Thread: Information regarding Aristeia & 'Steam'

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Default Information regarding Aristeia & 'Steam'

Here is my guide for installing with steam. Mostly I copied it from TTW, but please sticky anyways!

I bought the Alexander version of steam (since I forgot to get the real one) and figured this out a little while ago. Firstoff, download Aristeia, and install it into your C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\rome total war alexander as you have probably have guessed. Now comes the harder part. Normally if you had a disk version of the game merely clicking on the Aristeia shortcut that is installed would work, but it targets itself at the RomeTW-Alex.exe directly, which wont work. So heres how to fix it. In Steam, make a desktop shortcut for RTW Alexander vanilla. Right click this and click on properties. Under target it should say something like:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 4770

But yours may be different, dont use mine. Copy this. Now right click your Aristeia shortcut (or any, it doesnt really matter) and paste this over what is written in target. Leave a space and paste this:

-nm -show_err -mod:aristeia

And you'll have something like:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia

If you are very lazy you can copy paste mine, but I wouldnt...

If you have problems please see the instructions below...

With New Steam Update:-

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Guide:

1. open steam.
    2. right click on Rome: total war - Alexander.
    3. click properties.
    4. Under General tap there should be something called "set launch options..."
    5. write this "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" without the quote marks. then OK.
    6. Go to the Updates Tab next to General. Open the slide down and click on "Do not automatically update this game" and then close in right corner.
    7. run the game via Rome: total war - Alexander in steam.
    (8, not a must). IF you want to play Rome total war - Alexander, just delete "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" and copy it to a notebook on desktop or something, so if you want to play it you can just follow this guide again.

Have fun playing!

Note: I used "-applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia" from ROFL Copters guide.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; May 10, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: updated info

Default Re: Aristeia and Steam

Thank you!

What advantages does playing the game under Steam provide?
    "What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
    Don't we make ya laugh? Aren't we freakin' funny?" - CPT Spaulding in Devil's Rejects

Absolutely nothing. This thread just tells you how to use it if you have only it and not the regular game.

With the new steam update I can't do this.

It doesn't create shortcuts, as I was used to, but URL shortcuts. Which still launches the game, Alexander... But their is no target in the proprieties. Just a URL with this steam://rungameid/4770.

And it doesn't work as instructed.

I would assume it would work in the same way, did you try putting -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia after it?

Yes, I did. It wouldn't even let me apply or click okay, it tells me it isn't a valid destination.

I've made sure there was a space, double checked everything there is, and nothing.

It is strange too, because when I make the shortcut(And I've done it like five times, even after a restart) It doesn't even show the Alexander symbol. Just a blank page, like it doesn't have the program to run it. But if you double click it, it still launches Alexander fine.

Thats weird. Try copying exactly what my shortcut has and see if it works.

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia

this doesnt work anymore. the new steam shortcuts are just urls. im not sure that steam hates everyone.
    ill edit if i get it to work somehow.

EDIT :
    Hey i got it to work. this method sadly doesnt work so i will post the new way to do it in another thread. will be linking.
    Last edited by moizzz; May 10, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

Default Re: Information regarding Aristeia & 'Steam'

I have windows 7 I think it different for me. I have done what you said but, do you know how to do it for 7 I have no idea

When I open the rome total war alexander it just ends at alexander". I see no 4770 or any numbers..

Icon10 Re: Information regarding Aristeia & 'Steam'

OK, I have downloaded Aristeia; have read & copied all the instructions. I think my problem is that I didn't install Aristeia in the right folder.

My Steam is located in Program Files (x86)>Steam.

Under Steam are many folders, including SteamApps; under SteamApps are a couple of folders, including Common.

Under Common are:
    empire total war
    rome total war alexander
    rome total war gold (I also have a boxed version of RTW, but it's in the Sega sub-folder of Program Files)

So, anyway, I installed Aristeia in the Common sub-folder. Then I followed the guide for setting the Alexander launch options with no problem. Launched Alexander, got the SEGA screen, but nothing further. Figured I had Aristeia in the wrong folder, so copied the Aristeia sub-folder to the "rome total war gold" folder. Same negative results. Should I have reinstalled Aristeia rather than copying the folder? Should I have installed Aristeia in the "rome total war alexander" folder?

YES! I just copied Aristeia to the "rome total war alexander" folder, tried it, and IT WORKS!

do you need some version of Rome Total War or Alexander

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Wallhalla View Post
    do you need some version of Rome Total War or Alexander
    Alexander only. Aristeia can't run on RTW or BI because it uses features that those .exes don't have.

If anybody has any interest in playing over steam (even with NTW or Shogun2) then post up your steam details here and people will add you.

Also feel free to add me (my details are on my profile).

Hi everyone! I recently tried to install Aristeia using the new guide, but when I launch Alexander comes up, not the mod. I installed the mod in "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander"

I also set the launch options to -applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -mod:aristeia. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?