Thread: Drop in battles

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Default Drop in battles

Ive been trying to get into a drop in battle all night. I even started a campaign and tried to get people to drop in on em. Anybody playing these things?

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Drop in battles

some people have posted saying theyve done some

apparently u have to wait quite a while before someone clicks the magical button though

I waited about 4-5 minutes a couple of times with no success either. I think the single player guys are afraid of us.

I think you are going to have to wait a bit. As of right now only a precious few actually have the game fully installed. Some are caught in download hell on steam and others like myself are waiting for it to arrive in stores as it only shipped yesterday and won't be in eb games until noon today or whenever the truck arrives.

Of the lucky few with it installed they are mostly trying out the single player campaign for the first time.

I know though as soon as I get the game...and play through a decent bit on single player I will live off drop in battles.

Quote Originally Posted by aletoledo View Post
    I waited about 4-5 minutes a couple of times with no success either. I think the single player guys are afraid of us.
    this Remember, the game JUST came out within the past two days. Give time for people to download, learn how to play before feeling confident about enabling drop in battles. I'd say give it a week.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Apparently the Dev version I have will not link up with normal versions on multiplayer.

I am getting the standard version right now but Steam is slowwwww right now.

ive been trying all night too. nobody in lobby or chat. i wonder if mp is down right now. surely someone is having a mp campaign and its not even showing them right now. i played 2 drop ins today and they were beaut.

Andrews85's Avatar Libertus

I just tried and I connected to another players campaign but it was really laggy and the host left 2 mins into the battle. And the unit size was so small.

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Finally got a couple of drop in battles today and they are a lot of fun. Hopefully, docbroc is right and the drop in games increase in a week or so.

I had one last night as well, but I had a much better army than him (he overextended himself) and he asked me to let him win. I didn't want to start making people hate the drop in feature, so I mauled his forces and then retreated everyone off the field.

he asked me to let him win. I didn't want to start making people hate the drop in feature, so I mauled his forces and then retreated everyone off the field.
    Well if I meet people like that, it makes me hate the drop-in feature...
    clever solution to the dilemma though
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

I had one last night as well, but I had a much better army than him (he overextended himself) and he asked me to let him win. I didn't want to start making people hate the drop in feature, so I mauled his forces and then retreated everyone off the field.
    a true gentleman!!!

LOL... if i encounter that situation, i would simply write "no speaka d inglesssh"... LOL j/k

the problem is drop in battles default to small units, which in addition to changing the game dynamics, looks crappy. my heavy cavalry unit had like 15 men in it...

the other problem is that drop in battles are actually just custom battles half the time as far as I can tell (only played 2, both times they were custom battles, not campaign battles).
    He who travels in search of knowledge, walks in the path of god. -Muhammad

I was playing a single player campaign last night and up popped a prompt to join a drop in battle for a non friend. I joined and played and was brought right back into my campaign; but my question was, how did this happen? I thought I had to go into "total war online" and select drop in battles and it would search at that point?

Also on a separate note, I did not see an option to only drop into friends battles when under "Total war online" and "drop in battles"

So I realize we can allow only friends to drop into our SP campaigns but do we not have the option to only drop into our friends SP campaigns?

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by dmcheatw View Post
    the problem is drop in battles default to small units, which in addition to changing the game dynamics, looks crappy. my heavy cavalry unit had like 15 men in it...

the other problem is that drop in battles are actually just custom battles half the time as far as I can tell (only played 2, both times they were custom battles, not campaign battles).
    I played plenty of drop-in battles, in the Italian and Egyptian campaigns, with a friend of mine (setting the drop-in search option to "friends only"). We both had unit sizes set to ultra and the size stayed on ultra in the drop-in battles. I guess, the size might be defaulting to the smallest size set by any of the opponents.

WOOT! Drop in battles are great! I had one within the first :30 min of playing (my second or third battle actually) and I got handed my hat and kicked in the arse... fantastic.

It really ads a new dimention to the game. Now I am afraid of Drop Ins so I plan carefully and take fewer risks becasee I CAN LOSE! heheheheheheheh.... good feature....

Oh- and units stayed at the size I had them, and it took about a minute for someone to drop in.
    Last edited by Scooter; February 25, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcheatw View Post

I think that's the case when you select to play a drop-in battle but none is available; then it goes into a quick battle to avoid you waiting.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

so quick battles default to small units, but the campaign it uses whatever settings the host has? this is very good to know.
    He who travels in search of knowledge, walks in the path of god. -Muhammad

If you need photographic evidence, JLea chronicled a drop-in battle he had HERE. Looks like he's using Ultra unit sizes.

how do you join someones drop in battle but not on your own campaign?
    Kosovo ain't Serbia anymore so quit winging and get on with life