Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Default Re: Steam Mod Installer Tool

Are you all running the program as Administrator? Give that a shot. If you are I am stumped it works fine on my Windows 7 x64 machine and seems to work fine for some people. I will take a look at the code again tonight and see what I can figure out, but I do not see a reason it should be failing.

Are any of you using UAC that could lead to an issue too. And some antivirus or firewall programs may block the application since it writes to the registry.

If anyone with this program not working could check their registry and make sure they have an unofficial mod folder for the keys under their Medieval 2 keys that would be great.

Please check all above mentioned items and report back.
    Last edited by SteamKnight; January 02, 2011 at 07:50 PM.

I was having the same issue as many of the posters here and I found that my problem wasn't that I wasn't the administrator but that I wasn't running it as the administrator. To do this all you have to is click the Medieval2ModInstaller icon thingy once and then go to the file button in your options menu, at the top of the screen, and click run as administrator.
    I'm no computer person so if my description is badd sorry but it worked for me after I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by captainnemo55555 View Post
    I was having the same issue as many of the posters here and I found that my problem wasn't that I wasn't the administrator but that I wasn't running it as the administrator. To do this all you have to is click the Medieval2ModInstaller icon thingy once and then go to the file button in your options menu, at the top of the screen, and click run as administrator.
    I'm no computer person so if my description is badd sorry but it worked for me after I did that.
    I think also it has an issue if the tool cannot find the registry entries. If someone could verify they exst if the program is not working that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by captainnemo55555 View Post
    I was having the same issue as many of the posters here and I found that my problem wasn't that I wasn't the administrator but that I wasn't running it as the administrator. .
    YO I LOVE YOU BRO THAT SOLVED EBERYTHING

After installing/using the tool and everything, whenever I try to launch the mod I get to the title screen and then medieval 2 encounters an 'unspecified error'...

I've the same problem. After running the "Medieval2ModInstaller.exe", choosing "Call of Warhammer" and clicking "Submit" he answers with "Preset not applied. Besure you have sufficient privliges and and the data file is present and try again"

Even if I run it as administrator.

I'm using Win 7 64bit

But when I start steam now to play Medieval 2, I get the option to start "Call of Warhammer". If I do that, the standard starting screen is shown for some seconds before the game crashes back to desktop with an empty error message...

I have no idea how to solve this...

For a better reference I list my actions here:

1. Download and install Medieval 2 and Medieval 2 Kingdoms via Steam
    2. Installation of Call of Warhammer 1.4 in "...\Steam\steamapps\common\medieval ii total war\mods\COW"
    3. Installation of sound patch for COW
    4. Installation of english translation for COW
    5. Extraction of Steam Mod Installer
    6. Editing of the Registry with the following text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\Mods\Official\0004Call of Warhammer]
    "DisplayName"="Call of Warhammer"
    "GameExe"="kingdoms.exe"
    "Path"="mods/Call_of_Warhammer"
    "language"="english"
    "version"="1.05.000"
    "FullName"="Call of Warhammer"

7. Running the Medieval2ModInstaller.exe as administrator
    8. Afterwards (when I noticed that it wouldn't work like that) I shifted the Steam Mod Installer files in my COW directory and tried the same. With the same result...

Any idea? Would be great if solvable!

Ok. Got it myself.

My installation folder was named "...\mods\COW" while any program (I guess it was the Steam Mod Installer?) created a "...\mods\Call_of_Warhammer" folder with two empty (!) sub folders.

I shifted all the stuff from "...\mods\COW" to "...\mods\Call_of_Warhammer" and see... it worked.

Thank you for the perfect steam implementation!!!

hey I downloaded the Medieval 2 mod Installer and every time I try to run it i ge the same error message: how do I fix this? I've tried running the program as an Administrator but it doesn't work. Just gives me the same message.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthGarrus View Post
    hey I downloaded the Medieval 2 mod Installer and every time I try to run it i ge the same error message: how do I fix this? I've tried running the program as an Administrator but it doesn't work. Just gives me the same message.
    Verify the .dat file exists in the same directory as the executable. That is the first thing to check. I have begun to work on this with another person but we both have limited time to do work on the application. It seems that alot of erros are completely random and it is hard to pinpoint them.

I am working on this as much as I am able, as is the other person helping with it. We cannot guarentee any specific time table for updates or fixes for issues. Please be patient with us while they are addressed. If anyone with more C# experience would like to help out please send me a PM and I will see about getting you into the project.

A bug has currently been found regarding the added registry entries and a fix is in the works. It causes the game to crash on launch due to an incorrect value in the registry. Seems to have been just a small typo in the program code. I should have a new version up to fix this by early next week, the delay is due to a second fix that should fix the errors people keep reporting. I have an idea for what the issue is as I finally isolated it on one of my own systems.

Expect a new version soon.

Version 0.5 now added to original post.

This version now adds the ability to remove the selected mod from the registry. However currently if you have multiple nodes for the same mod in the registry you have to click remove multiple times. This will be corrected in the next minor version.

Please report any issues that you all may have with this though it should be ironed out by now.

The removing option ed so much my registry that I got a weird "DCOM error" which forces my computer to reboot after a couple of minutes, like the old virus used to do before microsoft service pack 2.

My bad that I didn't think about backupping the whole , now I have to format everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
    The removing option ed so much my registry that I got a weird "DCOM error" which forces my computer to reboot after a couple of minutes, like the old virus used to do before microsoft service pack 2.

My bad that I didn't think about backupping the whole , now I have to format everything...
    Sorry to hear about this, the issue never came up in testing. I basically had the program run the removal for Third age a few times and didn't have any issue.

A few questions to isolate the issue:
    - Which mod did you add? How many times?
    - Was the mod you wanted removed selected before clicking Remove?
    - How many times did you hit remove?

Well it was more a mistake from me than a real flaw of your installar, since I run Call of Warhammer twice before the first time I did I hadn't yet installed the last patch, so since it wasn't working I thought I had to run your application again after patching it.

It didn't work, so I removed both Call of Warhammer "versions", hitting remove button twice, once per version.

Luckly in the end I manage to find an old registry backup so I didn't format anything, now I'm trying to see if the whole things was due a failure in my Call of Warhammer installation or by a misuse of the application

I'm running windows XP btw

Quote Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
    Well it was more a mistake from me than a real flaw of your installar, since I run Call of Warhammer twice before the first time I did I hadn't yet installed the last patch, so since it wasn't working I thought I had to run your application again after patching it.

It didn't work, so I removed both Call of Warhammer "versions", hitting remove button twice, once per version.

Luckly in the end I manage to find an old registry backup so I didn't format anything, now I'm trying to see if the whole things was due a failure in my Call of Warhammer installation or by a misuse of the application

I'm running windows XP btw
    I can later attempt an installation on XP in a virtual machine and give it a shot to see what happens. I did my testing with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. There was a bug in the .dat file for the old version that could have caused the issue for you. If you didn't replace that or if you had the old entry that could have caused an issue as well. Keep me updated as to what you find. I will also be including a warning in the next version's readme letting people know that it is advised they backup the regsitry keys for at least the game installation.

I am going to look at the removal code to allow it to remove all entries for the specified mod at once if more than one is found, or removal all but 1 of them and then prompt. Suggestions welcome for this.

Hello, I want to thank you for your amazing work. Even though you are on your way out of overseeing this mod, could you please take one last simple request? I need to be able to launch the "Third_Age_SP" mod from Steam to make it work properly.

Better known as Hero of the West's mod compilation added to the vanilla mod of Third Age. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=419958

Unfortunately some of the included mods in this compilation will only work if the folder from which it is being launched is named "Third_Age_SP".

Basically this means that its the vanilla third age mod plus this compilation. I would really appreciate your help in this as it is very frustrating to me to not be able to make this work simply because they decided to add an "_SP" to the end of the mod folder's name.

Or if this is too much work, could you please tell me how to change the folder name that the Steam Launcher uses so I can make it recognize and launch my "Third_Age_SP" folder?

Thank you very much for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxAngel7 View Post
    Hello, I want to thank you for your amazing work. Even though you are on your way out of overseeing this mod, could you please take one last simple request? I need to be able to launch the "Third_Age_SP" mod from Steam to make it work properly.

Better known as Hero of the West's mod compilation added to the vanilla mod of Third Age. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=419958

Unfortunately some of the included mods in this compilation will only work if the folder from which it is being launched is named "Third_Age_SP".

Basically this means that its the vanilla third age mod plus this compilation. I would really appreciate your help in this as it is very frustrating to me to not be able to make this work simply because they decided to add an "_SP" to the end of the mod folder's name.

Or if this is too much work, could you please tell me how to change the folder name that the Steam Launcher uses so I can make it recognize and launch my "Third_Age_SP" folder?

Thank you very much for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.
    Well I can include it in the new version I plan to finalize and have released this weekend. I worked on some of the code to allow wach mdo to be added only 1 time to the registry and I cleaned up the removal code.

Is all of the information the same as a normal Third Age install with the exception of the folder name? Or was a configuration changed?

Actually, I was able to modify the settings file that comes with the download so it recognizes the new folder name in my mods folder. Thanks for your quick response anyway though, I prefer it this way anyway so I don't have the "internet guilt" of making you do something just for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxAngel7 View Post
    Actually, I was able to modify the settings file that comes with the download so it recognizes the new folder name in my mods folder. Thanks for your quick response anyway though, I prefer it this way anyway so I don't have the "internet guilt" of making you do something just for me lol.
    Well it woudn't have been just for you since others may benefit but you did give me an idea on what to do for my program to improve it. I am goign to make the config files more modular and allow others to create their own. They can then pack one with their mods/updates and others can run it from the program. This way there isn't a reliance on me to post a new file or others to keep modifying one. This will delay the update sligthly but I will just do it as two. One with the latest changes then a ne wmajor build with that change.

Thanks for the idea.

Everything went fine when I tried with Third Age instead of Call of Warhammer. I guess my problem was due the double use of removal, but I don't really want to test it since I fixed more by luck than by actual knowledge

Awesome tool SteamKnight, just add a disclaimer to don't remove the same entries more than once, even if it appears listed as two different ones ^^

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast