Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of Life

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default Meaning of Life

Well what is the meaning of life? If you dont believe in a divine purpose then surley you have a personal one. And yes I believe this question is completely personal..

I see it as ones spiritual journey. This is not entirely religious either. We can hardly ever change the circumtances in our lives, but we can change our outlook. I see ones outlook on life as the most vital thing. If you view things as bad then your life will most likely be bad, atleast to you. So what are your thoughts on this?

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

aside from the obvious one.... Survival.

On a personal note - To lead a good life and not let my family and friends down. To see as much of the world as practical...

Not very deep.

i have a spiritual and a personal meaning, and i want to make the most out of it as i can. Life is just a flicker of light in the backdrop of eternity, so with the little time we have we need to maximize it as much as possible
    "Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters." - Alexander the Great
    "I begin by taking. I shall find scholars later to demonstrate my perfect right." - Frederick (II) the Great
    "Strike an enemy once and for all. Let him cease to exist as a tribe or he will live to fly in your throat again" -Shaka, King of the Zulu
    TRU

The meaning of life is the search for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire
    I have consumed about forty years of my pilgrimage in two or three corners of the world, seeking the philosopher's stone called truth.
    Or, to quote a philosopher more dear to us;

Quote Originally Posted by Siblesz in Mi Lucha
    I am but a man between billions of others. I am but a spot of dirt in the universe. I know this… I know that my life is meaningless, and that your lives, too, are meaningless ... We, as humans, all have this basic need deep within our souls. We desire truth. Some desire more limited truth, while others strive to seek truths that can never be found. But most of us leave with nothing.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

As a christian (and I don't want to start a religious debate here) I believe the meaning of my life is to live for god.

That's my simple belief.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

(oh shut up, as if we couldn't have a meaning of life thread without someone posting it )
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Ah, yes that is the true meaning of life! But, if only we could know what it means.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Lmao, go HHGTTG!
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

To live, reproduce and die?

We should search for our own meaning. In this time and age, there is no universal meaning of life. All we have to do is realize we are nothing. When we do, a whole slew of new opportunities will arise.

Therefore, I believe my meaning is the search of meaning itself. I don't think I accept the fact that I am pretty insignificant, but sooner or later I'll have to. And then something will really hit the fan.
    Last edited by Dr. X; September 24, 2005 at 10:38 PM.
    What can change the nature of a man?

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Life has no "meaning", only a purpose. A meaning of life suggests some inherent purpose, rather than a personaly formulated purpose; which will change and shift as one ages (or so I'm told). While free will and the ability to choose exist, there can be no meaning to life.

Another way to look at it, that unfortunately produces the same result, is that we are all going to die; we are a brief spark of life in the midst of a black eternity, about which we can do nothing;one day, the world will be destroyed, and all mankind will be dead, and nothing from this species will remain. f we could observe that point in time, the utter meaninglessness of our lives, our petty concerns, would become obvious; in the long run, we are all dead, and can do nothing about it.

I am a Christian, but I fail to understand the meaning or purpose to life. I do not understand why God forces us through this charade we call life when we will just end up in Heaven anyways. Or why create us, life and the universe at all? It makes no sense to me but of course, I don't exactly have a divine perspective.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

The meaning of life is death, simply.

Sulla's Avatar Sulla

What an utterly depressing view .

While I'm not sure there is a meaning to life I do try to believe in a more optimistic and positive one than just death.

Under the Patronage of the noble Senatorii Wild Bill Kelso
    Brother Of Necrobrit, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran and Oldgamer
    Patron of the Senatorii cunobelin & the CivitateLegio XX Valeria Victrix

Death is, as far as we know it, what makes life meaningful. And it might as well be much better than life. Socrates thought as such, at least.

I don't know about the meaning of life, but it's purpose is to suffer. No doubt about it.
    浪人 - 二天一

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon
    And and meaning are different. If death is the meaning of life, then (as Shakespeare put it), life is "full of sound and fury, and signifying nothing" (Macbeth, "tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow" speech). Life has no meaning, not even death. So its even more insignificant...

It is not certain that death means nothing. In truth, it might just be our perception of things which is biased.

Infact, it could be argued, that life is in preparation to what lies after death, whatever it is. A good life, is like a good beginning.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ummon
    It is not certain that death means nothing. In truth, it might just be our perception of things which is biased.

Infact, it could be argued, that life is in preparation to what lies after death, whatever it is. A good life, is like a good beginning.
    Or possibly this life is all we have, and thus we must live as such? If we live as though this life is all we have, and yet apply a good moral view, we cannot lose; for if God only cares about belief, then he is not worth believing in.
    Last edited by Ozymandias; September 26, 2005 at 12:43 PM.

Have Fun!
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

Patrician

That is exactly what I intend to do :wink:. But I see what you mean; however, does that count as a meaning of life, as it is transient rather than longer-term?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast