Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Default Re: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
    Everything went fine when I tried with Third Age instead of Call of Warhammer. I guess my problem was due the double use of removal, but I don't really want to test it since I fixed more by luck than by actual knowledge

Awesome tool SteamKnight, just add a disclaimer to don't remove the same entries more than once, even if it appears listed as two different ones ^^
    No need to do so as the next version will only allow each thing to be added one time and once removed the option is disabled unlessthe keys are added again.

I added a new version which limits the keys to only one per mod in the regsitry. The buttons are now enabled or disabled based on if they exist in the regsitry or not so you cannot accidentally remove more mods than exist or add multiple copies.

I need everyone's input for the next version:
    Should I modularize the presets file?

By this I mean:
    Should I break it up to make each mod have its own file?

Benefits to this approach: Each new or updated mod can pack its own preset file with the download for easier integration with this program. Can be easier to modfy and update each file or add new ones when this program is no longer supported (not that it is overly difficult now).

Downside: More files to manage. Very slight size increase in the program, not that its size is getting large at all.

With this approach I am also considering making the program installable to make sure everything stays where it is supposed to be. I will also allow multiple types for the presets which will be called configurations in the new version.

This program has seen quite a few downloads and this has convincedme to stick with it for a bit longer than intended. I am also going to have my code reviewed for efficiency within the next few days., though with as small as it is I do not see a huge issue with it.

I am also going to be revising my version numbers coming in the near future so there may be either a step back or a large jump forward, this is under consideration. I need input from the community on these planned changes as right now the program is technically complete.

If you are interested in BETA testing the new version which will be an installer with separate configurations for each mod and POSSIBLY the ability to create new configurations from this program PLEASE SEND ME A PM.
    With the huge overhaul in that version I don't want it in the wild and need only a few people to help isolate the issues. I will test it as much as I am able but would like other machines to use for testing. I will NOT be responsible for damages incurred by the tests, though with the current success I do not intend issues to arise other than maybe a broken file for this program.

I see only benfits from modularazing the tool, a size increase for such a small tool doesn't hurt at all. Since I think this is a great tool, I'm going to advertizing it in some italian forum ^^

Oh and I still need to install some major mods like SS and Call of Warhammer, so I might be one of your testers

Quote Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
    I see only benfits from modularazing the tool, a size increase for such a small tool doesn't hurt at all. Since I think this is a great tool, I'm going to advertizing it in some italian forum ^^

Oh and I still need to install some major mods like SS and Call of Warhammer, so I might be one of your testers
    Alright I will work on the modularizing later today and tomorrow. I am not sure if I want to keep the current structure of the preset file or change it around a little bit. I may make two ways of handling them so whichever people find earier Iam not sure yet.

CoW and SS already are part of the program so you can test them from there or if you want to test the new version I can do that as well once it is done.

Wanted to let you guys know the new version is delayed slightly due to personal reasons and I am havingmy current code reviewed, but should be out soon.

Here are the things to keep an eye out for in the next release:
    - Modular configurations for each mod (each mod will contain its own "preset" file, these files will not be named presets anymore but perform the same function)
    - Button to correct white GUI issue by deleting the offending file
    - Installable application (if you guys do NOT want this change please let me know before I release the new ones, reasons for this are below)
    - Better management of installed mods

Also being considered:
    - Ability to add your own mods if the author did not include the proper data file to work with this program
    - Merge configuration files to a masterlist

The reason for installing this now is to keep better track of all the files. Since now there is the possibility of having one file per mod (before installation) it will get messy and there needs to be a consistant place to look for these files. I will try and write in a way to merge them all into one file, but that is for after I know this new update will work. I know some poeple don't like having more programs installed than they need so it is possible the current version will get the same additions but stay 'portable'. That may not be initially though for the version's release.

Please include all opinions for consideration before release. I look for what you guys say to make this better when I update it, as well as fixing bugs.
    If you are interested in testing the new versions before I release them please PM me with the subject being 'Beta tester'. I cannot pick everyone to beta test but I will send out a few prerelease copies for the ones who are interested.

If you have other proposed changes please let me know so I can see about getting them in the next version if they are reasonable.

alhoon's Avatar Moderator

+ rep

Could you make it so that we could type the name of the mod we want added?

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    + rep

Could you make it so that we could type the name of the mod we want added?
    Do you mean like a custom file for the mod or just to find it easier in the list?

Sorry for the lack of an update guys I know I am quite behind when I said I would have it out but such is life when stuff piles up. If anyone really wants a feature added or something fixed let me know otherwise it is on hold again since it seems to work fine now.

Some of the changes are pretty big and affect quite a bit of the code but I will work on them as I have time. Keep posting issues or suggestions here and I will tackle them if I am able.

I got the modularization worked out and even will be including a template file for you all. However I am looking to make the interface more intuitive and need suggestions. I was thinking of making it easier to see what mods were installed at a glance and which are available for install.

Also, would you all like a way to create and edit the confgurations from within the program or are external editors acceptable? I know there are only a limited number of mods but this could be useful to some people.

Do you guys want to be able to run the mod from my program as well and bypass the actual game launcher or not?

Looking for input to get the next version put out. I will have some previews of a new interface later to get feedback on it.

Hey SteamKnight, i really love your program. I had almost given up on getting Third Age to work with STEAM, but with your program it worked like a charm. Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Nuncii Mortis View Post
    Hey SteamKnight, i really love your program. I had almost given up on getting Third Age to work with STEAM, but with your program it worked like a charm. Keep up the good work
    Glad to hear it, there hasn't been much feedback since the issues were fixed.

I am however finalizing a new version (which will be release version 1.0) which greatly enhances the interface and adds a few more features. I have made it alot easier to see at a glance which mods are installed. I am looking into a few things before release: hiding/restricting the ability to add mods that arent installed, and running the mod from my application bypassing the game launcher. I may release it before these features are complete but that will just be a minor update.

Keep an eye out for the new version coming sometime within the next week.

Alright guys finally version 1.0 of the program is done.

As you can see the whole interface is redone to make it easier to see which mods are installed at a glance.

To install or remove the mod from the launcher use the File menu. I will add another way in the next small update.

Right now this is a public test so I left up the previous version in case anyone has issues. You can hide mods from the launcher by removing the corresponding XML file from the data folder. I did include a template file for anyone who needs to make a new one or replace one.
    Note: Currently the URL node of the XML file is NOT used in the program at all but should be included in any new files. I will correct this later.

You can double click an item to see the description in a small message box. I will add a context menu to the program to make things easier as well.

One of the next couple of versions will be completely final unless there is a major bug or issue. Once I add in a way to keep track of the view settings and allow for color changes for selected and installed mods. If anyone has any issues with the current colors let me know and I will change them. I just thought these worked best for the time being.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I KNOW the view setting is NOT saved currently but it is being worked on. I have been working on more school material so that is why this update was so delayed.

I noticed quite a few people downloaded the new version so far. Does anyone have any suggestions for changes, features, or improvements they would like to see added? I should have some time free this coming weekend to add stuff in or fix things if broken.

Any feedback welcome.

I don't think v1.0 is even working for me. I want to install Retrofit, but it doesn't display a progress bar or anything. It just turns the entry green. Where does the installer find the files for the mods? For Retrofit, all I have is an .exe.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Spartan II View Post
    I don't think v1.0 is even working for me. I want to install Retrofit, but it doesn't display a progress bar or anything. It just turns the entry green. Where does the installer find the files for the mods? For Retrofit, all I have is an .exe.
    When it is added to the launcher correctly it turns green. I didn't include any sort of popup but I am going to for the next version.

This doesn't actually "install" the full mods, you still need to do that manually. What it does is install them to the launcher, I guess the name is a bit misleading so I will look into that as well for thenext version but its a minor issue.

Green means installed correctly and found in the registry so do not panic. If you installed Retrofit correctly then run your kingdoms.exe and when you click Play it should show up on the launcher. Clicking it, again with the mod correctly installed before running my application, will launch the retrofit mod.

The only thing is when I actually try to install Retrofit, I get the usual message saying that I don't have a valid Kingdoms installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Spartan II View Post
    The only thing is when I actually try to install Retrofit, I get the usual message saying that I don't have a valid Kingdoms installation.
    Does your Kingdoms game run normally?
    Can you run the mod without using this application?
    Is the Retrofit mod infact installed and installed correctly?
    What operating system are you using?

Any other information you think might be helpful would help me narrow this down for you.

Libertus

Excuse me for my idiocy, but i've still understand not how to make this work

I already have installed ( right 5 mins ago ) M2TW and Kingodoms with Steam, what have i to do now?

Just run this tool, you may need to do it as admin, and then select the mod in the list. With the mod selected click File and Submit. Then you run your game and you can choose the mod from the launcher.

This weekend I am going to look into making it easier to add then, either via double click or a context menu, and possibly being able to run the mods right from this program. I can't guarentee it will be done this weekend but an update should be soon, however I am going to mainly focus on bugs as opposed to new features for awhile.

Libertus

Thx for the tool man
    Last edited by suxdavide; March 24, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast