said that when Caesar went to war against Pompey, he was putting down a rebellion. Actually Caesar was the one who rebelled, when he brought his army with him across the Rubicon which signified Caesar's rebellion against the Roman senate. Hence the term 'crossing the Rubicon' to signify an irreversable act. However from Caesar's perspective, you can argue that he had been forced into rebelling and he had been forced into a corner by Pompey's senate faction (along with Cato, Cicero etc) who were determined to bring him down and he was left with the choice of failure, disgrace, poverty and exile; or a civil war, and he chose the latter as the only alternative. Up until that point Caesar had been utterly above any dirty tricks, cheating, illegality or unorthodoxy throughout his whole career - until that point when he crossed the Rubicon.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Tango12345♔ View Post
    Reason number one why I am sticking with ETW atm...
    I just bought ETW two days ago and I'm loving it, don't think I'll move for Napoleon anytime soon either. I read that all the patching up to 1.6 helped make the game more stable, I'm glad I waited a bit because I haven't had any problems thus far on my low-end laptop. To be fair, some people prefer a more Eurocentric focus in strategy games and I can see how they'd be hyped for Napoleon.
    Last edited by williss; December 12, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

ETW with NTW graphics for me.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

ETW for the larger timeframe. With Darthmod, it has better AI than NTW.

I miss the liberate cities of NTW though... and especially sacking cities for cash.
    In ETW if you want a protectorate out of a city you have to wait for the rebels to conquer it and then make them protectorate. Easily 4 turns if not more. And there's the chance the rebels will tell you to #### off.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

ETW for scope and gameplay (avec Darthmod) and diversity of theatres...NTW for the graphics and animations.

grandpa's Avatar Elite Bytebumbler

Empire, all the way, preferrably with one of the awesome mods out there. My sig tells which one I prefer, but there are some really good ones out there. Its just so much more of an grand scale in my opinion. As for the differences, the previous postes hit just about every argument out there.

"Work smart or be tuff", American Inventor Herbert Willaims. An amazing man. Inventor of the Openhydro Tidal energy machine, located in Orkney Islands. www.openhydro.com

It doesn't cost a dime to be nice yet has the highest return
    on investment. grandpa

Halvars-XII's Avatar Civis

EMPIRE!!!

The feeling of world domination is much greater. You also have more nations to conquer! and play as!
    If we just could get more intelligent AI in Empire and smaller regions, it would have been EPIC!

Soon I have 666hrs play time!

Halvars, guide us, Halvars, teach us, Halvars protect us. In your light we thrive, in your grace, we find security, to your wisdom, we become humble, we live only to serve, Our lives are yours.

waswar's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian121 View Post
    EPIC FAIL TROLL.
    You are a fool for calling me a troll, simply because I told TRUTHFUl differences from both games.PLease, go paly your pathetic game and die, no one wants you in the Total WAr center.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    ETW for the larger timeframe. With Darthmod, it has better AI than NTW.

I miss the liberate cities of NTW though... and especially sacking cities for cash.
    In ETW if you want a protectorate out of a city you have to wait for the rebels to conquer it and then make them protectorate. Easily 4 turns if not more. And there's the chance the rebels will tell you to #### off.
    I absolutely LOATHE waiting two turns to recruit line infantry units in NTW by the way. And as for the world map, it's what truly makes Empire an encapsulating game. Napoleon just feels too... crowded when everyone is duking it out in one small arena. As for unit stats, I have to say I hat BOTH of them. In our ROW forum we were talking about how light infantry pertains to accuracy NOT RANGE. Also, "70" range is quite honestly not realistic. Most military commanders of the day would have stopped and fired a volley, albeit perhaps less effective, well before that point. All I can say is, THANK GOD FOR DARTHMOD!!!

Would it have been better to call it Napoleonic Total war?
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition

You are a fool for calling me a troll, simply because I told TRUTHFUl differences from both games.PLease, go paly your pathetic game and die, no one wants you in the Total WAr center.

Kick yourself. TROLL.

You cant be serious with this

Empire:
    -Better graphics
    -Realistick paced combat
    -Better uniforms
    Last edited by Praetorian121; December 21, 2010 at 03:18 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast