Thread: The Spaniard's Review of Aristeia

The Spaniard's Avatar Civis

Default The Spaniard's Review of Aristeia

This is so beautiful, this is the game I've always wanted. Ever since reading the Iliad and Odyssey I've wanted a game like this. Now that we all have it I'm at a loss for words . Everything is so good, the music, the atmosphere, that very interesting intro script, the initial deployment area for the war, the heroes, the animations, and everything else. Okay now that the overwhelming emotional outpour is done I'll get realistic.

The units: They are superb, enough to make me lower my graphic settings lol. The stylized appearance of each factions units fits with the overall design of each faction or alliance. I like how the Achaeans all share a similar base unit along with their own unique units. It prevents what one saw in the movie Troy where the greeks marched up to Troy in an unorganized manner with scattered Spartan and Ithacan troops throughout the whole formation. There is a sense of order and uniformity throughout the factions which fits with the stylized interpretation and with the what Agamemnon did in the Iliad with putting all the troops together by kingdom. An interesting note to point out in regards to the level of detail in research was when I played as the House of Peleus. The banners in-game had an ant on them, for those who know the word myrmidon roughly translates to "ant-people". Also was the fact that the Myrmidons themselves wear brown colored armor in line with what I've read.

The Heroes: While my opinion might be biased in the light of me being Aeneas, I like how some heroes match their description given in greek mythology, such as Achilles' blond hair and shield (the most detailed piece of armor I have yet to see in a TW game) as well as Paris' uniform. I can also see where the team got some of their inspirations from, like classical artwork, which is a plus. It is good as well to see often neglected heroes finally given a chance to show up.

The gameplay: The battles actually frustrate me to a point in the sense that they are harder than fighting a vanilla RTW battle. This is good because now I actually have to worry about the hero units seeing how well they preform. The AI doesn't do any crazy . I've never considered the idea of my army routing until now.

The Interface: For me this change makes the most difference when trying to distinguish this game from the base Alex TW. Changing the names in the tabs to terms such as "warrior host", the traits, and various other name changes fully immerses you with Homeric and ancient Greek terminology.

The music: Great piece of musical talent on the part of Marios. The battle music is intense and thankfully lacking any trace of James Horner's repetitive piece of music (for those who know what I'm talking about , that doesn't mean i don't like Horner's music, but originality in a game is good).

The atmosphere: The bronze looking world of Aristeia is by all means mythological in scale. I can't imagine what this game might look like with the vanilla RTW atmosphere.

Background research: By far this mod has a plethora of background information. So much so that one would be missing out if they don't read the background information or listen to the intro to the campaign. Every tiny detail about the characters and factions was taken into account whenever possible. As I previously mention, the symbolism when playing the House of Peleus is by far the most surprising work of background checking I have seen. (Note: this sub-category was added after the initial posting of this review; upon careful deliberation I felt that this missing category could not be excused away or it would leave out an important aspect of the mod. This is not to be mistaken as this reviewers bias addition but as a necessary point of critique.)

Points of interest:
    -surprised to find out Diomedes is Zhuge
    -intro is informative and original
    -Trojan War deployment is a great starting point.
    -individual heroes....can we really say anymore
    -intrigued by the knowledge of easter eggs hidden somewhere.
    - the battles are quite balanced and the AI is co-operative.

Negatives:
    Every game has those little and major bugs that end up getting fixed, so far i have not encountered any bugs, so its either me being lucky or a lack of bugs. Either way, what game doesn't have initial bugs.

For being a "beta" its bold, handles well, and is nothing like I've ever seen before in a mod. The game keeps its promises and looks to add to its glory with the prospect of future add-ons.
    Last edited by The Spaniard; February 23, 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Default Re: The Spaniard's Review of Aristeia

My god, I didn't expect a review that quick lol.

I'm really glad you like the 'feel' I went for. Your supportive comments are much appreciated and put my initial release nerves a bit more at ease.

Now I really must go to bed, hopefully not to have nightmares about it crashing on everybody and aradan getting lynched by rofl copter

It was interesting when you had released the Ajax bio, I immediately remembered this picture:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also when seeing the final Aeneas model I recalled this picture:

This in depth research is also one of the major pluses of this mod.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaniard View Post
    It was interesting when you had released the Ajax bio, I immediately remembered this picture:

Why does Diomedes look so old and ugly in that pic? Not the case in the mod. Really Zhuge? i had no idea It gives a new light to all the comments you made on the diomedes preview

I saw it in the credits, I wonder if that counts for an easter egg ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaniard View Post
    I saw it in the credits, I wonder if that counts for an easter egg ?
    Nope, that would be too easy lol.

p.s. - i didn't do a very good rendition of my face.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; February 24, 2010 at 05:39 AM.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang View Post
    p.s. - i didn't to a very good rendition of my face.
    Atleast the character that has your face didn't just get the "Male lover" Ancillary! Thats right, Orestes is out of the closet. Weirdly enough, he gained it after the battle where he killed Aeneas . . . good thing there is no necrafiliac trait aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolos View Post
    Atleast the character that has your face didn't just get the "Male lover" Ancillary! Thats right, Orestes is out of the closet. Weirdly enough, he gained it after the battle where he killed Aeneas . . . good thing there is no necrafiliac trait aswell
    Stay way from diomedes! lol

p.s. I hope you haven't been using the move_character cheat again
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; February 24, 2010 at 05:44 AM.

Nikolos's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge_Liang View Post
    Stay way from diomedes! lol

p.s. I hope you haven't been using the move_character cheat again
    Nope, this time I sailed there, arrived just in time to see Agamemnon die, and avenge him.